Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7c62358d8ddfc1c5156cebe741de5d90Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Update - Jocasta Nu, AOTC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Update - Jocasta Nu, AOTC Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

General debate for a new update for the KJO Detachment

Please have a look at the following costume standard proposal and post your thoughts, ideas, suggestions in this thread.

Initial discussion I'd like to set as two weeks, but I understand we may need longer, let's see how it goes

Current Standard

http://www.rebellegion.com/jocasta-nu/

Required Items:

1. Yellow-gold or dirty yellow (yellow with a bit of brown) single layer outer tunic. The OT should have some light texture to it.

2. Obi and mid-calf length tabards of yellow-gold/dirty yellow fabric (different from the tunic), with appropriate dark brown embroidery. Obi and tabards should have roll hemmed edges.
Obi should meet together at the back and wrap left end over right in traditional Jedi style. No ties or ribbons.

3. Long dark brown (or black) wrap around skirt.

4. Dark brown (or black) inner tunic with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves. (Can also be a dark brown/black underdress with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves).

5. Dark brown or black boots--any height, the tops can't be seen under the skirt.

6. Hair in high bun at the back of the head with two chopsticks forming an X. Grey or white hair recommended. Any natural occuring hair color allowed.

7. Big brown suede pouch on the right below the obi. The pouch should be rounded and gathered with a thick black cord at the top. (Drawstring type). The cord should be long enough to hang down the length of the pouch when the pouch is pulled closed. A type of braided cord or similar preferred. The cord has two large black beads or similar at the ends. (One for each end).

8. Jedi librarian tools. There should be 3 of different designs closely resembling the ones used in the movie.

Skirt and IT should color coordinate.

Optional:

1. Dark red lipstick.

2. A ribbed, horisontal design on the IT.

References:

-Photos http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=jocasta-nu-episode-ii

Best Regards!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

Last edited by Oraculo (Agustín) on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

Any suggestion, opinion or idea about this suit?

Best Regards! Wink

KaharNi ()
Alpine Base CO
Alpine Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one or two,.. suggestion,

with your description the costume ist not complete,..
there is a piece missing :
A apron, pinafore, pinny or how you like to call it ( I called it in German "Dirndlschürze" http://bilder.trachten-dirndl-shop.de/Stockerpoint/2012/Trachten_Dirndlschuerze_SC190_kiwi_v1_894.jpg the green thing on this picture ) she defenetliy wears such a thing 'cause you see a high differenz at the skirt, if you look closely to the pic's where the skirt is well visible.
or do you mean this with that point : 3. Long dark brown (or black) wrap around skirt 'cause it doesn't seem for me it goes all around

To the colour thing,..
In the movie it seems for me it look's like her IT, the lines on the tabs ,skirt and pinny are midnight blue, a very dark blue almost a black.
I would not take a real black, the contrast with the "golden" pieces would be to big.
the Skirt as the pinny, Inner Tunic and the lines on the Tab's to should have the SAME colour .

to the Liberian tools, I would put them as optional ( I made a Jocasta Nu for my mother and I don't know where to get them...)
Lady Marvelin (Martha)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree to the liberian tools as optional its very difficult to make them or find them.

Or has someone any idea wear they can buy them.

point 8 big brown suede/leather pouch meaby?
Leroni (Leroni)
Suspended Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update - Jocasta Nu, AOTC Reply with quote

Oraculo wrote:
---

Required Items:

1. Yellow-gold or dirty yellow (yellow with a bit of brown) single layer outer tunic. The OT should have some light texture to it.

2. Obi and mid-calf length tabards of yellow-gold/dirty yellow fabric (different from the tunic), with appropriate dark brown embroidery. Obi and tabards should have roll hemmed edges.
Obi should meet together at the back and wrap left end over right in traditional Jedi style. No ties or ribbons.

At the Pictures it is not clear if the embroidery is black or dark brown. Maybe it should have the same color like skirt and inner tunic.

At the pictures its not clear if its a wrap around skirt or an apron.

4. Dark brown (or black) inner tunic with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves. (Can also be a dark brown/black underdress with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves).

5. Dark brown or black boots--any height, the tops can't be seen under the skirt.

6. Hair in high bun at the back of the head with two chopsticks forming an X. Grey or white hair recommended. Any natural occuring hair color allowed.
This sentence is not clear. Any color or any grey-white natural color?

7. Big brown suede pouch on the right below the obi. The pouch should be rounded and gathered with a thick black cord at the top. (Drawstring type). The cord should be long enough to hang down the length of the pouch when the pouch is pulled closed. A type of braided cord or similar preferred. The cord has two large black beads or similar at the ends. (One for each end).

8. Jedi librarian tools. There should be 3 of different designs closely resembling the ones used in the movie.
These tools should be optional.

Skirt and IT should color coordinate.

Optional:

1. Dark red lipstick.

2. A ribbed, horisontal design on the IT.
(horisontal or horizontal?)
References:

-Photos http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=jocasta-nu-episode-ii

Best Regards!

Source: Biggar, Trisha (2005): Dressing A Galaxy. The Costumes of Star Wars. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. pp. 26-27

KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

JediKai ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the actual costume in the "Dressing the Galaxy" exhibit. The skirt is dark brown. In the book of the same name, Trish Bigger is quoted as saying all the Jedi costumes are shades of brown, some so dark as to be almost black but still brown.

See this image:

http://public.fotki.com/kait/star_wars/fidm_-_dressing_a/8jocastanu8.html

I'm not sure what the above writer means by there being a pinafore or apron. http://public.fotki.com/kait/star_wars/fidm_-_dressing_a/8jocastanu6.html I have always interpreted this image as there being 2 skirts, over skirt slightly shorter.
KaharNi ()
Alpine Base CO
Alpine Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey,.. Then the light in the movie cheats my eye..
But as you wrote almost black but brown.. So it shouldnt be black.. But this type of brown and not black,..

What I mean with the apron look closely
If there would be a skirt over a skirt, the seam of the shorter one would be visible though out the skirt.. Blue line

But there is a corner/end Red Circle

The yellow line is where my eyes are seeing this apron

Sry for the pour lines,.. I'm not on my regular PC.
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as two skirts also, or a sort of petticoat underneath?
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
TheArrowPen (Kate Allen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3: I made my Jocasta skirt as a wrap skirt; done to match the image, you would just make one end of the skirt slightly shorter to create the layered look. The fact that, in the image, the top 'layer' doesn't seem to go all the way around would also suggest a wrap skirt.

#2: "Obi and mid-calf length tabards of yellow-gold/dirty yellow fabric (different from the tunic), with appropriate dark brown embroidery."
...to me, requiring that the tabard and obi fabric be different than the tunic fabric seems unnecessarily picky and might even be prohibitive. I had enough trouble finding fabric that was the right color; I'd probably still be hunting if I needed two fabrics of the same color but with slightly different textures.

#7: "Big brown suede pouch on the right below the obi." She wears the pouch on her left, our right.

#8: I made two out of the three librarian tools using misc. hardware store parts, several disassembled writing utensils, and some EVA foam. So far I am stumped on the third, though, because it's transparent and I can't find anything remotely that shape. Perhaps this would be a good compromise--requiring two out of three tools?

On color: As someone who made her Jocasta with black fabric, only to come in here and find out that it's actually brown, I would suggest either 1) noting somewhere in the standards that the original is dark brown and this is the preferred color, but black is okay or 2) requiring dark brown from here on out. And I agree that the embroidery color should match the skirt and IT color.

PhDCosplay
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about the pouch being on the left, not the right. This will be corrected.

The skirt, IT and embroidery all look black on screen due to the low light of the scene, but exhibition photos has proved it dark brown. The black option has been left in, because there was a discussion about this a couple of years ago where people wanted to leave it, because it looks black on screen. We can remove it though if you think we should stick with the actual color only. Otherwise dark brown will be noted as the preferred color.

As for the jedi librarian tools, I'd either use hardware store parts or 3D print them.

I made some slight changes to the suggested standard, and yes, this new standard will make it much harder for me to make Jocasta for myself, but I'd rather have a standard that correctly reflect the costume than making things easy on myself, because I don't want to do something that might be difficult. (If difficult scared me I wouldn't do R&S costumes).

Standard with a few changes:
Jocasta Nu standards:

Required Items:

7. Big brown suede pouch on the left below the obi. The pouch should be rounded and gathered with a thick black cord at the top. (Drawstring type). The cord should be long enough to hang down the length of the pouch when the pouch is pulled closed. A type of braided cord or similar preferred. The cord has two large black beads or similar at the ends. (One for each end).

8. Jedi librarian tools. There should be 2-3 of different designs closely resembling the ones used in the movie.

Skirt and IT should color coordinate. It should be noted the original is dark brown and as such dark brown is preferred.

Optional:
1. Dark red lipstick.

2. A ribbed, horizontal design on the IT.

I've kept both the tools, because they are very visible, but I have made it optional to have number three, and the differences in fabric, because DAG and other references clearly shows different textures between tunic and obi and tabards.

Did I forget anything? Right, any natural hair color simply means any hair color you can get without dyeing your hair. So no green or pink or anything like that.

And to be clear: no costumes already accepted will be rejudged unless you ask for it yourself.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Lots of great comments here. I've recently just finished and have had a Jocasta costume approved. Lora and I had many discussions over some of the details on the forums and I just wanted to thank her for the work she's done on these standards (not easy to do).

I only have a few comments, will post them below.

1. I'd agree with the fabric description used here. Very close up photos show that there is a slightly roughly spun texture to the fabric and that the raised threads appear to be slightly darker and/or brown in parts. Might not be easy to find (my current one wouldn't match this) but if we want as accurate as possible costumes then I think this is fair. The fabric does need to be light in texture to allow the sleeves to fold and drape correctly.

2. Just query calling the decorative edge of the tabards and obi as a 'rolled hem'. Rolled hems are technically done with a special modified foot on a sewing machine and they leave a top stitch visible. I made mine by sewing bias binding along the front edge of the garment and then wrapping to excess fabric around to the back on the piece and then hand sewing it in place. Is a technique used by quilters called 'binding'. I know this is a bit picky, but anyone 'googling' rolled hem would possible get the wrong idea/finish on their garment.

Suggest changing that line to something like "the edges of the tabards/obi should be finished off with a technique similar to that of binding quilts, with fabric wrapped from front to back with no visible top stitching.

3. Agreed. Are we going to make comment about the texture of the skirt? In most of the real life reference pictures taken at exhibitions you can see that there is a slight vertical crinkle texture to the skirt. Are we going to encourage trying to match this?

4. Does this mean dickies and false sleeves won't be allowed? If they achieve the same look it is very handy to have this as an option in hot weather (cutting down on an extra upper body layer).

5. Agreed. No comment.

6. Agreed. No comment.

7. Is the cord of the pouch black? Could we also allow dark/brown? Do we want to make a requirement for what material is used to make the beads? Eg. Plastic. Timber.

8. I agree that there are great reference pics available for the three librarian tools shown. Finding an appropriate clear grooved and rounded cylinder for the third one is what stumps most people. Agree that the third one should be made optional.

Are we going to make any reference to the straps that the tools are hung from? Also on the rings they are attached to? Gold or brass looking O rings are used, rather than D rings.

9. Agreed that skirt and IT should coordinate and that a preference for dark brown is preferred.

Optional - no comments.

Thanks again Lora (and everyone else) for participating. Smile

I'd be happy to do more work to my current costume to bring it up to these standards, just sourcing some of the materials might be a challenge and could take some time.

Cheers, Sair
Tython Base, Australia.
TheArrowPen (Kate Allen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sair wrote:

1. I'd agree with the fabric description used here. Very close up photos show that there is a slightly roughly spun texture to the fabric and that the raised threads appear to be slightly darker and/or brown in parts.

It looks like raw silk to me, but that's just a guess based on the photos.

Sair wrote:

2. Just query calling the decorative edge of the tabards and obi as a 'rolled hem'. ...
Suggest changing that line to something like "the edges of the tabards/obi should be finished off with a technique similar to that of binding quilts, with fabric wrapped from front to back with no visible top stitching.

Agreed; I used the same technique as Sair and would not refer to that as a rolled hem. If we do stick with "rolled hem" then we should also include Sair's clarification.

I also like the idea of having a dickey+false sleeves option for the IT.

3. Given the uncertainty about the nature of the skirt, do we want to add a "two-layer skirt, with the top layer slightly shorter than the under layer" option?

PhDCosplay
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point on the attachment of the tools. Smile Definitely something to add.
I'll admit I wasn't quite sure how to describe the rolled hem, so clarification is very welcome. I don't want to lock people into one particular method; as long as the result is right I don't care how you got there! Razz

And no, this won't disallow dickies.

I think a very dark brown might work for the cord, but it would have to be very dark to be noticeably different in color from the brown pouch.

I'll update the proposal... And it's done. Very Happy I decided to completely avoid specific methods of technique for the edges since none of us is really sure how they should be made, but I have clarified that binding can be used.
I have also added in 'very dark brown' for the cord and beads, and clarified other points such as the skirt.
I've added more comments on matching colors at the bottom. Razz

Jocasta Nu standards:

Required Items:

1. Yellow-gold or dirty yellow (yellow with a bit of brown) single layer outer tunic. The OT should have some light texture to it. (E.g. raw silk).

2. Obi and mid-calf length tabards of yellow-gold/dirty yellow fabric (different from the tunic), with appropriate dark brown embroidery. Obi and tabards should have rolled/binded edges.

3. Long dark brown (or black) wrap around skirt. The skirt should have some light texture to it, preferably a vertical crinkle texture. The top layer in front is slightly shorter than the rest of the skirt and ends at the left leg.

4. Dark brown (or black) inner tunic with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves. (Can also be a dark brown/black underdress with close fitting round neckline and long sleeves or a dickey and false sleeves).

6. Hair in high bun at the back of the head with two dark chopsticks forming an X. Grey or white hair recommended. Any natural occuring hair color allowed.

7. Big brown suede pouch on the left below the obi. The pouch should be rounded and gathered with a thick black or very dark brown cord at the top. (Drawstring type). The cord should be long enough to hang down the length of the pouch when the pouch is pulled closed. A type of braided cord or similar preferred. The cord has two large black or very dark brown beads or similar at the ends. (One for each end).

8. Jedi librarian tools. There should be 2-3 of different designs closely resembling the ones used in the movie.
The tools are attached to a brass ring on a medium brown leather strip. If 2 tools are used, one strip will be enough. If 3 tools are used there must be two leather strips of different lengths with the longer strip holding two tools, and the shorter strip holding one tool.

Skirt and IT should color coordinate. It should be noted the original is dark brown and as such dark brown is preferred.
OT and obi and tabards must color coordinate. Small shade variations are allowed.
Cord and beads for the pouch should color coordinate.

Optional:
1. Dark red lipstick.

2. A ribbed, horizontal design on the IT.

How does it look? We might as well get it right this time. Smile Or as close to right as we can.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great to me. Excellent work Lora. Smile

Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Thank you for the contributions, Lora, Kate, Leroni and Sair.

We decided to give one more week of time to this thread general debate. Wink Wink

Best Regards!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: