Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a9ed26dc282592b846f3e695398de7f2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Luke Skywalker Jabbas Palace/Sarlaac Pit Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order -> KJO Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Luke Skywalker Jabbas Palace/Sarlaac Pit Update Reply with quote

Two week discussion - 17th Apri
Current Standard-
http://www.rebellegion.com/luke-skywalker-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-jabbas-palace-sarlaac-pit/

Proposal by dannv
This proposed revision is based on the photos of Lukes ROTJ costumes on pages 130-132 of "Star Wars Costumes, The Original Trilogy" which clearly show a fly and appropriate stitching along with the "tuxedo" trim on the side seams of the legs.

"REQUIRED ITEMS

1. Black long-sleeve shirt w/mandarin-type collar with fold-over bib.

2. Black flat front tight-fitting pants with a zipper and fly and black "tuxedo" trim on the side seams.

3. Black or dark grey vest w/scarf-style tabbards and wide sash belt.

4. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots.

5. Luke’s ROTJ hero lightsaber hilt.

Characters’ hair needs to be a “similar” style to that of Luke Skywalkers’- no buzz cuts or beards also.

OPTIONAL ITEMS

1. Brown or black hooded cloak (wool/wool blend).

2. Black leather belt with silver weathered octagonal buckle w/small back pouch.

3. Palace guard blaster.

4. Black leather glove on right hand characters’ hair needs to be a “similar” style to that of Luke Skywalkers’- no buzz cuts or beards also.

COSTUME RESOURCES
1.Graflica Tutorial
2.www.masterskywalker.net
3. KJO Page
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=luke-skywalker-episode-vi-jabbas-palace-sarlaac-pit
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
Lukeluca (Luke Wallace)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Pics or it didn't happen Reply with quote

I definitely think this is more accurate, but can we find enough pictures of this for people to use as reference? The reason I ask is that it's not obvious in any of the pictures I've seen, even on our own reference site. I realize we want to be as screen accurate as possible, but to make this part of the minimum requirements seems a little harsh, when it could only really be confirmed once we saw the BTS costume book.

I think other costumes have had this same issue, where the standards aren't quite to the level that *we* know about, but to the level that people can easily recognize, and don't notice anything missing from the on-screen version.

On the other hand, Luke ROTJ is one of the easier costumes to make, so maybe the extra challenge is good to keep the standards high.

In the end, I would vote no change to the standards, but it would be nice to have pictures and make people aware of it.

P.S. I was going to be remaking my pants after Celebration anyways, and you know I will add the stripe for that version.
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my problem with the current standards, they say no fly on the pants even though one is clearly visible. The trim on the side seems is also clearly visible. Both are visible in the pics in the book and other pics from the costume on display. Neither should be a problem (you add the tuxedo trim to whatever black pants you are using and noting the fly exists makes finding off the shelf pants WAY easier.)

Note, the same pants and shirt are used through the movie, so the changes need to be included in all three standards.
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought too, isn't the cloak brown? The standard says black or brown.
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is definitely brown.
FallenJedi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the "tuxedo" trim consistent with all the pants worn on Tatooine or only a specific scene?
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the book, it's the same pants and shirts throughout ROTJ. Other details come and go, but the basic outfit is the same.
FallenJedi ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
According to the book, it's the same pants and shirts throughout ROTJ. Other details come and go, but the basic outfit is the same.

I've seen that to. It seems odd that only a single costume was made, given the risk of wear & tear damage and stunt people wearing it. Usually several copies are produced. dunno
I think if it can be proven to be there consistently it should be in the standard. If it's only in some scenes then maybe consider making it optional.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenJedi wrote:
dannv wrote:

I've seen that to. It seems odd that only a single costume was made, given the risk of wear & tear damage and stunt people wearing it. Usually several copies are produced. dunno
I think if it can be proven to be there consistently it should be in the standard. If it's only in some scenes then maybe consider making it optional.

Note, I said "pants and shirts". There are multiple copies but they are all the same. You rotate through them during filming so the wear remains even and that way you have extras if something tears, gets too stained, etc.
FallenJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
FallenJedi wrote:
dannv wrote:

Note, I said "pants and shirts". There are multiple copies but they are all the same. You rotate through them during filming so the wear remains even and that way you have extras if something tears, gets too stained, etc.

My mistake, sorry.
Multiple copies increases the likely hood of the strip not being on each and every one.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the written reference says they were identical, so the strip would be on all of them.
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Rebel Legion Reserve

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look at some screencaps too as Luke said in his first post if we can find some picture references they can be added to the KJO Detachment Page, which will be linked in the standard.
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could get an OK from the book publisher. The pics there are pretty good, although if they'd send us digital files that would be even better.
Lukeluca (Luke Wallace)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah_d wrote:
I'll have a look at some screencaps too as Luke said in his first post if we can find some picture references they can be added to the KJO Detachment Page, which will be linked in the standard.

Yes, exactly. If we can't find any frames that make it clear it's there, I think it should be optional.

As far as the fly on the front goes, same thing, optional. You can do it, or not, because you can't tell in the movie.

See you guys in a few days!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also a riding seam on the back of the pants, like Han Solo. but there's only two frames in the entire film where it's visible. do we make it mandatory? based on 2 frames? *

http://i1.wp.com/m.screencaps.us/198/3-starwars6/full/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13387.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/m.screencaps.us/198/3-starwars6/full/star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13381.jpg

-===-

* speaking of which ..

there is one thing (nitpick thing), re: the term "hero" lightsaber -- in the props community this word has come to mean the one that DArth Vader holds in a close-up shot on Endor -- this lightsaber was used in only one shot (a "pickup shot", after-the-fact).

Mark Hammil never touched this saber during the filming of the movie -- it was handed to Vader by an Imperial Officer -- for 99% of the film, Luke uses a lightsaber called "V2" in the props community. (meaning: "version2" hero prop).

--> at first glance, the wording of the standard implies that ONLY the "vader-close-up" lightsaber is allowed in the rebel legion -- a lightsaber which Mark Hammil himself never physically touches -- it would seem, we've made this lightsaber "mandatory" based on just a few visible frames in the film (and by this wording, we've accidentally disallowed the lightsaber seen in 99% of the movie).

this confusion was addressed in a thread recently, the LMO ruled that the "V2" lightsaber counts as a hero prop in the technical sense, and it IS allowed as a Luke ROTJ saber.

((indeed: as we all know, the LEgion accepts the hasbro "force-FX" lightsaber which is WILDLY innacurate, and can BY NO MEANS be called a "hero" version of anything)).LOL!!

--> the standard should read "accurate ROTJ lightsaber" with the judges left to decide the meaning of "Accurate" -- this would include "hero", "V2" and "force-FX" versions. (as always).

--> the standard should NOT read "hero hilt" as this has caused NOTHING but confusion, with this particular lightsaber.

cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order -> KJO Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: