Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b8b27afb7d425b6bd35fe7d838a970baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Flight suit questions xwing pilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Womp Rat (Garrett Studhalter)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Flight suit questions xwing pilot Reply with quote

Couple quick questions before I start my own attempt. Working class clothes has a cotton poly blend, or all cotton for more $. Is there any preference or standard for acceptance?
Then the pockets I've seen in the tutorial, do they have a standard 5/8 inch sewing margin already built into the pocket dimensions? I assume most of them are just treated as a patchwork pocket yes?
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a two pilots yesterday, one in full cotton the other in a poly blend. The cotton suit was older and looked pajama-like with pilling about to happen all over the body. While the poly blend suit was newer, I don't think poly blends pill, at least not like cotton does.

Personally seeing the stark difference, I would go polyblend. I ordered my 1st suit from Mon Cal a couple weeks ago so don't have personal reference to say otherwise.
Janson (John H. VanOphem)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you want a cotton twill. With a ribbed pattern.

http://www.globaltextiles.com/tradeleads/detail/004/632667/Sell-Cotton-Twill-fabric-240GSM.html

Should be easy to find. At the fabric store I got mine it's actually called Galaxy Twill!

Quote:
Ask your mechanic to be sure to use only GENUINE Incom parts.
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Flight suit questions xwing pilot Reply with quote

Womp Rat wrote:

Then the pockets I've seen in the tutorial, do they have a standard 5/8 inch sewing margin already built into the pocket dimensions? I assume most of them are just treated as a patchwork pocket yes?

It all depends on which tutorial you are looking at. There have been several tutorials referenced over the years and most of them have different dimensions for the pockets and such. Some of the pockets in certain tutorials (the arm pocket that the data cylinders go into for example) were extremely large compared to what it should have been.

If possible your best bet would be to connect with an approved pilot that is local to you and take some measurements off their suit just to make sure it's all correct.

David L.
Womp Rat (Garrett Studhalter)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone know of another solid approved tutorial other than the main one in the pilot forums that was last updated 2013. It was pretty good with pictures of adjustments and dimensions to all the pockets, it just didn't talk about sewing margins. It seems most the people that sell the flight suits as well have started outsourcing them, who does them personally anymore?
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last tutorial I updated had the dimensions of the total pocket size on it.
The included pictures were of my suit.

Does that help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: