Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d6e06aaf66889f006316421a1e7af138Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee Costume Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had gotten rid of the word "formal" for just that reason. As far as height, Cory, Gungi has a height maximum of 6' and adult Wookiees have a height minimum of 7'. I don't believe we can do any more than suggest that Wookiees not be taller than 8'. We don't want to get too specific.

As far as the boxes, my intention was to give a screen accurate number of boxes only as a jumping off point, so to speak. I don't think we should allow for rubber boxes, but I also believe we'd all know if an applicant is using a cheap, rubber box haha. And we've already established that the Rubies suits are a definitive NO, so we shouldn't be seeing any of the Rubies bandoliers.

So, next thing I think we should work on is the bandolier and boxes. Again, let's go for suggested number of boxes and sizes for ROTS and do actual sizes for OT Chewies. Sound like a plan?

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Coryleeper (Cory Leeper)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a plus or minus factor on the number of bando boxes based on a couple of things. Maybe the boxes should be specified which box gets placed first (big, small, big, etc) starting from the bottom front of the bando based on accuracy. (I don't remember off hand which size comes first)

I guess what I meant by resin boxes resembling metal was to make sure whatever type of boxes used should definitely resemble metal boxes.

Doesn't surprise me ROTS has plastic bandos... I'll leave that one there.

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, photos added. Feel free to give a shout out if we need more or less. I will bullet point them as soon as I figure out how Smile

Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has also been suggested that we consider standards for Chewie's family: Lumpawarump (Lumpy), Mallatobuck (Malla), and Attichitcuk (Itchy). Thoughts? These could segue into standards for youth, elderly, and female Wooks at a later time if necessary.

Legion Costume Judge
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more diversity in RL wooks is a good thing, even though I think that Holiday Special is an abomination (like most sane people), awful wook costumes included.

I dunno... tough call. LOL. Smile
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about that until someone decides to build it. Trying to write CRL's for costumes that haven't been made yet can be problematic.
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all wookiees have dark skin so I would not say you had to black out the eyes. The albino wookiee had bright reddish pink skin and many that have white will have light skin in those areas.

We do have a female wookiee being built at the moment (my own wookiee) but it is not Mallatobukk although I plan to maybe try her down the road. I still follow the 7 foot minimum although they perhaps need to look at shortening that possibly to 6.5 as females wouldn't be as large as the males.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also 6 foot is a bit big for Gungi don't you think? The national average height is 5 foot 6 to 6 foot 2. This would cause a great influx in child wookiees because no one would want to do the height required for the adult wookiees. I would say 5 foot 6 would have been a better maximum height.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept myself out of this discussion so far as I'm technically no longer a Wookiee costumer, but here are a few things I would say based on the discussions so far.......

1) I completely agree that whatever standards that are made should be accurate AND attainable.
2) Rubies costumes should not be allowed. Even if they are modified, it is almost impossible to get them to look right and in proportion with the rest of the body.
3) I would make both the moving mouth and eye black recommendations, but not requirements. I never got my Chewie mouth to move because it was a kit, not a lifecast. I also never blacked out my eyes after my first couple troops. Maybe people noticed, maybe not, but I just didn't like it.
4) I think setting the ceiling for Gungi at 5'8" is a fair compromise. Because it's a face character, I don't feel the standards can get TOO far away from the "reality". I really don't see a whole giant influx of "short Wookiees" coming any time soon. Wookiees in general are such a time consuming, labor intensive costume, that I don't think people are going to throw one together just because there is a short one now!! lol
5) I wouldn't bother with creating standards for the Holiday Special Wooks either. Get the ones we have and know squared away and IF the day comes when someone wants to work on one of the others, we can use the standards that are there as a jumping off point.

I think you are all off to a great start on getting these things nailed down. Just remember there needs to be a compromise or a middle ground between the uber accurate people and the people like me who want it to look good, but aren't super worried about having everything blended and hairs counted and all that. Obviously, anything that is submitted for approval needs to be accurate to what we know these characters and species to be, but some areas of the SW costume community are taking the accuracy thing WAAAAAYYYY over the top IMO to the point of it becoming a deterrent that is keeping people away. I would hate to see that happen here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, brother!

Legion Costume Judge
hyperguyver2 (James Kelly)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy wrote:
5) I wouldn't bother with creating standards for the Holiday Special Wooks either. Get the ones we have and know squared away and IF the day comes when someone wants to work on one of the others, we can use the standards that are there as a jumping off point.

Here in lies a problem as we do have a member working on a female wookiee as we speak and the lack of a consistant guideline is proving as the largest hinderance to the build. Please get this hammered out because this will save current and future member alot of grief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyperguyver2 wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

Here in lies a problem as we do have a member working on a female wookiee as we speak and the lack of a consistant guideline is proving as the largest hinderance to the build. Please get this hammered out because this will save current and future member alot of grief

I agree with you. We need a standard for either Malla and/or a generic female Wookiee based on references (photos descriptions from books, comics, the Holiday Special, etc.) If it is the general opinion of the Wookiee community, Sez and I will start on something and post it for discussion.

Legion Costume Judge
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when Rebels came out, draft CRLs primarily originated with interested costumers and were discussed from there. Might be the way to start?

I think everyone's aware that this is a tough standard to quantify because of the relatively agendered appearance of the canon wookiees available that are also compatible with the Charter portions Grey Jedi posted. You've got the Holiday Special which I think most people recognize features a lower standard of wookiee costuming than the films, and you've got the hectic crowd/mob scenes in RotS where who knows if a female.wookiee is present or not?

In the Rebels pilot when they rescue the wookiee slaves, do they ever refer to gender? One acts paternally toward the child wook but they all look very similarly ungendered in that episode to me.

In my opinion most of Malla's feminine quality is in her face and maybe stature. Facial standards for wookiees seem VERY hard to write and harder still to enforce.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two female Wooks with a feminine physique.

mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that first one from an RPG Sourcebook? Looks like one. I know the second one is from Dark Horse.

I'm all for a feminine wook standard as long as it doesn't look like a caricature. There's costuming at conventions and then there's RL approval, which I think are two separate, somewhat distant groups of costumers separated by intent and "mission" for lack of a better word.

If it's credible, let's do it. There's a really unfortunate lack of reference material in this area and I think we'd be hard pressed to "justify" a standard to the level that other generic standards are "justified".

Then again isn't there a costume standard for Ice Cream Guy? I'm sure I've seen an approved costume of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: