Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6825e811b0e4297524068e07f7fc209Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rhaethe's ROTJ Y-Wing WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Rhaethe's ROTJ Y-Wing WIP Reply with quote

I love Bombers. I really do. Toward that end, I am building a B-Wing Pilot set and a Y-Wing Pilot set, concurrently.

I may have my Y-Winger be a Mirialan or Twi'lek ... have not yet decided.

Grey flightsuit -
Gaiters - Have
Boots - Have
Ejection Harness -
Flak vest -
Chestbox - Have
Gloves - Have
Belt and mini-flares - Have
Hose - Have

Last edited by Rhaethe (Cari Merola) on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:36 pm; edited 7 times in total
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my chestbox from Birgle38, who was kind enough to give it a base paint and detailed greeblies.

I painted my BWing chestbox first, and stopped at the weathering step. I then turned to the Y-Wing chestbox to learn "how to weather" with paint. I think I did a pretty good job. I am very pleased, at least Smile

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. You did a nice job on weathering it. Did you chip it up, too, or was that how it came? And how did you weather it, if you don't mind me asking?

As for the belly tube thing, you can ignore it. There are two Y-wing pilots in Return of the Jedi that have a big round tube, one has it attached to the bottom of his vest as he walks into the briefing room and the other has it sitting next to him where he's sitting on one of the benches (though it might be the same pilot). That's really the only reference that I know of. The other Y-wing pilots don't have one.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

The nicks and chips were a part of the box when I got it. Weathering seems to have made them more pronounced.

To weather, I took charcoal grey acrylic paint and diluted it heavily with water, and just painted a couple coats of this ... kinda producing a dusky translucent film. Then, I took a dry paint brush and dabbed charcoal grey and black together, got rid of any excess, then lightly ran it over edges and anywhere I imagined would get touched a lot.

The chestbox was cast with texture, so it made it easier I imagine. I am still hesitating to try the same with my BWing box, because it is so smooth.
Outlaw10 (Jeff Harris)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ignore the belly tube. As Blue Leader said, only two pilots are seen with it. There's a picture of them, one has it on his lap, the other has it sitting next to him, so it's clear the tube is not part of the vest. Unfortunately, it's not clear what it is, but it appears to be an option for the hose to attach to and then you carry the tube around, as opposed to stuffing the other end of the hose in your vest like most other pilots. Check out the Star Wars costume book that just came out. It has very detailed pictures of the ywing vest. I plan on remaking mine thanks to these pictures.

Outlaw10 by Birgle38, on Flickr
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that book Smile I have been using it for both B and Y wing references.

My next step is to find all the greeblies for the vest that that book shows for the YWing vest. Some of them appear similar to the BWing greebs, and some of them seem different. For example, am trying to figure out what the box stuck in the vest pocket is.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard the pocket box is some kind of radio, but I don't know what kind.

Two of the greeblies are similar to some of the B-wing pilot greeblies. One is the same greeblie as the B-wing pilot in the book, one is similar to another but has a couple more parts added to it. The other greeblies are different. I made some 3D prints of them when I made my B-wing pilot prints and I plan to cast them when I cast the others.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Smile Do you know about when you will cast them? I am really hoping to have one of my bomber pilots done by end of August.

Am returned home from a business trip, and I currently have the travel-sinus-funk, and thus motivated to do something on my build(s) but yet, not very motivated at all.

So. Am going to investigate this pocket-box-greeblie-radio-thing.

Based upon the other greeblies on the vest which are the same/similar to other greebs on the BWing that I have ... I am estimating the PBGRT to be 2.5 inches wide, and 3.75 inches long. Approximately.

Now I shall search for pocket radios of that era and of those dimensions Smile

Edited to add --

I have some possibilities after going through the 'bay for a bit. The two likely contenders at the moment are as follows, of course needing paint:

I am kinda inclined to do the first one.

I also think I should probably study the beltbox and see what I can find for it, too.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greeblies are the next mold I'm going to make. They're actually the last mold I need to make. I printed off a couple more B-wing pilot chestbox greeblies and I'll be picking them up this weekend, and then I'll start making molds of the groups of greeblies after that, which will include the Y-wing vest greeblies, so I can make block molds with multiple greeblies rather than small molds for just one or two.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Smile I am definitely up for a set of YWing greeblies when you are able to fashion them.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about the ROTJ pilots is that some of their pieces are the same. Smile

Next thing to complete on my list will probably be the flightsuit. Webbing and sliders are on order.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for nice and neat recordkeeping ... the gaiters are below.

Still keeping my eye out for that dang chest pocket greeblie thing.

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates on this are sloooooww ... but mainly due to the fact that DragonCon is nearing, and I have preparation for that in full swing.

I think I decided .... I will be making this build a Twi'Lek build.

I am half tempted to buy any pocket radio and then just bondo or plasticwood the back of it into what it is supposed to look like.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what you have done with the gaiters!

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Dr. Morbius (Ingo Kaiser)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Those gaiters are the closest to the screen used prop I've seen so far!! Awesome! You wouldn't commission some, would you? Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: