Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e51e1be51a351da0cc855fa8296ee08bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A B and Y Wing Pilot Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: A B and Y Wing Pilot Questions Reply with quote

Allrighty then .... here goes. Smile I am trying to choose between A, B, and Y wing pilot. The first set of questions is about me making sure that I understand the reqs correctly.

Thank you to whomever can answer Smile

1: These are the accurate pages for the A, B, and Y wing CRL's?
http://www.rebellegion.com/a-wing-pilot-episode-vi/
http://www.rebellegion.com/b-wing-pilot-episode-vi/
http://www.rebellegion.com/y-wing-pilot-episode-vi/

2: For the A-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wing pilots approval does not necessarily require a helmet?

3: If one chooses a helmet as their formal req, then the following is accurate (as read from the pages linked above)? ---
A-Wing can use an A-Wing, X-Wing, or Y-Wing helmet
B-Wing can use an B-Wing, X-Wing, or Y-Wing helmet
Y-Wing can use a Y-Wing helmet
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going in order of your questions...

Yes, those are the correct standards. The standards will probably be getting an update sooner or later but I don't know when that's going to happen, but for the time being, yes, those are the correct standards.

None of the pilot costumes, X-wing pilot included, require a helmet. They're optional, so long as you have one of the other optional items (like the belt flares, for example).

And yes, you're correct about the helmets. You can wear pretty much any Rebel pilot helmet with the A/B/Y-wing costumes. In Return of the Jedi the helmets got mixed up between costumes so you can do the same if you wish.

One thing that you can think of, too, is that some of the other pilot helmets are available. Ywingfighterfrank sells an A-wing pilot helmet kit, Richies Armor sells a Y-wing pilot helmet kit (and while it's not entirely accurate it is acceptable... There is another person who makes a much more accurate helmet but I can't remember his username off the top of my head). I'll be selling some B-wing pilot helmets within the coming weeks that are cast from the movie molds. Paleosilex sells an A-wing pilot chestbox and I'll be selling some B-wing pilot chestboxes. Y-wing pilot chestboxes... Well, you're kind of on your own for that one. Razz

(There were a couple people selling casts of a Motorola Pageboy for the Y-wing pilot vest a while ago. I'm not sure if anyone is still selling them or not.)

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the answers, they were all very helpful Smile

I think I am mostly decided on becoming a B-Winger, though I need to do some final pieces and parts sourcing to make sure it is feasible.

I may be pinging you on details soon on those B chestboxes Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, either way, good luck. If you have any questions about the B-wing pilot I could probably help out (I'm not bad with A-wing and Y-wing pilots as well, though my specialty is the B-wing pilot, as you can probably see, heh heh).

I have a construction thread for the chestbox, helmet, beltbox and greeblies, if you wish to take a look. I also have an interest thread in the sale section for the forum, but I try to keep both threads updated.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61513&start=30

I also have lots, and lots, and lots of reference pictures... I'm a little obsessive... >>;;

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided on the B-Wing Smile I really love the concept of a bomber/heavy ordinance craft. I also like the look of the B-Winger chestbox.

I think I will grab an X-Wing helmet, however, and paint the bulk of it red ... I will have to find the stills that I saw where there were background folks sporting B-Wing uniforms and red X-Wing helmets.

Speaking of which ... you mention that you have lots of reference pictures? Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily have to paint your helmet to look like the red one worn by the B-wing pilot in the movie who had it. Unless you like that paint scheme and want to replicate it, of course. But if you're prefer your own custom design, that would also be fine.

And yeah, pictures... I've got over a hundred here...
http://s55.photobucket.com/user/Gankutsuou_2006/library/Costume%20References/Star%20Wars/Pilots/B-wing%20Pilot

I have a couple more pictures that I need to upload and forgot to. Heh heh...

There's a few at the below URL, too. They're in a different album because the pictures don't have only B-wing pilots in them...
http://s55.photobucket.com/user/Gankutsuou_2006/library/Costume%20References/Star%20Wars/Pilots

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks Smile

I think my first order of business is to find a red flightsuit that fits and is in the proper shade of red.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there really is a "proper shade" of red for the coveralls. All of the references show the coveralls as different shades... Some of them are more of a fire engine red, others a bright red, others dark red, some are more on the pink/purple side, some are more on the orange side... Even in Return of the Jedi there are different shades. Some B-wing pilots in RotJ have coveralls that are a different shade than other B-wing pilots. The coveralls for the movie were white coveralls originally and were dyed red, so it's very possible that different coveralls came out in different shades depending on the batch (which is why when you go to a fabric store and buy some fabric, and then go back later and find the same fabric but realize it's a different shade, it's because it's a different dye batch and different batches don't always match up).

If you just get a pair of red coveralls I think that you'll be fine. The shade shouldn't really matter. Dickies (which is what I had originally) has a pair of red coveralls that are a little more on the purple/pink side, Bernes has ones that are a bit brighter and more of a true red (which are what I have now), Alexandria (a company in the UK) has some that are slightly darker... But again, dye batches come up again. When I bought my Bernes coveralls I bought two different sizes to see which would fit me better and the other I would use to cut up for pockets, but when I got them I noticed that they were two different shades of red even though they were both "red" and were bought at the same time. It's because they were from different dye batches. The pair that fit me the best I received later than the pair that didn't fit me as well because the others weren't in stock at the time, so I hurried up and ordered another pair of the same size that fit me, and they were the same shade, thankfully, probably because they were from the same dye batch.

Similarly, I've gotten material swatches from two different sources for the Alexandria coveralls, one from the company itself and one from a Rebel Legion member who has the coveralls. Though they're the same material and same color name both swatches are different shades.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.

So the basic idea is to find a pair of red overalls that have a folded down collar (not mandarin type), hidden zipper, and thigh pockets if at all possible. Buy two pair so I can use the fabric from one to fashion the arm pockets and thigh pockets (if necessary), and remove any other extraneous pockets.

I have that down?

And ... if the coveralls have regular side/hip pockets, is that ok, or do those need to be removed and sewn up?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much. I don't think I've ever seen coveralls that came with the leg pockets so you'll probably have to add those. And most coveralls have a folded collar, at least the work coveralls do, which is what is usually used by costumers.

You will need two pair, yeah, one for the coveralls and one to cut up for the pockets (leg pockets, arm pocket, collar tab). The thigh pockets... Well, that's your choice. There probably shouldn't be any but you can't remove them without ruining the coveralls so if you have them I doubt you'd be challenged for it. Leave them as they are or sew them closed, whatever you prefer. The back pockets, again, are your choice. The RotJ coveralls don't have any back pockets but the current standards don't mention anything about them, so if you want to keep them it should be alright by the current standards. I have them on my current coveralls though on my new ones I'm going to take them off.

The work coveralls usually have a few other things that you'll probably want to sew up or remove. They often have a loop on one of the leg seams which I assume is to hang a hammer off of or something, so you may want to cut that off. They also often have splits up the sides by the hips, and I have no idea what they're for, but I always stitch them closed... If left open people will see what you're wearing underneath as you walk. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip when buying 2 pairs of coveralls when you are unsure of what size to get. Buy 2 different sizes, try them on, wear the size that fits best and use the other for pockets.

Rebel Legion Profile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosetoon wrote:
Pro tip when buying 2 pairs of coveralls when you are unsure of what size to get. Buy 2 different sizes, try them on, wear the size that fits best and use the other for pockets.
Yup, that's what I did, too. Though you may run into the problem I had by doing this and get them from different dye batches, so they might not be the same shade. If you're not sure of the size you want, you just kind of have to try and hope for the best.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
WanderingWindward (Casey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of building a B-wing flight suit for my husband. I've built x-wing flight suits before, so I've already made the patterns. Is the B-wing the same as an x-wing save only for the collar? It seems all I would have to do is change out the mandarin collar for a standard fold-over collar, and use red twill instead of orange. Is that right?

I already read your earlier post about the shades of red used in the movies. So it seems that I don't have to try too hard to match any one particular shade, is that right? I can just find a red I like and go for it?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the B-wing isn't the same. Due to new verified info (thanks to the costume book and archive pics), the Standards will be updated soon!

Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks Smile

I will put a hold on my B-Wing suit until those get updated.

Which gives me time to work on my Y-Wing suit.

ALL THE BOMBERS! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: