Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b07e70464cd9605ff826335c713aaaa7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

*******Future RFTs PLEASE READ******

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: *******Future RFTs PLEASE READ****** Reply with quote

Over the past several weeks the Legion Trooper Costume judges have noted that BDU pants are getting darker, and darker.

The standard calls for LIGHT GREY pants, which is becoming something of an issue. Because of this several costume applications have been returend due to the dark grey pants that many makers are now sending to stores.

For those ordering a complete set from Ebay vendors, this is not much of an issue:

Nariclay is making these with patterns I provided to her. I rather like this and it is tailor made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-REBEL-FLEET-TROOPER-TAILOR-MADE-COSTUME-SET-COSPLAY-ANY-SIZE-/161713622911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a6e20f7f

Hammerheart44 nee´ Costumebase, has been a steady supplier of the RFT. The color of the shirt is a bit bright but that can be toned back with a dye dip.

These are our recommendations for LIGHT GREY BDU Pants to make your own:

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-MILUNIFORMS/RCO-8810.html

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hq-issue-bdu-pants?a=1733021

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Military-Army-BDU-Cargo-Pants-Fatigue-Trousers-Tactical-Combat-Uniform-/290939708817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=590139856495&hash=item43bd5ba591

Yesterday I received the pants from Ebay seller amazingparacord.

here is what they look like. Same day, taken within five minutes of each other, two cameras. with and without flash. Note how much darker Cell Phone photos are. I suspect this is a major issue with people choosing a cell phone to take submission photos, rather than a real digital camera.

Photo1 , taken with auto settings on a Digital Camera, on a cloudy day. no flash.

Photo 2, same camera, with flash ON.

Photo 3 LG Cellphone Camera auto settings, same cloudy day, no flash

Photo 4 same day, LG Cellphone camera, with flash.

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the examples show, lighting is important when taking photos. The quality of the camera is too, but that's another topic Smile

I think the term "light grey" is to ward-off anyone using charcoal or other dark shades of gray. As long as the applicant is close to a light gray, then I'm fine with it.

As a LCJ, I probably wouldn't reject those pants with any of the variant photos submitted above.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how true.....oh how true...

Colors in photos...
lol...
practically impossible to tell what color something REALLY is....

I always knew that photos seriously skewed colors...but found out how much quite by accident.

I made a Jedi tunic in a light tan color...
then photographed the tunic to add to a costume book I have been working on for many years...

In the book I put a photo of the costume and add to the page a swatch of all the fabrics used in making said piece so that prospective applicants could see and touch the actual fabrics...

So...
I got a print of the photo of the Jedi tunic...and when I put the swatch of the actual fabric next to the photo, the color was a MILE off...

I have said that over and over again...but people still cling to the idea that what they are seeing in photos is the real deal...
anything but...

I do think that the term "light gray" is about the best one can do to describe the color of the pants and adding the caution about "charcoal gray" being not acceptable as something to make folks stop and think (maybe) before ordering.

I have also mentioned this before....

there is a product called Rit Color Remover that does a fantastic job of toning down colors....
I have used it many times....
BUT
as with everything else...."your results may vary"....lol...
but if someone ordered pants that ended up to be too dark...
what have you got to lose in trying the Color Remover...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your images above, I can still determine those pants are "light" grey in the different lighting conditions and cameras.

I've fielded several apps where the pants are clearly charcoal, as in this dark:

They should be, for lack of a better example, like a grey version of khakis.

Here is a good comparison image of "grey"... light grey (yes) on the left, charcoal grey (no) on the right:

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ, DZ, TX
Rebel: RT, RS, JD, WH, RP, JD, RT, CL, RT, RS, RT, WH, JD, RT, RT
Apollo Base - Columbus, Ohio
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to necropost my own topic because this is still an important subject, which has not seen a major change.

The pair of pants shown in these images are Rothcos version of light grey. As you can see there is a major color shift to tan depending on camera, flash, and sunlight/ shadow combination.

Its best to check how your camera is going to photograph before snapping off some pics and sending your app to the judges.

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: