Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b8c75847fe50924616dc3bbf7ff510eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tycho Celchu - A-Wing pilot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Tycho Celchu - A-Wing pilot Reply with quote

Hey guys, new member here to the RL, but I'm a long time member of the 501st. I've been persuaded over to the rebel cause by some close friends in the Legion and after much thought I've decided to try and build an A-Wing pilot. but Tycho's version.

Now here's my question for you all, what differences will be allowed for clearance from the standard A-Wing flight suit? For instance, going by the Hasbro fig his helmet appears to be a Y-Wing lid, he has the Rebel insignia on his upper sleeves, the chest box is different and the gaiters are black not beige. I can completely accept that Hasbro aren't always very accurate as thy take a lot of artistic licence, so I want to gauge what will be acceptable and what definitely won't.

Also if any other A-wing pilots in the UK/Europe would like to give me a shout, I'd love to hear from you as I need to start sourcing parts!

Thanks! Awing
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go by the Hasbro figures. The A-wing and Y-wing figures are really pretty inaccurate. The Mon Calamari A-wing pilot figure is actually pretty good, but the human A-wing pilots are terrible. The only thing that Hasbro got right, at least on two later A-wing pilots, was the helmet.

A Y-wing pilot is currently acceptable but I'm not sure if that will change when the standards get updated. A helmet isn't required, though, or you can also pick up an A-wing pilot helmet, there are a couple people here who make them.

There shouldn't be any Rebel starbird on the shoulders, and the gaiters should be tan/beige.

If you have a copy of the Star Wars Costumes book there's a pretty good picture an A-wing pilot costume in it. I'd go with that. The May issue of Star Wars Insider also has a pretty good picture of a pre-production A-wing pilot, but the helmet is missing the top shield and the coveralls aren't dyed green in the picture.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's pretty much what I thought. So if I did a standard build as you suggest, does that still qualify as being Tycho? I was quite keen on doing his specific version but if the figure cannot be relied on as being accurate and nothing else exists as reference I may just settle for the generic version.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could still submit the costume as Tycho Celchu. He just has the same A-wing pilot outfit is all of the other A-wing pilots in Return of the Jedi, the only difference is that his helmet is painted differently.

The only requirement for face characters is that you need to try to look like them as much as possible. For Biggs Darklighter, for example, a mustache is required. For Tycho, just cleanly shaven as he has no visible facial hair in any of the references I've seen (which are all artwork). Helmets aren't required and because you don't really see a character in Return of the Jedi clearly labeled as Tycho (the only two A-wing pilot characters clearly seen in the movie that are named are Arvel Crynyd and Jake Farrell) it would be tough to design a helmet in his paint scheme because, well, he doesn't have one. Arvel and Jake do have custom A-wing pilot helmets, though.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite keen on having a helmet with the costume because after so many years of trooping in one I think I'd feel odd without something on my head!

The helmet that comes with the Tycho figure seems to be this one:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Flight_helmet?file=A-wing_helmet.jpg

Now can I base a paint scheme for him on that, or really is it pointless?
Would I just be better painting one up in my own design and having my own character? I don't want to cause a lot of hassle for everyone...
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was his X-wing lid as portrayed in the comics
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tycho_Celchu?file=Tycho_Celchu_helmet.jpg

Both this and the A-wing helmet both feature the Rebel bird symbol with flames above it, although its on the back on the A-wing version.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards do allow an X-wing or y-wing pilot helmet for the A-wing pilot costume, though I'm not sure if any of that will be changed or not when the standards are updated. So you should be able to use an X-wing or Y-wing pilot helmet and paint it to match one of the artworks (just provide reference for it in your costume submission), and make the rest of the outfit match the on-screen A-wing pilots as closely as possible.

Or, like I said, Arvel Crynyd and Jake Farrell are also two A-wing pilots and were seen in Return of the Jedi with custom painted A-wing pilot helmets, so they're an option, too, unless you have your heart set on Tycho.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I need to confirm, thanks Alex. I'm still quite keen on doing a Tycho build, so I think I'm gonna go for it! Smile

When are the standards likely to be looked at again do you know?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure when the standards will be updated. It's been "in the works" for some time now but I really don't know the status on it. I've been proposing new B-wing pilot standards but I don't know what's going on with the A-wing pilot standards...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's fine, I thought it best to check!
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're working on them!

And there's another option. Just submit as a generic A-wing pilot and just call yourself Tycho when on troops or a trading card!

Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.
A-wing chest box ordered!
FoxhoundTCF (Ashley Tyler)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already got it, I would suggest getting your hands on the book Star Wars: Costumes (The Original Trilogy). It has a great section on the three new pilots costumes from ROTJ (I believe that some of the costume standards on the site have been updated because of the book)

You can get it from WH Smiths for £23.79 (I think the price is online only)

My copy arrived today (ordered on Wednesday)

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/star-wars-costumes/9781783293667
Legorebel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the compad pocket on the left arm is required for clearance? I've looked at reference shots and I can't see evidence of one?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, don't put on a commpad pocket. The A/B/Y-wing pilots don't have a commpad or the pocket. The only pockets on the suits are two leg pockets (the same as the X-wing pilot but with only one set instead of two sets) and a military-style expanding pen/map pocket on the left arm. There are also two panels on the lower legs, with about half of them sticking out from the gaiters, but I can't tell if they're pockets without flaps on them or if they're reinforcement panels (which would just be a rectangular square of material stitched on, similar to the reinforcement panels on the Imperial Combat Driver costume). I'm kind of leaning toward the latter as it makes more sense...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: