Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4c2ae364736bfc43a9f3d73bcb97a9adMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Important Costume Application Information
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Legion Operations -> NEW MEMBERS: Check In Here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 14 Nov 2002
Posts: 11333

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Important Costume Application Information Reply with quote

A Message From the Rebel Legion Costuming Judges:

Here are some tips for upcoming applicants some to help make your submission go faster and smoother.


1. Submit more than 1 photo.

The best shots are a full (head-toe) front and a full back, which show the details of your costume. If the Legion Costuming Judge cannot see the details and confirm that you have met the requirements, then your application will be put aside while we request and wait for more pictures.

If you take a long time to get us additional photos (more than 2 weeks), then your application will be "dumped" by the system and you'll have to submit a new application. It's a pain for everyone; giving Judges everything they need the first time around is much easier.

Action shots are good for your membership picture, but we really need the boring ones.


2. Choose a plain, solid colored background for your pictures. (Preferably something that contrasts with your outfit colors.)

Pictures with brick walls, rock walls, bushes, trees, wood fences, mulch, grass, polka-dots (I got two with that background Shocked ), patterned wallpaper, and/or same/similar colors to your outfit take a lot longer to Photoshop. It breaks my heart to see a really great costume be "butchered" in the background deletion process because of all the little, nitty, irritating pieces that need to be removed so that you can be "placed" in one of our backgrounds from the movies.

An Endor Trooper may look great in the backyard, but that means the LCJ has to spend even more time to remove all those elements so that we can put in an actual image from Endor behind you.

Think "greenscreen" and don't worry about the background details; plain is good.


3. BE PATIENT.

LCJs have a life outside of RL and sometimes we can't get to your application as fast as we would like. The LMO requests that we process applications within two weeks of it being submitted. That may mean that people who submit at the beginning of the window may wait longer than those who submit at the end. We tend to do applications in batches.


4. Accept the LCJ's decision.

It has been a long process to upgrade the costuming standards for this club. Just because "that guy" got in with an inferior costume doesn't mean you can. "That guy" may have joined back in 2002 when the standards were less strict and his profile hasn't been updated/edited yet.

The standards are the standards. You need to read them and follow them. If you have questions then ask the LCJ for that costuming category before submitting your application; they should be able to give you the information you need.

The costuming forums (Pilot, Jedi, Rebel Troopers, Royalty/Senatorial, etc.) are there for YOU. There is a TON of good information in there. Use the Search function on this board to find discussions on specific items.

If you are still unhappy about the decision, then you can go to the Legion Membership Officer and request a review.


Thank you for listening and I hope your upcoming applications go smoothly. Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 17162
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 17 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to interject a few other points from the judging team before I exit the office of LMO.

As a very long time judge, I can assure you all that the amount of applications entering the queue has probably quadrupled in the last year. Where that is good for the RL, it is also a daunting task for the Costume Judges to keep up with. We have added additional judges, but finding good quality judges who not only know a wide variety of costumes, but also a number of costuming "disciplines" is not easy.

Also, applicants make things more time consuming and difficult when they do not follow the instructions for submission of photos.

We get photo links that don't work. You can not link photos from Facebook, or your computer, or from a private album. You must use an on line photo hosting website and use a direct link and NOT an image link and the album must be public.

We get inadequate amounts of photos. In addition to your "action shot" that gets Photoshopped and ends up in your profile..we also require additional photo links.... minimum is front, back and both sides. It helps to provide additional close up photos of important pieces of the costume-submit as many additional photo links as you can.

We get photos that are so small in pixel size or look like they were taken from across the street and you can't make out anything. Please take photos using higher settings on your camera and take close up photos.

In the area of the application that says Character/Costume Description - we get all sorts of "back stories" on your character but no information we can actually use. Sorry to tell you that most judges don't read those backstories, we are looking for information on the costume construction like fabric type or a listing of optional items on your costume...etc.

As noted by Donna, just because a costume was approved in the past, does not mean it will get approved now. Read the current costume standard carefully. Standards change as new information comes to light.

And...
for the love of Yoda...

when a costume judge sends you an e-mail with questions or requests for additional photos...PLEASE ANSWER THEM ASAP....we have costume applications languishing in the queue waiting for responses from the applicant. Please be considerate and answer the judge within a day or two. For example if they are requesting additional photos that you do not have...at least let the judge know you have gotten their message and will take the new photos. We get too many applicants who don't bother to reply to the e-mail at all. As Donna noted, we are real people with real lives outside of the Rebel Legion and we honestly don't have the time to chase you down for additional photos or information.
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TriumphFX ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 71

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: application time Reply with quote

I submitted an application a few weeks ago. I've heard no news. How soon can I expect an answer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 17162
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 17 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: application time Reply with quote

TriumphFX wrote:
I submitted an application a few weeks ago. I've heard no news. How soon can I expect an answer?


Your costume application was entered on 11-20-15 -
Later in the day you received an e-mail that the application was received and the judging process beginning.

You can always reply to the e-mail that was sent to you and ask for progress.
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Amon-Chakay (Unai Urbieta)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 100
Location: Bagà
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said if everybody followed the instruccions for applications it would be easyer abd faster for you judges.

For example I submited the minimun photos (back, front and both sides), actions shot, belt and accesories, saber, boots, and also a close photo of my upper body showing my inner tunic.

All that with a plain background that had a contrast with my colors.

I lacked the part of the back story Razz

But, with all that done correctly my costume was aproved formal/canon in 3 days.

Now I have some friends that are sewing theyr costumes, and as soon as tehy finish i'll tell them how to make the aplication correctly Smile
_________________
There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side,
There is Only the Force.
I will do what I must to keep the balance,
The balance is what keeps me together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toddo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 06 Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submitted two costumes on Nov 25th or 26th, but I have not heard anything yet. Can you confirm that my submissions were received?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 17162
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 17 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddo wrote:
I submitted two costumes on Nov 25th or 26th, but I have not heard anything yet. Can you confirm that my submissions were received?

Thanks


I see no application in the queue under your username...
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Toddo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 06 Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Toddo wrote:
I submitted two costumes on Nov 25th or 26th, but I have not heard anything yet. Can you confirm that my submissions were received?

Thanks


I see no application in the queue under your username...


Ok Thanks. I'll try again today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 17162
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 17 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes the system is soooooooo slow ...
so..just give it time to accept your application...
don't hit submit a second time...that just makes matters worse..


Wink
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AlTJediKnight70BBY ()
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 4

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Al T, and I would like to submit a generic Jedi application. I am wearing a Ki Adi Mundi style surcoat. What must I do to enter my pics to the RL site? I am a new (or shall I say, re-instated) member to the RL. Please let me know, May The Force Be With You.

Al T Jedi 70BBY
_________________
Do Or Do NOT. There is NO Try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 17162
Location: Mokena IL
Medals: 17 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlTJediKnight70BBY wrote:
Hi, My name is Al T, and I would like to submit a generic Jedi application. I am wearing a Ki Adi Mundi style surcoat. What must I do to enter my pics to the RL site? I am a new (or shall I say, re-instated) member to the RL. Please let me know, May The Force Be With You.

Al T Jedi 70BBY


at the top of this page you will see a clickable link marked "my costumes"...
click the link...
then click "add a costume"
and follow the directions.....

You can only upload one photo to the RL forums...that would be the first photo and the one that would be used to photoshop should your costume be approveable.....
you have to add LINKS to the other photos of your costume - make sure the additional links are large enough...and show all of the costume elements...you can add additional links to show the required parts of your costume...
minimum is front, back and both sides of the costume - head to toe...
_________________


http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jeff Vader ()



Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Location: Charlottetown, PE
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Important Costume Application Information Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:

2. Choose a plain, solid colored background for your pictures. (Preferably something that contrasts with your outfit colors.)

Pictures with brick walls, rock walls, bushes, trees, wood fences, mulch, grass, polka-dots (I got two with that background Shocked ), patterned wallpaper, and/or same/similar colors to your outfit take a lot longer to Photoshop. It breaks my heart to see a really great costume be "butchered" in the background deletion process because of all the little, nitty, irritating pieces that need to be removed so that you can be "placed" in one of our backgrounds from the movies.

An Endor Trooper may look great in the backyard, but that means the LCJ has to spend even more time to remove all those elements so that we can put in an actual image from Endor behind you.

Think "greenscreen" and don't worry about the background details; plain is good.



May i ask what the best background is for photoshopping? Is there an "easiest" background? I work in theatre, and could easily get a set up in front of a black or red curtain, if something like that works - or I know a guy with an actual green screen that may be willing to humour me. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amon-Chakay (Unai Urbieta)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 100
Location: Bagà
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Important Costume Application Information Reply with quote

Jeff Vader wrote:

May i ask what the best background is for photoshopping? Is there an "easiest" background? I work in theatre, and could easily get a set up in front of a black or red curtain, if something like that works - or I know a guy with an actual green screen that may be willing to humour me. Smile


Plain color, preferably a light one.

If you want to use the theater use the red curtain, but it would have folds.

On the other side, if your friend can let you do it in his green screen that would be even better Smile
_________________
There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side,
There is Only the Force.
I will do what I must to keep the balance,
The balance is what keeps me together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 14 Nov 2002
Posts: 11333

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Costume Application Information Reply with quote

Amon-Chakay wrote:
Jeff Vader wrote:

May i ask what the best background is for photoshopping? Is there an "easiest" background? I work in theatre, and could easily get a set up in front of a black or red curtain, if something like that works - or I know a guy with an actual green screen that may be willing to humour me. Smile


Plain color, preferably a light one.

If you want to use the theater use the red curtain, but it would have folds.

On the other side, if your friend can let you do it in his green screen that would be even better Smile


As stated in the suggestion, a contrasting solid color works best. If you are wearing blue, then a background that is not in the blue spectrum works. The absolute best is a dark background for light costumes or a light background for dark costumes.

When Photoshopped, the background is entirely removed not chroma-keyed (the old term for green screen/blue screen where a specific color is replaced with an image).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jeff Vader ()



Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Posts: 4
Location: Charlottetown, PE
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Important Costume Application Information Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
Amon-Chakay wrote:
Jeff Vader wrote:

May i ask what the best background is for photoshopping? Is there an "easiest" background? I work in theatre, and could easily get a set up in front of a black or red curtain, if something like that works - or I know a guy with an actual green screen that may be willing to humour me. Smile


Plain color, preferably a light one.

If you want to use the theater use the red curtain, but it would have folds.

On the other side, if your friend can let you do it in his green screen that would be even better Smile


As stated in the suggestion, a contrasting solid color works best. If you are wearing blue, then a background that is not in the blue spectrum works. The absolute best is a dark background for light costumes or a light background for dark costumes.

When Photoshopped, the background is entirely removed not chroma-keyed (the old term for green screen/blue screen where a specific color is replaced with an image).


Many thanks to you both!
_________________
Death by tray it shall be!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Legion Operations -> NEW MEMBERS: Check In Here All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group