Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=49f24a333f446bb808ec2c9a091495ebMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Legion approved Starkiller costume help please?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediTim ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Rebel Legion approved Starkiller costume help please?! Reply with quote

So I'm new to all of this and would like to start a cosplay costume for Starkiller. Want to portray his Raxus Prime? costume.

This guy appears to be an active member, so his pieces should be RL approved then I assume? https://www.etsy.com/listing/232869675/starkiller-arena-the-force-unleashed-2

Here is a link I hope will help. images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8qCHF0xVUXYAJquJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIyOHBpN2hlBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMyZGQxZmM5NzlhZDdiZjQyMDZhY2U0NjUyMjE4YThlZgRncG9zAzUEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dstarkiller%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D5&w=1448&h=2048&imgurl=img2.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20140406014525%2Fpoohadventures%2Fimages%2F4%2F4d%2FStarkiller.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpoohadventures.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FStarkiller&size=575.1KB&name=%3Cb%3EStarkiller%3C%2Fb%3E&p=starkiller&oid=2dd1fc979ad7bf4206ace4652218a8ef&fr2=piv-web&fr=&tt=%3Cb%3EStarkiller%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=21&no=5&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11fg83j6i&sigb=12nr8n3j9&sigi=12kq1vsop&sigt=10h4hmolg&sign=10h4hmolg&.crumb=X8b.Vo23id5&fr2=piv-web

Not sure how to go about having the belt or torso piece made. Maybe someone already makes them?

Here's something interesting I found, but not sure what they used as materials for the shoulder pouldron.

imperialsurplus.com/aa_pauldron.html

Thanks for the help!

-JediTim

Read more: http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/5091/starkiller-garen-marek-cosplay-advice?page=1#ixzz3ZsgtF1Aq

Last edited by JediTim () on Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are the costume standards for that costume:

http://www.rebellegion.com/galen-marek-arena-standard-the-force-unleashed-ii/

As for the pauldon you linked, it looks like they used ABS plastic. We made one similar out of leather.

I see that you have already been to the Jedi forums. The other place I would look for information on parts of this costume would be the flagship eclipse detachment of the 501. Just remember that standards between the Rebel Legion and the 501 do vary.
JediTim ()

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post here Blue.

So should that pauldron and belt pieces be acceptable by The Rebel Legion?

I have posted this question in a few places searching for help, not much has been cleared up though. Mostly opinions, I'm not looking to dump money into something that may or may NOT be approved as it would be a waste of time AND money. I do have an account on Flagship Eclipse as well, but this particular costume seems to be specifically an RL costume. NOT 501st.

I look forward to any further help you may be able to provide.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy and paste of the Costume Standard....
The items listed as required are just that..
required...

The last three under optional ...are just that..
optional...you can include them if you wish...but do not have to include them if you don't want to..

And, so that you know the task ahead of you, face characters like Galen are held to an extremely tight standard...if it isn't 100% - the costume will be denied...

REQUIRED ITEMS

1. Grey flannel or flannel like shirt with both arms cut off or under-rolled to the lower bicep area. No stitching should be apparent on rolled up fabric, no frayed edges on bottom

2. Black cargo pants

3. Black boots, leather or leather-like with no laces

4. Front and back grey cloth tabards extending from upper belt hanging to mid-knee. Front tabard is tapered from mid thigh width. Rear tabard is tapered from waist width. Tabards should be appropriately ‘weathered’ at bottom to represent wear

5. Leather or similar fingerless gloves. Each glove has black metallic backing armour that runs from the knuckles to mid hand with two edges folding inwards, ending at wrist

6. Dark (dark and light grey) cloth or leather wraps around base of glove that end approximately 1-2” below the elbow

7. Dark (dark and light grey) cloth or leather wraps around arch of boot, circling the leg up to the top of the boot

8. Chest harness consisting of two dark brown leather/leather like belts that cross the body at chest level and stomach level. Top harness has two straps leading up to attach to top of back armour

9. Shoulder bell armour of metallic or metallic appearing construction. Should curve along the shoulder, sloping higher towards the neck. A second additional upper arm armour bell of similar construction should be attached to upper harness

10. Connected back armour consisting of dark brown leather/leather like armour stretching from top of back to bottom of ribs. Armour should have four evenly spaced rectangular leather plates, vertically oriented

11. Dark brown leather/leather like waist belt. Belt has unique belt buckle on front along with two circular buckles on left and right. Trailing belts off front and back support large dark brown leather/leather-like pouch on thigh

12. Pouches – Marek has 4 other dark brown leather/leather like pouches – two small pouches directly under the arms attached to upper chest belt, two larger pouches on waist belt

13. 2 identical non-toy, PVC or custom lightsabers. Sabers may attach to left and right side of main belt (in-game version) or on harness (trailer version), but not required to attach. If bladed, blades may not be red or black

14. Short or crew-cut hairstyle similar to Marek. No long hair allowed. Costumer should be clean shaven

OPTIONAL REQUIREMENTS

1. Weathering on shirt

2. Harness closes with metallic or metallic appearing quick release buckles

3. Starkiller style arena sabers or in-game sabers

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte) on Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aurick (Dan Fiegen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was putting together my jedi I would focus on one or two items at a time, making sure before I purchased them that they were up to standards. Like Schph said its gonna be hard with a face character. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. Good luck friend Smile

Nar Shadaa Base
KJO and Temple of the Howling Moon member
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurick wrote:
When I was putting together my jedi I would focus on one or two items at a time, making sure before I purchased them that they were up to standards. Like Schph said its gonna be hard with a face character. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. Good luck friend Smile

Excellent advice...
when I did the Hoth Trooper...
I broke down the costume into elements...
and worked on a couple at a time...

even though I was working on a couple pieces at a time, I always had my eye out for things that I might need on other pieces.

start to finish...
the Hoth Trooper took me nearly 5 years..

Wink

Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great piece of advice is to ask lots of questions and don't take criticism to heart. Feel free to ask the Jedi judges if you are unsure of a particular piece while you are working on your project.
JediTim ()

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for taking the time to post. Here is a link that I will edit into the start of this thread. It seems that the creator of these pieces is an RL member in FL. So I would think his pieces are approved as he is a member?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232869675/starkiller-arena-the-force-unleashed-2

I've reviewed the costume standards many times Schph Gochi, thank you for the copy and paste though. I am, as suggested doing this piece by piece. Where should I start or who do I message about particular things? [Jedi Judges]
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediTim wrote:

I've reviewed the costume standards many times Schph Gochi, thank you for the copy and paste though. I am, as suggested doing this piece by piece. Where should I start or who do I message about particular things? [Jedi Judges]

To a great degree...there is no one to message. Jedi judges can advise you on what is approvable and what is not...and maybe make a few recommendations
..but they are not obligated to give instructions on how to make the costume.

You can start a work in process thread in the Jedi forums..
IF anyone has advice or resources to share, they can post in your WIP....there really is no one who has the responsibility to help people make costumes....costumes are usually a personal journey and most costumes are all hand made by the individual wearing them...

as you make/buy pieces you can record your progress in you work in progress thread

at this point...I have to ask..

What skills do you have?
Can you sew?
Do you do leatherworking?
Have you done any sculpting, molding or casting?
I ask you this because in all likelihood, you will have to make a great deal of your costume yourself..

If you can find someone selling pieces...

great..
but don't expect that you will be able to buy all of the things you need.

I am not saying this to discourage you, I am simply telling it like it is...

JediTim ()

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
JediTim wrote:

To a great degree...there is no one to message. Jedi judges can advise you on what is approvable and what is not...and maybe make a few recommendations
..but they are not obligated to give instructions on how to make the costume.

You can start a work in process thread in the Jedi forums..
IF anyone has advice or resources to share, they can post in your WIP....there really is no one who has the responsibility to help people make costumes....costumes are usually a personal journey and most costumes are all hand made by the individual wearing them...

as you make/buy pieces you can record your progress in you work in progress thread

at this point...I have to ask..

What skills do you have?
Can you sew?
Do you do leatherworking?
Have you done any sculpting, molding or casting?
I ask you this because in all likelihood, you will have to make a great deal of your costume yourself..

If you can find someone selling pieces...

great..
but don't expect that you will be able to buy all of the things you need.

I am not saying this to discourage you, I am simply telling it like it is...

Where can I post my WIP for Jedi Judges to see and possibly comment on/ offer suggestions? This forum is a little hard to follow, which is why I have posted this in a few locations...

I know nothing about sewing or leather work. Closest to sculpting I've done would be pottery class in high school. [Graduated in 06, so it's been awhile]
Aurick (Dan Fiegen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy here is the link to the jedi page, anyone with the knowledge would be there. Just as a suggestion I'd start with the pants and shirt. Work bottom layer out you know. You got this man good luck!

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Nar Shadaa Base
KJO and Temple of the Howling Moon member
JediTim ()

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurick wrote:
Hey buddy here is the link to the jedi page, anyone with the knowledge would be there. Just as a suggestion I'd start with the pants and shirt. Work bottom layer out you know. You got this man good luck!

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

Thanks Dan! Guess I already have a post on the Jedi page... I will start posting pictures of my progress for starters though. I already have the pants, gloves, and a shirt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: