Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2bddf166b9b3cad0f21fed4e0dcf8702Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rhaethe's Bladewing Pilot WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Rhaethe's Bladewing Pilot WIP Reply with quote

Allrighty then. I love bombers. They make me happy. Sooooo, am going to build both a BWing and a ROTJ YWing outfit.

Here is my ongoing checklist, with my sources and whether or not I have purchased/finished the piece, yet..

Red flightsuit - Have
Gaiters - Have
Boots - Have
Ejection Harness - Have
Belt - Have -
Flak vest - Have
Chestbox - Have
Gloves - Have
Belt mini-flares - Have
Hose - Have
Helmet - Have

While I am looking at all available reference pictures, including having the OT Costume book, two pilots in ROTJ, still unnamed, are providing the most inspiration.

From Blue Banshee Leader's collection of photos, you can see those two pilots below. One being the "unnamed female pilot" in the far left picture of the montage, as well as the far right in the upper center pic. The second pilot is what I have heard referred to as "confused pilot" and is the one(s) in the other three pictures of the montage and is wearing the red XWing helmet.

Last edited by Rhaethe (Cari Merola) on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:35 pm; edited 21 times in total
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chestbox came today! Yay!!! All the greebs are in a safe little bag. Not about to pull those out until I settle down to do some gluing and painting.

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I am paused as in regards to painting the chestbox.

I am using the following picture (I have the book) as a reference.

The large channel, I believe folks paint black, from what I have seen in WIP threads. However, the closer I look at it, the more I think it is a really dark matte grey. An almost black grey, but not pure black.

The tone and shade, to my eyes, blends better with the flak vest tone and shade than straight black might.

I can see where the circular channel around the round globe thingie definitely appears to be painted black, and seems to be the same shade of black as the straps. But not the large channel.

Thoughts and opinions?
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the chestbox, though not complete. I opted to go with a dark charcoal grey for the main channel. I am pleased with how that came out. I am still very undecided on how I will do the weathering, if at all.

Got most of the greeblies painted, too, although I need to get to the craft store and pick up white, steel grey, and gold acrylics.

Oh, and some glue. I'll need that, heh.

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it was an adventure today. Long story short, I ended up repainting the base box 2 more times over. Hey, it wouldn't be a project if things didn't go sideways occasionally.

Here it is though! Still need to get gold paint for the dots on one of the greelies. And I still need to decide if I am going to weather it or not. I probably should. But will admit I am afraid of messing it totally up.

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. That looks like a paleosilex kit (I've got one too). Don't forget to paint the raised bits on the blue vest greeblie gold or silver!

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a paleosilex kit Smile

I am still deciding exactly how/if I want to go about weathering, so have decided to go on to the gaiters, in the meantime.

Looking at the reference pictures in the Costumes book, the fabric really looks like waxed canvas to me. I think I might purchase a sample of some adn see how easy it is to work with.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell what the fabric for the gaiters is. I thought that it kind of looked like leather but I can't say that for certain. It's hard to tell. For my previous gaiters I actually used vinyl... I found some felt-backed vinyl in a color that's pretty much spot-on and used it. While I doubt the RotJ gaiters are made of vinyl the material I found even had a texture that closely matched it, so until I figure out a better material that has been working out pretty well.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the rest of us use paint drop clothes from Home Depot. They hold the rigidity well, look "military durable", but are still easy to work with.

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the dropcloth, thanks! It will likely be a cheaper option. Waxed canvas that I have found thus far is around $22 a yard. I won't need much, but still ... is pricier than I wanted.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chestbox looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished costume...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was slightly sidetracked by finishing out my Tusken build, but now that distraction is resolved, I am back to building pilot things. I have spent a good bit of time staring at the pictures in the OT Costumes book.

For the gaiters, it seems to me that it is not actually a ribbon or vertical strip of cloth sewed down the front. Well, it is, but its sewn under two outer hems, and not flush.

I had a decent bit of canvas left over from building the tusken, so decided to try out a mock up of what I was envisioning. This is not the finished piece, but I do think it matches the look of the original decently well.

I will likely construct them of a heavier canvas that is more of a taupe or beige color. This mock-up fabric was deliberately softened for bandages, so it is sagging a touch. The real ones shouldn't. And I think I should make them a touch shorter.

[/i]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that looks pretty good. That would definitely work.

Though you could also do the strip much simpler as well. The way I did mine, which I thought matched up pretty well, was just making the gaiters one piece. For the strip down the middle, I just folded the material to make an edge, stitched it, left a little space, then folded the material again to make another edge facing in toward the first, and stitched that one down. Though, admittedly, I used a thicker material (vinyl) so I'm not sure if it would be any different doing it with a thinner material.

...And my explanation is really bad. Heh. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a second mock-up that I am going to test things on, so will check your method on it Smile

One thing I am unsure about, as I have not seen a picture of the back ... is whether or not there is a seam in the back or not.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a seam in the back. Do you have a copy of the Blu-ray version of Return of the Jedi? If you do, watch the deleted scenes, and in one of them there's a scene where troopers are running around the interior of the Falcon and most of them are wearing the gaiters, and there are some fairly decent shots of what the gaiters look like as the troopers run by the camera.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: