Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=10932e6eb9f06acd83020433bd401462Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee Costume Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela, there is differing information out there. I have an article in which GL said Wookiees have six breasts. The Dark horses comic shows Malla with two. This is what I propose: finish your build, enjoy it, submit it if you'd like. Until we see it finished, we can't judge it. And I have told you many MANY times how beautiful I think the colouring is. I'm also interested to see the face finished. I propose that everyone let the subject be until such a time as Angela has her build completed. In the mean time, let's use this thread for its actual purpose and work on the standards we have. Keep it civil, people, we are all Wookiee brethren here!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, are we still talking about Wookiee tatas?

The 6-breasted thing was a half serious remark Lucas made in a 1983 time magazine interview. He's said a lot of things over the years that never went anywhere. This appears to be one of those things.

Look, go through some of the fem Wookiees in the big list o' Wookiees post. Some are barrel chested, some have a feminine physique. Evidence for a wide variety of body types.

It doesn't need to be that complicated.
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm fine with a feminine wook. My only concern would be some sort of Jessica Rabbit looking thing that looks like it ought to have deep purple eye shadow and blood red lipstick on to match, which is what I meant when I was saying "as long as it's not a caricature." RL to me implies some dignity and reverence for the source material, that was my only interest in the conversation!

Now that photos have been posted, it seems pretty understated to me and I don't see a big deal. People kept harping on "cleavage" and "cleavage" seemed an important feature to Angela, which to me painted a different picture in my mind's eye.

I'm sure GL's remarks were almost certainly tongue in cheek, but at the same time, it's probably the most canon reference we have for female wooks. I can understand why people would get frustrated over that.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's something we need to worry about. Even with a body builder or a Jessica Rabbit physique, the hair doesn't really follow the contours of what is underneath and even the most extreme features will look very subtle.
Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I am not native speaker. Sorry for my bad English, but I hope you will understand my statement.

1. I am very interested in building a wookiee. At the moment only Gungi would be possible for me to build, because of my size 156 cm. But i think there are many wookiees between 150 - 210 cm. so i would like to have the possibility to make a smaller wookiee, that is not Gungi.

2. I, as a European, would be very very happy if I could find also metric measurements at the costume standards. 5"8' (1.77 m)

yours
Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that generic wookiees should probably include a child/youngling wookiee standard since we have Gungi as a "hero" example.

I wouldn't worry that we'll see a huge flood of "Rubies style" wookiees who are "too short" because I think most people doing this costume want the attention-getting height anyway..?
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the females stood 2.1 meters on average... or roughly 6 foot 8 inches (I had proposed a minimum of 6 foot 6 inches) the worry of overly large child wookiees. Child wookiees even Gungi and Lumpy were about the size of a 13 or 14 year old child. That would be about 5 foot to 5 foot 6 inches on average.

What I would like to propose is.....

Male adult wookiees Minimum height 7 foot to 8 foot (most wont go above 8 foot anyways) This would include Chewbacca and Tarfful.

Female and Elder wookiees Minimum height 6 foot 6 inches to 7 foot 4 inches
(most of the females that do have heights stated were not above 7 foot 2 inches and that was considered tall for a female)

Child wookiees Maximum height of 5 foot 6 and below. (a full foot below the females and elders so to clearly mark the height difference)

Those that would have white on the face the skin be light in color (light tan, pink or dark pink for albino) with no blackout on the eyes if in that area (no raccoon eyes lol)

Gloves are optional! Most of us hate them anyways but still have the arm fur come down over the hands to hide them if need be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
If the females stood 2.1 meters on average... or roughly 6 foot 8 inches (I had proposed a minimum of 6 foot 6 inches) the worry of overly large child wookiees. Child wookiees even Gungi and Lumpy were about the size of a 13 or 14 year old child. That would be about 5 foot to 5 foot 6 inches on average.

What I would like to propose is.....

Male adult wookiees Minimum height 7 foot to 8 foot (most wont go above 8 foot anyways) This would include Chewbacca and Tarfful.

Female and Elder wookiees Minimum height 6 foot 6 inches to 7 foot 4 inches (most of the females that do have heights stated were not above 7 foot 2 inches and that was considered tall for a female).

I disagree. I believe a minimum height for an adult Wookiee, male or female, should be minimum 7 foot and there should be no restrictions put on a height ceiling. If someone wants to build a 9 foot Wookiee, I say go for it.

Kallabeccani wrote:
Child wookiees Maximum height of 5 foot 6 and below. (a full foot below the females and elders so to clearly mark the height difference).

In my opinion, child wookiees should be 6 foot maximum but preferably not above 5 foot 8.

Kallabeccani wrote:
Those that would have white on the face the skin be light in color (light tan, pink or dark pink for albino) with no blackout on the eyes if in that area (no raccoon eyes lol)

I am absolutely against the idea of skin revealed on a Wookiee face of any description. A hairy face is part of the Wookiee character, otherwise in my opinion the costume will look like a large hairy ape. Blackout around the eyes is a must.

Kallabeccani wrote:
Gloves are optional! Most of us hate them anyways but still have the arm fur come down over the hands to hide them if need be.

In my opinion, gloves should be worn at all times when in costume.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understamd the need for the nose to remain a darker color but the skin around the eyes depending on the fur coloration may change from wook to wook similar to some breeds of dogs or any other mammals, having to make a.light colored wook use blackout make up could result in a very tacky look because of the "racoon maks effect" honestly I think judgment on that should be reserved until we can see a renders or a completed face mask with the light colored fur and various skin tones to confim whether or it is should always be a black out. Im just saying keep an open mind, other fleshtones may work better for different colors than another. As long as they are natural colors of course.

Most of the female wooks I am seeing in the references are slightly shorter than the males. Your average male wookiee stand around 7'3 to 7'6 (give or take) but are usually no taller than 7'8. but the average female is considered to be "large for her size" if she is in the range of 7'2 to 7'4. With these measurements in mind it would be safe to assume that anything lower than 6'9 for a full grown female is considered to be short or even an "adolescent", but to maintain standards I think 6'9 is a good minimum hight for females.

I am seeing that a child wook can be shorter than 6' as well, seeing as Gungi stands only 1.53 meters tall that puts him just around 5'3, which is a pretty normal size fpr a 12 to 16 year old child. So to say that a child wook must be 6ft is frankly being unfair to potential members interested in making a younger wook, I wouldnt however suggest going any smaller than that in order to prevent ewok sized wookies from coming out of the woodwork.

These are just my opinions based on the materialsI have seen and read.
WalkingCarpet ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the black eye comment is in reference to Tojjevvuk, who is an albino Wookiee. In the picture provided, you can see around his eyes that there is pink skin, so in this case it might be better to opt for pink instead of black.

[/img]
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you link the wrong image? I'm seeing black around the eyes there.

We're going to get back into the territory where we have to question how many references are required to claim that something is supported by the lore. How many reference images are there for albino wookiees? I know that there was at least one braided white wookiee in the Dark Horse comics but his name escapes me. I can't recall whether the artwork was ever detailed enough to determine skin color beneath the fur.

In the image you linked, the eyes definitely look blacked-out to me.

With a wook mask on, the only way you're going to get "raccoon eyes" is if the eyeholes are enormous. With my mask on you can barely see the blackout at all except on my lower eyelids. It's just there to prevent that 3-8mm band of pale skin making the eyes look odd.
hyperguyver2 (James Kelly)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to p ick any fights here but to defend his photo of the ALBINO wookiee, I provided the definition of albinism to clarify his intent.

Albino: A person or animal lacking normal pigmentation, with the result being that the skin and hair are abnormally white.

The referenced photo in question is a solid example once this definition is known and understood. The "black" around the eyes is an art technique to give the illusion of depth and to make a character appear more intimidating or add a sence of primal fear to the reader or viewer. I'm sorry if this seems like I am doggin on you but I had to make sure his intent of this example was clarified as objectively as possible.
Bacca9 (Jamie)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are both correct: the definition of Albino is as James has stated, however, as Mark pointed out, the reference photo provided shows decidedly black colouring around the eyes. It's a good thing albinism is so rare in Wookiees as it was considered a "bad omen," Albino Wooks wouldn't have passed their genetics on through offspring.

As far as the height requirements, I agree with Sez that all Wookiees, save for Gungi and Lumpy, need to meet a minimum of 7'. I have only found examples of "ancient" Wookiees shrinking in height to below the 7' mark, male or female.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
hyperguyver2 (James Kelly)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say but you are referring to an illustration technique as I had mentioned. I myself have used this technique many times and should be disregarded in this discussion.

So you are meaning to tell me that even though I can provide the height in either meters or inches as provided in their official profiles and the information is to be disregarded as opposed to discussed in order to reach a standing point? I'm sorry but this does not sit well with me, what is the point of this discussion if any facts and evidence or any attempts to reach a compromise provided will simply be thrown out?
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookiees of the jungle planet Kashyyyk were shaggy sentient beings whose countenance was considered impressive by many other species. They were humanoid in shape, with a head, a torso, and four limbs, and they stood 2.1 meters on average

2.1 meters is equal to 6 foot 9 inches

Nikaede Celso was a female Wookiee who was the companion of Drake Paulsen. She was 2.4 meters tall, which was large for her species.

2.4 meters is equal to 7 foot 9

Syychi was a female albino Wookiee. She stood nearly 2.4 meters tall, and was generally a silent individual when her temper was not aroused.

Granakk was a female Wookiee who was exiled by her species from her homeworld of Kashyyyk. Height 2.25 meters

2.25 meters is equal to 7 foot 4 inches

Yes some females did get above 7 foot but even as it states.... Wookiees on average were 2.1 meters. That is clearly UNDER 7 foot. I was not saying that all wookiees had to be under this 7 foot mark but would be wise for females and even elders to be closer to the stated and published height to show the difference that they are smaller than the males who were supposed to be bigger.

As for skin tones: White gorillas can have either black or flesh toned skin. This is not albinism either. Gorillas were the main bases of the head and upper body to the wookiee. Although many might think Bear was the first choice.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=white+gorilla&qpvt=white+gorilla&qpvt=white+gorilla&FORM=IGRE

Bi-colored animals that are any shade of coloring + white will have bi-colored skin with white areas of the skin being flesh toned and darker colored areas being grey to black or shades of brown in the same pattern as the hair. as defined by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piebald A piebald or pied animal is one that has a spotting pattern of large unpigmented, usually white, areas of hair, feathers, or scales and normally pigmented patches, generally black. The colour of the animal's skin underneath its coat is also pigmented under the dark patches and unpigmented under the white patches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: