About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=32cbe0f38cb3d77141bff5398993e25dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Canadian Base CO Nominations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabia_Ronit ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Since there isn't already a thread for this I thought I would start one -with a nomination.

I would like to nominate Justin Monk (Primrodo) for CO.  He is a dedicated member of the RL, The Jedi Assembly and the 501st and tries to make it out to any local events put on by the groups (and has even attended some not-so-local events as well, including COSI's Star Wars Exhibit opening weekend).   He is easy to work with and very determined when given a task to complete.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primrodo (Justin Monk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Thank you for the nomination Smile I accept.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

I've been in contact with John by phone tonight. He's been horribly busy with work this weekend. He will post more information on the election process Monday evening.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Ahh yes I forgot this was coming up again

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

has anyone heard from John on his intentions?

Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Ed, he's been ill this week, cut him some slack. I'll talk to him tomorrow, it's too late in the day to call now.

Edit: I called John on Sunday and asked him to post.  We'll see when he makes it on.

Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Hello all!!

Yes I live. Just barely. The RL that stands for Real Life is getting in the way of the Rebel Legion RL for me lately and it hasn't stopped yet.

Yes, I would like to continue as the Commanding Officer for the Rebel Legion in Canada.

I will readily admit that I have not been as active as I would like to have been the past few months. A lot of that has to do with my job. I went from having a 7 days on/7 days off schedule, giving me every other week to do RL activities, to a long stint with 12 days on, 2 off and its now settling into a 10 on/4 off.

While the 10/4 doesn't sound as good, its shorter shifts per day, so for 5 of those days I have all my evenings free. I was on the 7 on/off sched for so many years I expect it will take me a while to get into the swing of the new sched.

The job also has me leaving this Sunday (Oct 1) until October 13 to Dayton, Ohio for training! Share and Enjoy.

But enough about that. Election stuff.

As I said I would like to continue. The job stuff is settling down which will give me more time to work on the outline I set in place last year.

I would like to think that the plan is working. We have increased membership significantly in the past year, especially out West and in Quebec. That is why I appointed Cassandra and Marie-Claude as Regional Captains for those areas.

I have opened up better communications with the 501st, inside Canada and with COs in bordering US States. I still think the communications ties could be/should be stronger, but compared to the level of communication when I took over, its vastly improved.

I have also made a point of keeping in touch with the Alliance Imperiale, the Quebec costuming group. There is a lot of crossover in the membership numbers, and I strongly encourage their activities.

Several members have approached me with their concerns and suggestions about various issues, and I would like to think I dealt with them in a professional manner. I have always been available to any member either online or on the phone. If you don't have my phone number already, just ask. You can also ask any other Officer in the Legion for it as well; my full contact information is in a sticky message in the Command Forum.

The first run of RL Canada patches was a success. I know Randy is looking for interest in a new run as well.

More Swag! Anyone who has seen me at the COSI Event or Dragon*Con will have noted I was wearing RL Canada embroidered shirts. That is something I arranged in the summer with a local shop. They will be available to any member in any style shirt (or jacket, etc). Details will be announced when I get back from Dayton.

As for the future I see several things.

rebellegion.ca

I am looking into hosting options and plan to register the domain. This will give us our own web presence, and following the lead of many other Bases, our own forums.

Splitting up!

While a part of me would like to see the Rebel Legion in Canada continue as a whole, I did have a discussion at Dragon*Con with a member from Alberta. It was suggested perhaps a split would give them a better chance to grow and expand, in the same way the Badlands Squad of the 501st became the Badlands Garrison. In the next year I want to work closely with the members in that region so that we can come to a mutually beneficial relationship that every member can agree to.

Some of the other goals I have are:

More members. I know several potential members, I'm sure we all do, its making the extra effort to get them to join that I would like to focus on. Including making Rebel Legion membership a point of pride.

I especially want to see out members increase in the Maritimes. Right now we have none. Mind you the 501st representation out there is next to nil as well, so perhaps its a cultural thing, but I would like to see one member from every Province and Territory within the next two years.

Events.

We actually did have a Rebel Legion only event in Canada. It was the DVD release of Ep 3 at Future Shop in Hamilton. We impressed the management of the store and our activities were relayed to their headquarters.

We also had several events that were proper joint events with the 501st.

In the next year I want to see us do more events, not just partnered with the 501st, but a Rebel Legion Canada run event. The best opportunity I see for that is the Free Comic Book Day held in the spring. That is something we can do in multiple cities on the same day.

The Canadian Base still has some issues. We are the largest Base, geographically, in the Legion. We span 6 time zones! It makes for some unique challenges. I feel I have done a good job so far in trying to maintain a large Base, and as always, I appreciate any comments. I also look forward to the challenge in the next year, and together with the rest of the members in Canada, we can be the Best Base in the Legion!

Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Oh because I am going to be in Dayton for the next two weeks, I can not guarantee I will be online. Not sure what access outside of the firewall I will have at work, and nobody can confirm for me if the facility I'm staying in has proper access.

If anyone has any questions for me regarding the election then, the best thing is to e-mail me at my Gmail address in my profile. If I do not respond within a day or so, that means my access to that even is limited. In that case you can relay any concerns and questions to Arsinoe. She is willing to contact me by phone in the evenings.

The good news is that when I get back my work schedule is going to be "normal" for the first time since March!

Thran Baill ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

ahhh....the joys of command and life getting in the way of everything. Same thing happened to me and my Roman Legion...got to a point where the priorities in life had to take precedence over the hobbies. But, c'est la vie. I always say that real life always gets in the way of me doing what I want to do.

To me the biggest hurdle that is faced in terms of recruiting and events (they go hand in hand, imho), is the nature of this type of reenacting. Most comic conventions or large video game releases happen in the larger cities for logistical reasons, as well as location. So something like that happeneing in a city of less than 200,000 isn't very likely.

That means then that the availability for events is somewhat limited. It's not like you can just hop in on the local SCA or historically inclined events. Sci-fi as a subject matter for events is a bit of a rarity, the exception being the afore mentioned comic conventions and whatnot.

That leaves charities and fund raising events. Things like the MS walk for a cure, or the CIBC run for cancer, etc. etc. These events can be used to increase exposure to the group, and raise interest in potential members. Not to mention the events are pretty easy to do. But the more the public realizes you are out there, the more closet Star Wars costumers will realize there is an outlet for their hobby.

In just 3 years I had managed to take my 2 man Roman Legion up to 10 members, before I split the group in half. Now, that's an area of interest that has little following around here (Europe and the US has a lot better pool for prospective members). But I did it almost all through public events, AND my website.

Having a website is HUGE. I had and still get the most interest this way. Mostly from people who are interested in Roman this or that, but had no idea there was a reenactment group in their area. Given the trends in people's search habits today, a website is a must. So when people type in "Star wars", "Jedi Costumes", "Star Wars reenactment" and limit Google to Canadian pages only, the website is in the first 5 matches. If you can do that, you've just played a major card that will get results.

John, having membership dues could also help offset the cost of purchasing a web domain and hosting. Something small like $5 per year per person, or even donations would help too.

Well, I hope no-one is offended that I posted so much, given that I don't even have a full uniform or RL membership yet. But I know too well the obstacles facing a group leader, and issues of expanding your membership. I hope some of what I posted is at least a bit helpful.
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Canadian Base CO Nominations Reply with quote

Good Luck to the Base CO canadiates!

And don't forget there is also voting for the Legion Council. Please be sure to read the Q & A  in Election forums and then vote Voting thread - Legion Council - 10/1 - 15

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: