Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16c8be0704293af0645846765ecbef1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rhaethe's Bladewing Pilot WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looking better! Wink

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! That is a relief.

Completed the back piece. I had no pictures I could really stare at for this, but the feedback gives was thinner straps than the front piece and rectangular.

Took a couple attempts to construct something that could line up appropriately with the front piece, but here it is.

Now, to figure out how the hell I am supposed to attach the two. I know the white webbing is supposed to connect somehow ... would a buckle be allowed on one side?

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckles on the side straps would be allowed currently. But I will say that they're not accurate. Personally, I would just use some heavy duty Velcro to stick the straps to the back of the front piece of your vest. That's always been what I've done and it works just fine. I usually try to use heavy duty Velcro because regular lightweight Velcro might not hold as you're moving around, depending on how tight your vest is.

The movie vests it appears that the side straps were permanently attached to both the front and back and the actors just slipped it on over their head. But they also had people to help them put it on, and doing it by yourself is really difficult if you can't undo the side straps...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the difficulty of getting it on, that's why I'm using a snap buckle to attach mine on the side. However, it's a 2" wide WHITE one so it blends with the strap. The main problem is we don't see any b-wingers with their arms out of the way so we really have no idea.

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. My vest-attempt-one had the side straps attached permanently, so I still have the measurements of that. I will fashion in such a way that I could transform to buckle or velcro if it gets onerous.

How about the top straps? Do they attach permanently? And the straps and buckles that connect the chestbox to the vest. It appears that the black 1 inch straps attach to the chest box on one side and at the shoulder, and the other side of the buckle is attached to the back piece straps.

I assume that the front piece stays in place by dint of the side straps and weight of the chestbox.

Last edited by Rhaethe (Cari Merola) on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am doing fit tests, and I am really liking how version two is fitting and feeling. I am definitely needing to go with the buckle or velcro option for the side straps, though.

And, as much as I dislike it, it will probably end up being velcro, as that will be easier to handle adjustments with later on. I lose enough weight (20 pounds and counting) and I don't want to have to bother with the vest again ... even if its just straps.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoulder straps should be sewn down in place. I suppose you could make them detachable if you wanted but it doesn't seem like that would serve much purpose if the side straps were permanently attached, and you'd always have to worry about lining them up just right every time you put the vest on. I would just sew the shoulder straps in place. I'm pretty sure that's how they're done in RotJ (every other flak vest shoulder straps are sewn together, anyway).

And yes. The female end of the side-release buckle is attached to the vest. The male end (the fork-like end) is attached to the chestbox. How you attach the buckles to the vest is up for debate... In some pictures it looks like the buckles are just sewn on with a small piece of black webbing, in other picture it appears that they're fastened on by some type of black plastic or metal clip...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nods* Yeppers, I've stared at a couple shots of Mister Numb's deleted scenes to get a gander on the top straps. I think I've a good handle on how to do them. I also think I have a solution to the side straps issue. But. I shall try it first, before declaring success.

I am just going to glue the male clip 1 inch straps to the inside of the chestbox. I think. Maybe. I have to play with it
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the final stretch ...

Straps and sliders in hand today. Leg-ejection-harness complete.

This is all that is left --

Belt - Have - Need to fasten miniflare slots / miniflares -- Need to sew in side triangle "buckle bit"
Flak vest - Have - Need to fasten straps & do minor tweaking

Yes, I keep pushing the chestbox strap bits to the end ...

I also am going to get my brushes and acrylics out and plan to do some light weathering to all of it. Maybe. I need to tinker.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question on the belt, before I go any further on it. Is it allowed to have an adjuster in the back as well as a buckle, or is it to be buckle only?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the buckle, no adjuster. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then ... I am glad I asked! Smile Need to slightly rework the belt, then. Not too big of a setback.

Note to self and future BWing suit builders ... Don't sew the leg harness onto the vest until the very last ... it makes constant putting on and taking off whilst trialing chestbox strap length kinda awkward.

And, not having a flat chest does make positioning of the chestbox rather important. Am trying to make sure it sits as smoothly as possible, but without pulling on the straps, and without jutting out into the air, and still matching the positioning in the picture.

I think I am going to end up utilizing rare earth magnets in certain spots.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ditched the magnet idea.

I think I have it fitted the way I wish, however. I am hoping that this will pass. The CRL's do not say if the vest needs to be fitted loosely or snugly.

So. When in doubt, I stare at reference photos.

The OT costume book is not going to help in this case, as it is the suit dressed onto a mannequin. (Don't get me started on the realism of a mannequin's figure).

Instead, I am studying this photo, the only on-screen female BWing pilot. Now, admittedly, she is of slim build and lean, but even then, you can see in this photo where the vest appears to be fitted to her snugly. At least I think so. It is hard to tell, but it does appear to me that the vest nips in a bit at the curve of her waist.

So. My plan is to extend the side straps across my midsection to clip together snug in front. This provides extra support for the weight of the chestbox. The front piece of the vest will go over that, so no one can see. The side wings of the vest front will then snap via clear plastic snaps on to the side straps, but not as quite as snug ... just merely to give the effect of being sewn together.

I am unable to execute the plan at the moment ... I need to go buy a clip/buckle.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to order some things online, so ordered the buckle, too. It should be here tomorrow, gogo Amazon Prime.

In the meantime .... BROWN (white) BOX DAY!!!

I was not planning on getting a helmet for this build. However, I managed to purchase an awesome XWing helmet from Darthhair that was already assembled and painted for an excellent price. As an XWing helmet is allowed in CRL and seen in reference pics, I decided to go for it.

He was kind enough to include some extra decals. I did end up repainting some of it, as well as redoing a couple decals. No pictures yet, though. Not until the night passes and I am satisfied with what I've done to it.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vest is ... is ... done. Did a test run on the flightsuit and all feels comfy, looks neat and tidy.

Leg straps fastened

Top straps fastened

Here are the invisible snaps that fasten the vest to the side straps

Now comes the flight down the trench ... finalizing all the details and bits and bobs.

- Tighten miniflare holster on belt, and permanently affix miniflares
- Finish painting vest greeblies and attach to vest
- Purchase / scavenge printer port looking greeblie and tack it on

I still am lacking a beltbox. It isn't in the CRL, I don't think, but it is in pictures. Kinda at a loss. Will ponder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: