Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=52109154271669f29862b3d5c59c6356Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Infinities Jedi Leia WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Infinities Jedi Leia WIP Reply with quote

I do love my random obscure Jedi costumes, and I decided that I actually will try to finish up one new costume for Celebration.

Princess Leia from the Infinities comic, where Luke dies and Leia winds up going to Dagobah to train with Yoda instead.

This idea started a year ago when I found this amazing blue-gray pebble fabric at a local flea market when I was living in Kyoto, Japan last year. I am fairly certain this is a kimono silk, some kind of Japanese jacquard.

While it doesn't have the large pebble design, it does have these great tiny pebbles, which do show up between the larger pebbles on some closer shots.

Because I don't really want to damage that amazing jacquard pebble pattern, I am tempted to say "good enough" with the small pebbles, if the judges are willing to accept that. Otherwise, I am not sure how to mimic the combo of small and large pebbles with this fabric. Those shots also show that she has a center back seam on her tabbard-vest, which is great because of the width of the kimono fabric.

In this comic, Leia flees from Hoth straight to Dagobah. Her boots stay the same throughout the whole comic arc:

They bear a striking resemblance to Leia's Hoth boots from the movie (far right photo). Although, in most shots, they appear to have become flats in the comic. As I am also working on a Hoth Leia, I was wondering if it would be permissible for me to use the same boots on this costume as well.

Leia's saber appears to be very similar to Luke's saber, but actually its own unique saber. It completely lacks any color except silver. This saber looks reasonably close, and I can swap out a pommel I already have that is the correct shape and has a D-ring.

Her hair is a bit of a puzzle, as it has a least three, possibly four, variations during the comic. The only consistency is that it is some kind of high ponytail and that some of her hair hangs down on either side of her face in front.

(From left to right)
1. It has a white hair binder.
2. It is wrapped in a braid.
3. It is some kind of magic ponytail that almost looks like it is clipped up from underneath.
4. It is a ponytail with her hair wrapped around the tie.

The 3rd and 4th option seem to be the most common. The hair binder and the braid only appear in two or three frames apiece. Fortunately, I can make the magic ponytail of #3 happen pretty easily with one of these extensions.

The other really fun thing about comic book characters is the lack of consistency from frame to frame. In particular, the back of her tabbard-vest changes length and shape pretty often.

My personal favorite is what is seen in the action figure and the final scene of the comic, where it is slightly shorter than the tunic in back and has a very slight V shape to it.

The other really fun part is, what to do with colors. There are quite a few shades of white, off-white, and gray in there. I did a color test with my other Jedi tunic and a pair of white jeans I own:

That seems like it could be a feasible combo of cream tunic and white pants. Alternatively, it could be a white shirt and very pale blue-gray pants. Though, that particular color may be really hard to find in a fabric.

I am also trying to decide what weight of fabric I want to get for her tunic. It appears heavier than a gauze but lighter than the twill tunic of mine, shown above.

I spent this afternoon drafting patterns, so the next step is to start collecting materials.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy I've always loved that one, so great to see you tackle it.

Regarding the fabric for the vest, I think the pebble pattern would just have to be visible. Perhaps (if you're up for it) you could draw out the bigger lines in a dark grey?
I like the color of your fabric.

That vest has always stumped me and kept me from trying my own hand at it.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit concerned that just painted or drawn lines would cheapen that gorgeous silk. Maybe some kind of embossing would work.

On one hand, I could use a silk dye paint, which would look less cheap: http://www.dharmatrading.com/orderingguide/silk-painting-step-by-step-ordering-guide.html

Or I could use some sort of bleach pen to make those markings.

ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always loved this design. Best of luck with it. Smile

Some dye or pigments to give some darker and lighter areas on the blue would be sharp if done with care. Perhaps done gently then rinsed to soften the edges?

Do you have some extra fabric you could test it on?

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Takodana Base XO • Legion Webmaster
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, apart from the Force Unleashed game and a few book covers we don't see Leia as a Jedi often
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I think I really just need to get several different kinds of dyes and play around. I have a little extra, though not much, but it should be enough to play around with.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Smile

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a pile of coupons to the fabric store today and got most of the rest of the materials I need for this project. Although the colors didn't turn out very well in my photo here is all of the fabric lined up. I still need some white pants, but I may take myself to Goodwill for that.

I also found a few things to play with for dying/painting the lines on the tabbards:

I am excited to play with these a bit.

My base shoes also arrived. I managed to find wedge-heeled loafers, which have a very similar silhouette to the Hoth Leia boots. I have light gray shoe spray on the way to make these into a better color.

They are Clarks brand and super comfy, for being heels.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good. Smile Playing around with paint can be quite fun.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get the basic shape of the costume together today:

I like doing blind hems by hand, so that still needs to happen, but it feels like I made some real progress. Not pictured are the boots. I used my "mist gray" spray on them and they came out looking beige. New color spray is on order.

I did some paint tests today too, which I will take photos of in daylight, but I think it is going to come down to some of that dye-paint but highly diluted with water. I am now trying to come up with some way to have finer control over it. Silk really likes to make the color bleed.

Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations !!!

The suit is being perfect!

Jenna, excellent job!

Best Regards!!!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I took two days while waiting for my next contract to come through and just finished up the bulk of this costume. All that remains is making the spats for the boots, and acquiring a lightsaber and pants. Once I have a pair of pants to fit over, I will finish adding closures to it all. A hairpiece is on its way, as is new gray spray for my shoes that should hopefully be a better match this time. So, progress:

So now, as to how I did the design on the tabbards in the case that someone wants to try to replicate this.

I started with some dye-tests, and the results were pretty conclusive.

The bleach pen had essential no effect on the silk. I wonder if that is just because of however the fabric was dyed in the first place. It also bled like crazy into circles, so I did not have any fine control over it.

The fabric marker just looked really cheap. What I was hoping for was to find a way to make the designs look like they were a part of the fabric. The Dye-na-flo was a good start, but in its basic form, the color still looked like a paint, so I diluted it with a lot of water, and loved the results. This also bled like crazy, as really takes dye well, so I needed to find a way to be able to apply the dye more finely. I hunted around on tutorials for cheap dye resists and found the recommendation for dye resists. I stumbled upon this handy tutorial. For dunk dying, it seems like crayons are not super effective, but I was nervous of using glue on my antique kimono silk, as I am not sure it would hold up to washing. The crayons were enough to keep the dye to keep from bleeding too much if I used a very small brush when I painted it on.

First, I sketched up an approximation of the pattern for reference from all of the images (which had a lot of variation, but I picked my favorite features). I chose to go more-or-less symmetrical, as that seemed to be what many of the frames were doing in the comic book. Then I copied the pattern onto one side of the tabbard in crayon (in sections).

Then I painted very finely right next to the crayon lines with the diluted dye. I used a combination of blue, green, white, and black dyes to achieve this color. You will notice a mistake I ironed out on the lower left corner. On the silk, the crayon did leave a residue, fainter in color than the dye. When I got everything lined up, it added a nice gradient to the edges of the "pebbles."

After painting the section, I sandwitched the silk between two pieces of paper.

And a quick ironing on medium-high took the crayon out, except for the slight residue.

And no more crayon:

For symmetry, I lined up the two sides and my nice cutting ruler, and did the best eye-balling job I could. It's not perfect, but the comic wasn't perfect about symmetry either. Close enough for being a Jedi in the swamps, eh?

You'll see on the bottom-right corner of the left tabbard where I pressed the crayon in too hard. I have not been able to get the crayons completely out of that area. It worked better to have a lighter hand with the crayon.

I did not attach the lining until after all of the dye-painting and crayon removal was done.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have done a really good job with the pebble pattern. Very Happy

Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! I want this costume, but now that I see your WIP, it looks pretty complicated for my skill level.

I was wondering if for the other Jedi variant I could use a slim silver hilt, since the costume standards are not very specific about the shape of the lightsaber.

Can't wait to see it finished!
Base Membership Officer 2017
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me two years, but I finally got around to redoing my boots. All it took me was one afternoon, but I'm done!

Which means I got all dressed up and submitted for approval.

The only trick is my hair is really short right now, so there isn't much for the hairpiece to clip on it. It really tried to slip downwards. I think I'll need lots more pins and hairspray when I actually wear this to troop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: