Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf8a3b2fdf23fbdba085d651fb8d64f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New] Prequel Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pheww, thanks for clarifying Dan. I now realised that there has been a communication breakdown and we are all actually in agreement.

The 'Must be to mid thigh" ship has sailed. I think we are happy for that to be modified but don't want to see it shorter than " comfortably cover the butt" If that is a minimum standard then we are happy and can move on Very Happy

" Another happy landing "
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
Honestly, the only real reason I can see is that LFL/Disney may want certain costumes for their events and those will not include Legends material in most cases. So, we need a standard that makes costumes acceptable for LFL event.

dannv wrote:
rogue9607 wrote:
I don't believe this change has anything to do with Disney events. Disney's SWW requirements for Jedi are far more restrictive than even this new standard would be.

I didn't say it was a Disney requirement. I said meeting Disney standards for canon v legends could be a reason to split it.

I didn't imply that it was a Disney requirement. Disney has their own view of what they want for their events and, frankly, I doubt they care what our standards say (as long as we maintain quality costumes). We do our best to work with Disney and provide costumes that meet their specific criteria (I'm speaking from personal experience), but for us to limit ourselves to "a standard that makes costumes acceptable for LFL event" would be ridiculous.

Additionally, from what I've seen, this standard would not be pure canon since it's covering a time period and including comic reference as well, so this isn't purely a canon vs Legends change.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:
but for us to limit ourselves to "a standard that makes costumes acceptable for LFL event" would be ridiculous.

To me, that would depend on the standard. Prequeil are canon and should be acceptable. Legends aren't canon and would have more leaway, IMO. For the prequel if a costume would blend in if put into a scene n the movie, I would think it's been done right.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
rogue9607 wrote:
but for us to limit ourselves to "a standard that makes costumes acceptable for LFL event" would be ridiculous.

To me, that would depend on the standard. Prequeil are canon and should be acceptable. Legends aren't canon and would have more leaway, IMO. For the prequel if a costume would blend in if put into a scene n the movie, I would think it's been done right.

Simply being canon does not mean a costume will be accepted for Disney/LFL events. Disney/LFL can be very specific as to what they want and it's not something we should focus on when writing a standard. For example, Disney does not want Jedi in colors other than "oatmeal, black, and brown" at Star Wars Weekends. So, should we forget "earth tones" all together and just go with these three options? That feels rather ridiculous to me, but that was what I already said...
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mara Skywalker"]
Jaina Solo-Fel wrote:
dannv wrote:
I Think it would a bid difficult to set up a New Republic/New Jedi Order/Legacy period Jedi up (titles of the eras as Well as the subtitles for series of books that came along) because in my opinion, there are too many options to go from, to Pick in which direction it should be as a NR/NJO/Legacy standard, and that it May be better that the post-ROTJ Jedi fell under the coming new Generic Jedi category, which Sarah mentioned in the first post.

But that might be for another topic to discuss Wink

while I do like a lot of this standard, my only concern with this is that it seems that the colours here are very subdued, and I think we're missing out both New and Old republic in that way, as these eras, as you yourself is saying have a bit more colour variations Smile I think these new colours are very....well...dull.... Smile

Well, yes to the colour variations. But we haven't seen what the variations Will be yet for the new Generic Jedi standard. Maybe there will be more interesting Colours there. At least I didn'read that the colour scheme here would be the same on all the standards and this Will afterall only be the PT category.

The only surprise will be, if there are no surprises - Jaina Solo, LOF Invincible

Hey, the universe is the one with the problem. It's just the Solos' job to fix it - Jaina
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for getting involved and discussing Smile

I think I need to clarify that this is replacing the current Generic Jedi Standard.

There are different styles of Jedi, we can't encompass all of these variations into one standard so the idea is to split them into eras/genres.

As with the colours, we're trying to keep within the range of what is seen on screen/refs but also allow some customisation in there (allowing black boots and belts, earth tones apart from browns/creams etc)

Ben
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
Fear_the_beard ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the proposal is great. Splitting up the eras is a very logical choice. It’s a big step toward making more people happy (as much as humanly possible) as they will have more to choose from. I’m very much in favor of the subdued color schemes for this era. I think it’s important to consider how rigid the Jedi of this era were. Bright, vibrant colors just do not fit the Prequel Era, in my opinion. In my mind, there were probably some Jedi none too happy with Anakin’s color choices, feeling they were too dark or Sith-like. Now there’s an idea for a webcomic, Jedi discussing fashion choices! Laughing

I understand the concern for the use of black. There are certainly some combinations that would look more Sith-like, however, there are far more combinations that would not look Sith-like at all. And there are non tunic/tabard/obi wearing Jedi that wear black soft parts and leather, Barriss and Luminara specifically. They may not wear the Jedi tunic, but they are prolific Jedi of that era that used black. Adding white and gray as boot and belt options could bear some really great looking costumes as well.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we've talked about the inclusion of black as a fabric choice as well as white/gray belts. These are included because they're consistent with the look of the prequel Jedi, even though they lack absolute reference. I'm fine with this, but want to bring up another item, that I feel is similar: the lightsaber clip.

I realize that on-screen prequel Jedi use Covertec clips, but is this a defining feature of the character, or just a mechanism to attach a lightsaber to a belt? Personally, I have a strong preference for the look/function of the hook/D-ring. While non-canon, some TOR sabers include D-rings, so there's reference both before and after the prequels for their use, just not on-screen during this era.

I don't feel that this will be a huge deal either way, but figured I'd bring this up while we're discussing.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to know on the Covertec clips. As far as I can tell, they aren't being manufactured any longer. Covertec.com is now doing cases for things like GoPro cameras.

Park Sabers has an intersting clip (that would look better black, but...) http://parksabers.com/beltclips.html However, it's still a wheel and clip setup (with a small hook too.)
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave at Saberbelt sells them. (RL username "lgtsbr"). they are readily available.
http://www.saberbelt.com/CovertecClips.htm

also the custom saber shop sells them, from time to time.
(currently out of stock, but keep checking back)
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Covertec-Clip-P117.aspx

you can also find them on Ebay:

jedirobeamerica sells them separately
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Covertec-Lightsaber-Belt-Clip-/171418775576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e95af018

and Claudio @ custom props includes them with his jedi belt(s).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Jedi-Belt-Covertec-clip-/171600160658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f42aa792
(awesome belt, btw. for an excellent price. speaking from experience Razz hehe)

-===-
point is: they are readily available Wink new members should have no trouble finding one.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Thu May 14, 2015 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Yeo Kero (Charles Wright)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chime in on Jedi wearing black, there is an OR Jedi who wore almost entirely black (or dark grey), even his boots and belt. Jedi Master Tholme, Quinlin Vos' master. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tholme

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer 9/13 - 9/17
29th Trooper Division CO 9/17 -
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
Dave at Saberbelt sells them. (RL username "lghtsbr"). they are readily available.
(snip)

You miss the point. If they aren't being manufactured, the supply is finite and will eventually be a problem. I doubt clips like that will make a comeback. They were terrible for cell phones and are worse for sabers, as far as staying on your belt goes.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave knows more about it than I do, but AKAIK, the original supplier to covertec still has the original molds and is still churning them out, to internet demand.

covertec no longer includes them in their product line, (therefore they no longer buy them from their supplier), but the original factory is still making them. they are still being manufactured -- just not under the covertec brand name. and there are MANY sources for the new member to find one.

the supply will only dry up when the demand does. and so far, that's not happening.
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
Dave knows more about it than I do, but AKAIK, the original supplier to covertec still has the original molds and is still churning them out, to internet demand.

covertec no longer includes them in their product line, (therefore they no longer buy them from their supplier), but the original factory is still making them. they are still being manufactured -- just not under the covertec brand name. and there are MANY sources for the new member to find one.

the supply will only dry up when the demand does. and so far, that's not happening.

Correct. They are available from a handful of sources, and still being produced, just not by covertec.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
Correct. They are available from a handful of sources, and still being produced, just not by covertec.

Well, that's good to know. Although they are still terrible for actually keeping something on your belt.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: