Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0085f82aeb96f50658c895c6580cb5b2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee Costume Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad_muppet wrote:

Then again isn't there a costume standard for Ice Cream Guy? I'm sure I've seen an approved costume of him.

Actually..
there is a standard for Wilrow Hood...aka "Ice Cream Maker Guy"

REQUIRED ITEMS

1. Orange flight suit with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, code cylinder pocket on upper left arm, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, and thigh pockets (upper set required, lower set optional). No visible zippers or snaps.

2. Mid-calf black boots (Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable. No lace up boots. High-Calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the flight suit legs.)

3. Old vintage motorized white or light colored ice cream maker.

4. Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket. Two minimum, three maximum.

5. Comm pad visible inside comm pad pocket on lower left arm.

6. Hair, mustache and sideburns of a natural hair color matching your own color need to be a similar style seen on the character. Wigs (and fake mustaches/sideburns) are permitted, but must appear natural. As with any face character, you must try to resemble that character.

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, and how much reference material can possibly be available for him? Like 3 seconds of footage and maybe a behind the scenes shot or interview mention somewhere? So, it seems like a standard can be built even with limited visual reference, right?
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with Wilrow...it was evident that they just stuck an ice cream maker in the hands of someone with parts of an X-Wing Pilot's costume...
with that in mind...
there is plenty of reference material on X-Wing pilots..

mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
with Wilrow...it was evident that they just stuck an ice cream maker in the hands of someone with parts of an X-Wing Pilot's costume...
with that in mind...
there is plenty of reference material on X-Wing pilots..

Hmm yeah fair enough. He's wearing highly recognizable components and carrying around a recognizable re-purposed artifact (like most OT props I guess.)
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Oh hey, nice mustache!!)

Mr. Green
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad_muppet wrote:

Mr. Green

it is a good look for me..

Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want information on female wookiees? I been working on this for 3 years by using the information Gotwookiee has posted, my own findings and information that I have asked Peter Mayhew about.

Female wookiees come in the same colors as male wookiees although funny as I found it about 45% of the females researched were Bi-colored with white or light grey (Pale grey) markings, 55% were solid or bi-colored (darker grey included).

They also had slightly longer hair much like us human females. Some tended to adorn fancy beads to their hair as well.

They are smaller in stature with a feminine body and defined chest area (yes somewhat of a cleavage). Thus meaning if you have a minimum height of 7 foot for males it would be advisable that females minimum height would be about 6.5 foot and maximum of 7.5 foot.

Although many females were mostly those that took care of the elderly and families or even the nesting rings, some fought along side their mates....the female Wookiee Ovarra acted as a Chieftan. A well known female being Han Solo's first wookiee friend Dewlannamapia, also known by the shortened name Dewlanna, was a female Wookiee who, at an old age, followed her mate Isshaddik in his exile from their homeworld of Kashyyyk. There was also a female wookiee jedi whose name escapes me at the moment.... But this is mostly Legend stuff now.

The only canon female wookiee known to date is Mallatobukk the mate to Chewbacca. She was half a head shorter than her mate probably making her just barely over 7 foot. If you look at the holiday special when Malla wore no apron you can see a very distinct and defined chest area (almost Pamala Anderson of the female wooks).

What Mad_muppet thinks he see's as fringe is actually Malla's arm hair. With her arms straight down she looked much thicker through the body and not feminine at times. This didn't help as it was also a male actor who also played her (poor Peter). When wearing the apron or even the life day robes you could tell Malla was thinner than the male wooks.

does this give you a good start?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
mad_muppet wrote:

Mr. Green

it is a good look for me..

Looking good, Phyllis!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Bacca9 (Jamie)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
You want information on female wookiees? I been working on this for 3 years by using the information Gotwookiee has posted, my own findings and information that I have asked Peter Mayhew about.

Female wookiees come in the same colors as male wookiees although funny as I found it about 45% of the females researched were Bi-colored with white or light grey (Pale grey) markings, 55% were solid or bi-colored (darker grey included).

They also had slightly longer hair much like us human females. Some tended to adorn fancy beads to their hair as well.

They are smaller in stature with a feminine body and defined chest area (yes somewhat of a cleavage). Thus meaning if you have a minimum height of 7 foot for males it would be advisable that females minimum height would be about 6.5 foot and maximum of 7.5 foot.

Although many females were mostly those that took care of the elderly and families or even the nesting rings, some fought along side their mates....the female Wookiee Ovarra acted as a Chieftan. A well known female being Han Solo's first wookiee friend Dewlannamapia, also known by the shortened name Dewlanna, was a female Wookiee who, at an old age, followed her mate Isshaddik in his exile from their homeworld of Kashyyyk. There was also a female wookiee jedi whose name escapes me at the moment.... But this is mostly Legend stuff now.

The only canon female wookiee known to date is Mallatobukk the mate to Chewbacca. She was half a head shorter than her mate probably making her just barely over 7 foot. If you look at the holiday special when Malla wore no apron you can see a very distinct and defined chest area (almost Pamala Anderson of the female wooks).

What Mad_muppet thinks he see's as fringe is actually Malla's arm hair. With her arms straight down she looked much thicker through the body and not feminine at times. This didn't help as it was also a male actor who also played her (poor Peter). When wearing the apron or even the life day robes you could tell Malla was thinner than the male wooks.

does this give you a good start?

Yes, that is a great start, thank you. Though it differs slightly from the research Sez and I have been doing lately:

Wookiees are humanoid in shape, with a head, a torso, and four limbs, and they stand 2.1 meters on average. Their upper limbs, or arms, ended with hands sporting four fingers plus an opposable thumb that allowed them to grab things. Being a species of tree-climbers, Wookiees had a strong back, dexterous hands and thick calve muscles. For the same evolutionary reasons, they also possessed curved retractable claws that sprouted from hidden sheaths in their fingertips with the flex of a muscle. Their heads featured a pair of forward-facing eyes, the color of which ranged from blue to brown, with some individuals having green, yellow golden or red irises.
Wookiees have a uniform coat of water-shedding hair, the color of which ranges from black to brown according to the subspecies. In fact, the word "Wookiee" was in fact a catch-all term referring to a number of related races that could be distinguished primarily by their fur. The most common subspecies were the Rwooks, who came from the region of Rwookrrorro and whose hair was typically brown, red and chestnut. Although albino Wookiees were rare, they were not unheard of. However, such a birth was generally held to be a bad omen, as white hair did not blend in with the earth tones of their forest surroundings.
Like many other humanoids, the Wookiees had two sexes; male and female. Female Wookiees had six breasts and gave birth to live-born young, with their gestation period nearly a year long. Wookiee pups were large at birth, averaging slightly less than one meter. After birth, a Wookiee grew very fast, fully conscious and able to walk unassisted within one standard year. During the course of maturation, the individual would grow to about 2 meters, with exceptionally tall individuals attaining 2.3 meters. However, cases of nanism were rumored to exist, and very old Wookiees tended to shrink, becoming as short 1.70 meters.

Sources:
↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 The Essential Guide to Alien Species
↑ Alien Encounters
↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Rebel Dawn
↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 117 ("rwook")
↑ Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 The Official Star Wars Fact File 12 (WOO1-4, Wookiees)
↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
↑ 8.0 8.1 Databank title Salporin in the Databank (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
↑ 10.0 10.1 The Essential Guide to Characters
↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Databank title Attichitcuk in the Databank (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Ultimate Alien Anthology
↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 14.6 14.7 14.8 14.9 Secrets of Kashyyyk
↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Tyrant's Test
↑ Gal-icon Character Creation Guide on the official Star Wars Galaxies website (content now obsolete; backup links 1 2)
↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 Databank title Wookiee in the Databank (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
↑ SWGTCGsmall Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Threat of the Conqueror (Card: Fake ID)
↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 20.5 20.6 20.7 20.8 20.9 Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith The Visual Dictionary
↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
↑ Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (novel)
↑ 23.0 23.1 Star Wars: Chewbacca 1
↑ 24.0 24.1 Death Star
↑ Death Troopers
↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
↑ 27.0 27.1 The Star Wars Holiday Special
↑ Heir to the Empire
↑ Databank title Chewbacca in the Databank (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
↑ The Final Exit
↑ The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
↑ 32.0 32.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 65 ("Hrrtayyk")
↑ 33.0 33.1 The Wookiee Storybook
↑ 34.0 34.1 The Kashyyyk Depths'
↑ Deep Forest
↑ Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I
↑ 37.0 37.1 Rebel Dawn
↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
↑ Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
↑ The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
↑ Darth Plagueis
↑ For Fun and Profit
↑ SWAJsmall "Tinian on Trial"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
↑ The Power Gem
↑ Bounties to Die For
↑ Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 71 (RYY1-4, Ryyk Blades)
↑ Databank title Wookiee bowcaster in the Databank (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
↑ The Star Wars Sourcebook
↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 Knights of the Old Republic
↑ The Unknown Regions
↑ 52.0 52.1 Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
↑ Star Wars: Invasion of Theed Adventure Game
↑ The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
↑ Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees
↑ Pax Empirica—The Wookiee Annihilation
↑ Legacy Era Campaign Guide
↑ George Lucas Stole Chewbacca, But It's Okay at The Binary Bonsai
↑ Star Wars Insider #79 online supplement: Wookiees: No Trivia Too Small

We will continue to look into this going further and nothing will be finalised before it is posted here for the Wookiee community. Thank you for your input Smile Here's hoping we can come up with something beneficial for both Wookiees and the Legion as a hole.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your research is to go to wookieepedia and copy and paste a section? Have you went to any of the female wookiees pages and read up on them instead of common term of a wookiee?

Yes they are supposed to have 6 breasts but only 2 are clearly defined in any picture I have found coming to the conclusion that the other 4 must be much smaller and not defined.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela it would help to see canonical sources for your descriptions I think. I've seen only one female wookiee with a human-like feminine figure from one comic page. I sort of agree with Sez that they look more barrel chested rather than having any pronounced cleavage, which makes sense to me because that's how most hairy mammals tend to look unless they're actively nursing (breasts being basically invisible when not engorged). We know Chewie was based on a dog Lucas once had which I think lends more credence to that idea. Malla has a pronounced bump but I don't see the cleavage you see. I see a part in her fur.

What you wrote could be the result of research of canonical sources but without references it's not really possible to understand where in the available lore you found it.

The wookieepedia page is useful because it lists copious sources that can be verified. I admit I haven't made my way through all of them.

To me wookiees have a pretty androgenous appearance in most available media.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all go to the STICKY and look at BIG O LIST OF WOOKIEES! This has nearly all of the females either in games or books listed amongst them. Links to each of these females are provided. I also went a step further and went to multiple sources from thee names so as not to only use wookieepedia, which by the way can be altered by anyone.
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it can be altered by anyone is the reason primary sources are typically cited.

I'm not going to engage with the tone. I'm trying to help which is why I brought up ice cream maker guy.

Typically the member/costumer putting forward the build posts visuals or links to primary sources in their build thread to support characters that are less well known. I don't understand why that's unreasonable to you or why you won't cite anything specific.

If there is nothing then it may just be that the source material doesn't support the standard you're hoping for.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no tone to my last post.... I was just simply stating there is a list of 136 wookiees (so far as GotWookiee probably hasn't updated it in awhile) that have links to them. I went to all of these links and did my research as well as copying the name and looking into other sources.

But I will give tone to this since you seem so adamant about why I have no posted visuals on here even though it is more personal. I would ask for you to pay my Data charges so maybe I could do more on my phone than just post. Photobucket and many other places that you download photos to eat up my data plan. I can post pictures with relative ease to my facebook only at this time as even my laptop when it is being used is crap. I will also NOT record personal conversations with Peter Mayhew as that is rude. He is my Mentor and chief resource on the holiday special Malla.

Honestly you have derailed the thread once already and tend to want to provoke people into argument and would honestly ask that you stick to the topic in question. Stop worrying so much about myself and when you start asking reasonable questions I will answer. To the rest of you I am sorry if my comments seem to be coming off as rude, I work very long hours and little sleep can make me too forward at times.
Coryleeper (Cory Leeper)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I see your wookiee with the shirt and pants on, with the padded bra underneath?

I'm speaking hypothetically, but I'm assuming you're padding the chest to give it shape and proportion in relation to the legs, hips, height, to give it a femanine look?

It sure looks like boobs to me in the holiday special, and at this point, unless it's something so crazy insane over the top, seems pretty reasonable that boobs do come in all shapes and sizes in the wookiee world.

It's hard for me to form an opinion without seeing but Im being swayed a bit. I'm kinda of thinking I like your passion Angela... you really believe in what you are doing. I think the final thing for me is to actually see more of a finished product with hair covering the padded chest piece. (The one I saw was just the exposed netting with the padding exposed as well)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: