Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5c19f22dc843d65f582b95dc438656aaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Two X-wing pilots made from scratch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Two X-wing pilots made from scratch Reply with quote

Well, it's all in the title. I and a friend have finally begun work on the pattern for the flightsuit in our efforts to make an X-wing pilot from scratch. Our plan is to buy as little as possible. (Although we do want to buy our helmets).

We are nowhere the same in size so we will be working on making two patterns fitted to each of us before we ever start working with our orange fabric.

We have purchased 9 meters of orange cotton cordura with a great weight and feel, an orange zipper (60 cm), orange thread, and clips for the side of the flak vest.

We both have boots and she have a chest box. I'm working on 3D printing the code cylinders.

This weekend I should get my hands on some dark, army green fabric for the leg flare holder and some fabric for the flak vest. Smile

This is long term project, so expect a long time between updates.
Advice and sharing of info is welcome and encouraged!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
FoxhoundTCF (Ashley Tyler)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck
Ste-Waz Sandoli (Stephane VOISEY)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your twin costume project.
Ben Member of KJO - 2013-2014 Six Towers Jedi Temple Master ; Pilot Member of the RLSC - #7 in the Corellian Griffons Squadron ; Tuskin Member of the Wretched Hive ; rft Member of the RAID
rebelbird French Base Commanding Officer (2014-2018)
saber 2
aka Baron Waz - TI-16707 in the 501st
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile Our next work weekend is in August, so still some time to go.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wanted to share a few progress pics from the first weekend. So far we have gotten the general shape for the pants for trager. Once we have a top part too, we'll sew them together and see what adjustments needs to be made.

The 'harlequin' pants:

We're using old duvet covers and the like for mock up fabric so expect some weird looking mock ups. Razz

Exactly what we'll be doing next time I don't know yet, but if anyone can see anything important we have overlooked for this part then let us know. She says they are comfortable (even if they can't quite stay up by themselves) and roomy enough to sit and crouch without trouble.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, making your coveralls from scratch, that's quite the project. Good luck on it!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made several R&S costumes, can't be worse than that. Rolling Eyes Padmé's Light Blue Tatooine midriff outfit was a challenge... and that was made in a few months. Surely we can do this. Smile

Come mid/end August I should have more on this for you.

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck you brave girl you! Wink

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! I need to go to bed soon (I have work tomorrow), but I wanted to share our latest progress with you first. Smile

This time we focused on getting a basic pattern made for me. We started out with a half-made pants pattern I once started on, but never finished:

We transferred it, added a couple of centimeters to the sides, and sewed up some pants to get an idea of what would need altering and maybe how much. The result was a pair of pants that was fitted around my hips, but with enough room for me to be pregnant!

So after that we added a lot more to the hip area:

Better, but we couldn't really see how they were hanging, so we started on the basic pattern for the top part:

And got a pretty nice basic pattern for a one piece suit made for me:

(Just pinned together in the back)

We are going in the right direction. Smile
It was too fitted though considering how unfitted the X-wing suit actually is supposed to be, so we added a bit extra again:

In doing this I also made the first tentative neckline for where the collar shall attach.

We aren't sure of the folds in the back, how much is actually folding/seams and how much is wrinkle from the strip going around the stomach, so we made some small random tucks:

Opinions on these are very welcome! The same goes for pictures (close ups) of the back of your suit.

The result was this:

Getting closer! It was a bit tight when crouching though, so once again a bit more was added to the pants to further elongate the crotch: (it's probably around ten cm below my actual crotch)

The hips also got taken in a half centimeter again, because the pattern has made them very wide. (Okay, they are wide, but they're not supposed to look that wide in this suit. Won't be able to get the straight up and down look though, not with my body shape).

This is where we ended by the time I had to pack up and go home:

At least we got the unflattering arse down! Wink But what do you think? I won't be able to get rid of an obvious hip shape, but I can probably take them in again a bit more/add more to the waist.

We do plan on comparing the measurements of this pattern to a fitted pattern/our actual measurements once we start to get the patterns down, so we can see how much to add where to make a flightsuit pattern. I already know multiple people interested in this, so I expect more base members to be making their own suits not long after we complete ours. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a little interlude until our next work weekend I present: my boots.

I don't have pictures of trager's boots.

It took me years to find these! Finding women's boots without high heels, mid calf and no adornments? Yeah, that was real fun. But I was in luck a couple of years ago and as you can see I have already broken them in. Smile

Still welcoming opinions regarding the tucks and pictures of your suits.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those boots look great
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I was very happy when I finally found them.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we finally had some work days this past thursday, friday, saturday. Smile

This time around we started on the top for trager. It should be noted that when making a suit like this from the bottom, you should start with the top so you have something to attach the pants to. We learned that her pants did not have to right curves (aka it had curves in the wrong places), and so we had to rework the pattern. So we went to work to straighten it out:

Resewing the new pants:

At first we only attached it in front and then used needles in the back. Quite frankly we didn't want to rip any more seams than necessary:

It looked better, but she was almost tripping in the long legs, so I cut the excess off:

Then it was properly attached in the back. The folds are too far apart, but otherwise it looks okay:

So it was time to try with a zipper. We had bought an orange zipper, which is used for the mock up. We'll buy proper black zippers for both of us later. Trager's suit first:

X-wing

The zipper is too short for her, so we'll be buying something longer for her. This is 60 cm, so we'll go for 75 or even 80 as we can always cut it shorter.

Strangely enough the 60 cm zipper was fine for me even though I'm taller.

X-wing

Still too wide hips here, so once again I carefully took off a little bit in each side. You can see how many times this mock up has been adjusted already, and I doubt we are done yet.
X-wing

X-wing

But it's better! Very Happy We are getting close to a basic pattern for both of us, so next time we'll start looking at the sleeves.

And for fun: I tried it on with my boots; of course, the legs are too short to go/stay inside:

As always comments and con crit are welcome. Smile We'll be continuing in mid November.

Last edited by Lora Skywalker () on Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming together nicely.

Love the Doctor Who slippers btw Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

And they were a gift from a friend, who got them too small for her feet. (I have a small* obsession with Doctor Who).

*It's bigger on the inside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: