Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=54f823833bdba47db3937c0312831db7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume Artwork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tawny (Tawny)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Costume Artwork Reply with quote

This probably should be in a bigger forum, but since it's Padme related I thought I would put it here.

I've notice a large influx of artwork (with limited views of the costumes) being approved as member costuming in the RL and 501st. If this is the case, can Padme concept artwork from DaG be acceptable as well?

For example-
http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/blackinvasion/black_invasion_concept.jpg

If that one doesn't work-
http://www.rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/escape/escapeconcept.jpg

Looking forward to discussion
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artwork is fine as long as you have head to toe and front and back of the costume. It doesn't have to be all in two images, but you do need references of the different parts of the costume.
As far as I'm aware there are no other images of the concept art Black Invasion gown, so it does lack back references.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I was against removing the informal category. She has already made this costume and it is AMAZING! And would have fit perfectly into the informal category for those costumes that only have 1 reference picture.
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
flutefreak05 (Lauren Lys)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen tawnys padme in person many times. Isn't Mara Jade approved off a book cover?
The Flagship Eclipse Detachment PR Officer
Tawny (Tawny)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lauren, is the Mara Jade you're talking about the single front shot? I've seen this book cover version approved with just the front shot. I'm not aware of any other 'official' artwork for this one, or a back rendering. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen it.

Amanda, what exactly was the informal category? Was this the one the dress was set up to apply for a few years back before it changed and she was shut out by the rule change?

Just as a note- the Padme wasn't built specifically to be in the Rebel Legion. I built it because I liked the design better than the one on screen. People at cons keep asking why it's not approved. It's good to have a solid answer so I can explain it.
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be formal and informal costumes. You had to have at least one formal costume with the legion before you could have any informal costumes.

The revision before informal was gotten rid of was that any costume with a written standard or that had enough reference pictures to be formal couldn't be informal. Informal was for costume that didn't have enough reference pictures to be formal. Which is where your Padme and several other costumes would have fit into the Rebel Legion (though you would have needed a different formal costume approved first).

But the last revision got rid of the informal category completely, which effectively booted several costumes out of the Rebel Legion. Crying or Very sad The Syal Antilles I was working on at the time informal was removed has since been scrapped since she only has 1 reference picture as well.
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody ask the reason is quite simple: it lacks references, because it is a concept art piece. Smile

As the charter stands you need references of both/all sides for the costume to be approvable and sadly this one don't. The charter requires references of the whole costume to ensure a costume can be made accurately and that people don't just make things up.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present, we don't really have a way for that to be formally approved. As others have said, you'd need front and back shots of that sketch. I hope that we at some point get a new costume approval status like the previous informal status to deal with costumes that have fewer than the required reference images.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Tawny (Tawny)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Recently as I was perusing through characters to possibly construct for membership, I did find approvable characters that lack the stated required references. It might be an issue someone needs to take a look at for consistency. If the approval rules are universal but some characters are being accepted that lack appropriate references, it's frustrating for potential members that want clarification for accuracy.

I can help identify those if needed, I've found more than a few.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, you don't need standards to get a costume approved. I've got something like 3 or 4 legion-first costumes that did not have standards at the time of application. If standards don't exist, that's when the front and back, head-to-toe photo rule comes into play. You can piece together reference photos, for example if you have a waist-up shot from the back and another waist-down back shot, that counts as your full head-to-toe back reference.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: