Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=878c4a85af84675f9023210e6ea136f7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Prequel Style Jedi - Costume Standard Proposal (Part II)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flo1702b wrote:
A sleeveless OT should be surcoat or standard OT style in length. (Ki Adi Mundi and Sarrissa Jeng are examples of surcoat style OT’s.)
e. Tabards should not be worn with Ki Adi Mundi style OT or surcoat. Tabards are required with the standard OT style.

It would be very sad, if the Ki Adi Mundi style tunic would be left out. I just recognised it and wanted to start one in the near future!

- by the way: has any one looked at the "Dawn of the Jedi" comic books? For the start the colours are completely different!

The Ki Adi Mundi and Sarrissa Jeng options did not go away, and have moved to the cloak section. Ki Adi Mundi does have tabards on underneath his cloak, so I believe this option in the current standard was in error and we've since gotten better reference images, though I'm sure others will know the history better than I.

I'm not terribly familiar with the "Dawn of the Jedi" comics, though what I've seen doesn't fit the OT/tabards/obi theme. Is that style used in the comics as well?
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:

I'm not terribly familiar with the "Dawn of the Jedi" comics, though what I've seen doesn't fit the OT/tabards/obi theme. Is that style used in the comics as well?

Think a few thousand years pre SWTOR/KOTOR. They would definitely be a different standard if there were enough interest. I expect at this point the best thing to do would be to just submit reference pics with the costume if someone wanted to make one.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
rogue9607 wrote:

Think a few thousand years pre SWTOR/KOTOR. They would definitely be a different standard if there were enough interest. I expect at this point the best thing to do would be to just submit reference pics with the costume if someone wanted to make one.

Yeah, I read the book, but never saw much of the comic art. Unless they specifically fit this pattern of OT/tabards/obi, I agree that the best course would be a separate standard/submit with references.
Active Legion Member

Force for a Cure (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the issue was brought up during the vote, could clarification be added to section 3.f that tabbards are permitted to have curves? Uniform width can still be painted with curves although slight changes in width can be more flattering. Varying body types need a bit of leeway to more easily attain a polished look

I am NOT a Princess!
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
f. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder (and be a similar width as the obi). The width should be the same all the way down. The width must be proportional to the costumer’s body.

The width section is a recommendation (should, not must). What part reads to you that they must be straight, with no curve?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
rogue9607 wrote:

I agree with this point. It is clearer a different standard.

Best Regards!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:
Quote:
f. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder (and be a similar width as the obi). The width should be the same all the way down. The width must be proportional to the costumer’s body.

The width section is a recommendation (should, not must). What part reads to you that they must be straight, with no curve?

I can see the confusion regarding the width and straight --- maybe should add evenly proportioned or something - at first glance I would take it as the tabard should be same width = straight except you already explained it to me. Wink
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the Y section was removed earlier in the tabard section since it seems to be accurate. What does anyone think of these revisions to sections a and f under tabards? (bold is a change to the current proposal)

a. Tabards must not cross in front. Tabards may partly cross in the back. A seam under the obi is encouraged so that the tabards hang vertically below the obi.

f. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder (and be a similar width as the obi) and be uniform along the length of the tabard. Tabards must be proportional to the costumer’s body.
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not married, but I know some people that NEVER take their wedding rings off...even in the shower. For approval pics, I don't think it should really be that big a deal. I know Jedi aren't supposed to be married during the prequels but I think it would be silly to not allow someone to be accepted due to still having their ring on. Maybe have the bling side rotated 180 degrees so it looks like just a band.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:
I'm not sure why the Y section was removed earlier in the tabard section since it seems to be accurate. What does anyone think of these revisions to sections a and f under tabards? (bold is a change to the current proposal)

a. Tabards must not cross in front. Tabards may partly cross in the back. A seam under the obi is encouraged so that the tabards hang vertically below the obi.

f. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder (and be a similar width as the obi) and be uniform along the length of the tabard. Tabards must be proportional to the costumer’s body.

I know this is how my tabbards are done. It really helps keep the tabbards from crossing and laying right. As long as people get the right look I don't think it needs to be required...but using the words encouraged...I don't have an issue with that as it truly does help to get the right look.
~Casper~ (Jenn Burns)
Active Legion Member

Force for a Cure (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, partially because my tabbards do not have any horizontal seams. I've seen many with a sea that sits on top of the shoulder. Are you suggesting a second seam lower at Obi level in addition to the higher seam so that each tabbard may end up being constructed of four pieces of material on the visible side an another four pieces for the downward facing side? Adding language to encourage a seam, seems to complicate the description. Uniform implies that tabbards may need to be straight and some may interpret that as not allowing for curves. Adding text to allow for contouring to achieve a polished proportional appearance could help with clarity.

Unless a secure loved location other than my car is provided my rings do not come off in public unless I'm having a MRI done.

I am NOT a Princess!
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
Quote:
Additional Notes:

a. Accessories may include: eye-wear, face coverings and jewelry.

Applicants should not wear eyeglasses in their profile pictures. Understandably, people need to wear them to see, I do it myself, but not in the formal profile pictures. They shouldn't be wearing earth-style jewelery, either, especially wedding rings.

Really? I don't see a problem with people wearing something in their profile picture that they will ALWAYS wear at troops? Why not let the picture be a representation of what we will see out there?

Also, I know of at least a few people that literally cannot get their wedding bands off....

I really don't think we should be that nit-picky o_O

Mynocks deliver Babies
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish the earth had bacta tanks and we could get our eyes healed. If you are going to make people that wear glasses take them off, then you better have people get out of their wheelchairs, scooters, take off their braces (teeth, arm or legs), remove their crutches, canes, or else we are discriminating. Glasses are a medical device. One of these days a truly blind person with dark glasses is going to try and join as a Jedi and I pity the person asking them to take their glasses off for the photo.

If a person is doing a named hero character such as Leia, Luke, Han, etc., then the glasses should be off. for a run of the mill who knows what planet they are from Jedi - it should not matter. Plus think of all the kids being bullied for wearing glasses that may look at our profile photos some day and get courage from Jedi wearing glasses just like they do.

The Dawn of the Jedi comics are 3000 years before KOTOR which is 300 years before SWTOR. They would have their own characters Jedai'i Rangers are the ones most often drawn. At that time period there were no Sith and no Jedi. The bad guys were the Rakata and forcehounds. Dawn of the Jedi Jedai'i use light swords not sabers so the props will be interesting to say the least. This group would need its own standard.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer & Tosche Temple Mistress Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
I really wish the earth had bacta tanks and we could get our eyes healed. If you are going to make people that wear glasses take them off, then you better have people get out of their wheelchairs, scooters, take off their braces (teeth, arm or legs), remove their crutches, canes, or else we are discriminating. Glasses are a medical device. One of these days a truly blind person with dark glasses is going to try and join as a Jedi and I pity the person asking them to take their glasses off for the photo.

Some attorney somewhere will take the case and some LCJ will lose their house since we aren't incorporated and have no liability insurance to cover our volunteers. If I end up doing more here than photoshop work I'll be talking to my insurance agent about a liability umbrella policy. Anyone who is an officer or LCJ should probably loo into at least a $1 million liability umbrella.
Dust ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do we agree to let people keep their glasses on? Smile

Honestly, I don't see the point in a no glasses policy for the roster, when people are going to wear them while trooping. Out trooping is where most people see us, shouldn't that be where we appear our best, rather than on a picture? And since we are not going to disallow glasses while trooping, I don't think it makes sense to disallow them in pictures.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: