Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f67d45baf27abd7394d68d132fae330cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sandstorm Leia - fabric selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Sandstorm Leia - fabric selection Reply with quote

If I start work on two Leia costumes at once, maybe I'll finish one Smile

I've been thinking about doing the "Sandstorm" Leia costume from the deleted scenes, and today while running errands I ran across a HUGE upholstery fabric shop I'd never seen before. (Big Y Yardage in Orange, for the locals). Of course, I had to go in and see what they had.

The fabric with the wide stripes seemed to me to be the toughest to find of the three fabrics in the outfit.

I could stitch several strips together, but I wanted to try to find something close first. This place had hundreds of bolts and thousands of swatches, so I didn't know where to start, but two hours later, these two were my faves:

(This was on a bolt with no label - I think it was a large remnant so if I go with this one I'll have to go back soon!)

What do you think? Would either of these work?

Now, to figure out if anyone makes those boots.... advice/info wanted!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors seem good, but the pattern is off.

I've been wondering about something... What if you found a nice heavy fabric in the right base color and then dyed the brown stripes on? Just a thought.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I haven't actually made any SW costumes that involved patterned/striped fabric, so I wasn't sure if it was more important to have one unified piece, or the exact pattern.

I love your idea but I am awful at dyeing fabric. I've tried several times but something always seems to go wrong. So I'm not sure I could dye stripes into a piece of fabric, although I could ask around locally for help.

I just re-read Liz's WIP thread, and I see from the comments that the best bet is probably to start with the lightest cream colored wool and build up from there with dye or with sewing on stripes of a lighter-weight fabric?

I actually took a look at wool fabrics last night and Mood Fabrics seems to have lots of options. I searched for "wool suiting" in "cream," "ivory" and "beige". Will probably order a batch of swatches and see what looks best.

Also, and this is a fundamental question about the costume and how it would be judged - would I be required to have the full Slave Leia bikini underneath the wrap? I know the dark red cloth peeks out under the wrap, but you can't see the rest of the bikini. If not seen, is it required for costume approval?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about the color, not the standard.

Hmm, ever tried with fabric pens? A brown fabric pen might work together will a ruler. Though you'd probably have to use a few of them. I'd used fabric pens before to color change something.

JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the hunt. I was lucky my Luke wrap for that scene was one color (and that I was pointed to the accurate goggles).

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, at first glance, I thought - oh, a wrap, that'll be easy! HA. Smile

And fabric pens could work but along the same lines... spray paint perhaps? Might be possible to mask off the fabric in sections and paint on the stripes.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth testing. Smile Or maybe some other paint that will go into the fibers without 'running' and won't just lie on top.

GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On spray paint, having gotten a lot of it on me with my hobbies I can attest to sticking with dyes. They are the time-tested standard. Standard spray paints are not designed for cloth. At most, shooting fabric-paint type of paint thru an airbrush could work, if indeed it does. Brush painting tempera or other fabric-specific paint onto the material would work too.

So while those paints and normal dyes saturate, spray paints of all stripes don't, Rather, they bleed into the surface just enough to latch in, but then forms a thick crust on top.

On something like wool, with all the inherent motion of the fiber, that crust would crack and flake into tens of thousands of small pieces over time. I wouldn't trust acrylics due to the spray can nature, but maybe. Lacquers are just plain dangerous to health.

in any case, you don't want these chemicals, processes and materials settling into your skin over time. Dye markers sound like a good bet. The more natural, the better.
Ihala ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this to stencil designs onto other costumes

http://www.joann.com/upholstery-spray-fabric-paint-8oz-saddle-brown/10941276.html

It works well, doesn't bleed and is pretty soft. It comes in quite a few shades of brown and tan
PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been a standard submitted for this costume? I am working on it right now and I cannot seem to locate one?

Thank you.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It thought we had, but you are right, they were never finalized. I will bring the standards back up for discussion this week so that we can have something for you all to go by.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

PondLife81 (Christine Evans)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great!!!!! Thank you!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: