Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=845346aba47285f9f7792958449fa944Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gaffi stick build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darinus (David Carta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Gaffi stick build Reply with quote

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone interested in a budget gaffi stick.
I gathered ideas from TK409 and Studio Creations walkthroughs (which I highly recommend) and mixed their ideas with a few of my own with total cost in mind.

Materials:
1 1/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe (5' section $4 at Lowes)
3/4" black plastic pipe (2' for $3)
5" wooden foot for cabinet $7
1/2" Wooden dowel $2
Tube of Fix It Stick (in plumbing section at Lowes, $4?)
12" Tent spike from Walmart 94¢
Material for fins (wood or plastic clip boards, thicker "for sale" signs, etc) $?
Paints (may vary, I suggest a base coat of something for plastic, a metal color and something brown) $10 total?
Some sort of body filler, putty, or whatnot for making the spike end and shaping the neck bend. I'm undecided and several things would work.

Tools:
Drill and appropriate bit to create a hole the size of your dowel
Saw (I used a hacksaw)
Dremel with cutoff wheels, other means of cutting semi-straight lines in wood
A vice would be useful
Sandpaper of various grades
A triangle file is optional.

Started with 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe and heated it up. It wanted to fold so I twisted it. I think the twisted areas will help it hold the filler I'm going to use.

Used a 5" wooden foot found near the table legs and such at Lowes. Removed the screw and drilled the hole all the way through and larger. I then drove a dowel through the hole so it extended out of the other side just long enough to go into the bent section of PVC. I cut the dowel off on the spike side approximately how long I want it to be.

For the mace end I started with a 3/4" black plastic 2' pipe section I found at Lowes and a 94¢ tent spike from Walmart. Chopped off the flat base of the tent spike and crammed it in the tube. This will be cemented in place.

Free handed some lines on the wooden foot for the gaffi club pattern then used a crapton of dremel wheels to cut it into the surface. Afterwards I quickly went through each of the lines with a triangle file. I may do this again for more definition.

Snagged a stick of plumber's "Fix it Stick" (or something like that...). It is like an epoxy putty stick, you break off what you need and mix it in your hands to mix it into a clay that hardens in a couple of minutes. It is wonderful.
I used that to fix the 3/4" mace end pipe into the 1 1/4" larger "wood" end of the gaffi stick.
The plumbing epoxy is on about 2" of the black pipe so this is really solid.

I used the same stuff to attach the wooden club head to the PVC. I wrapped the putty around the dowel and pushed a piece of the black plastic pipe over it and allowed it to harden, then smeared enough of it on the black piece to fill the 1 1/4" pipe and smashed them together. The excess came out around the seams so I smoothed it down.

On all of the pieces that I used the plumbers stick on I roughed up so it would "grab". After hardening it all seems very solid.

This is where I stopped last night, I still need to make the mace end fins and sculpt the spike for the club head, use filler to sculpt the bend, and carve some grooves and designs in the staff.

More to come as I progress.
Let me know what you think so far
501st Legion - Carolina Garrison:
ANH Tusken Raider DZ-10206
Mandalorian Mercs - Talon Clan:
Davin Ca'tra #1382
Darinus (David Carta)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the 6mm EVA foam fins I added to the gaffi. High temp hot glue holding them in place.

I'll need to seal those with a thin coat of Mod Podge or something similar before I prime the whole staff.

The bend coated in "Durham's Water Putty". This whole project is an experiment with things I've never used, apparently. I'm using it in the same manner you'd use body filler. This was last night and should be dry today for sanding. Seemed rather hard, not unlike body filler but took longer to dry. No chemicals or fumes. Part of me is considering a thin coat of resin over this.

Davin Ca'tra #1382
Darinus (David Carta)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a "collar" sort of bit out of the plumbing putty where the large pipe transitions to the smaller end.

Sanded down the "hook" area, then formed the pointed end around the dowel from more plumbing putty (I should really get paid for endorsing this junk).
Built up around the base of the pointy bit with more Durham's Water Putty (tm).

Wish I had some better pictures of the progress in between... I forgot.
I sanded everything down, used red spot putty on any imperfections and sanded that. Applied filler primer and spot putty again. Sanded it.
When I was happy with it I primed the entire thing (I used a flat black Krylon that touted that it was suitable for all surfaces including plastic and was a primer and paint in one).
After giving that a day to dry I painted the wood club with the always-exciting "flat brown".
Once dry I masked off the brown end and sprayed the mace end with Krylon Matte Aluminum.
Here are the results:

So far I'm pretty happy with it for a quick budget build. It still needs weathering to give it the proper Tusken Raider vibe. Should be finishing that up tonight.
Again, I wish I took more pictures of forming the spike side of the club and the spot putty & primer stage. Sorry. Should be pretty easy to follow along and freehand it a bit, after all that's all I did.
Davin Ca'tra #1382
Darinus (David Carta)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finished product:

After the flat brown and aluminum on either end I used a few shades of brown and black acrylic, dunked the brush in then dipped it in water. Liberally went over any cracks, creases, or anywhere that needed to be filthy. Then blotted the excess off with a damp paper towel.
I lightly misted the aluminum end with the flat brown spray and the wooden end with sand tan Krylon. Both *very* sparingly.

That should be all. You can seal it with a matte clear coat if you want.
Davin Ca'tra #1382
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: