Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5af34784c0e1fe4e32dec3246d2a95e8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Newbie's diary of an X-Wing pilot build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did this help you in any way?
Yes! Thanks!
   [ ]
Nope. But I read it anyway.
   [ ]
Users Voted : 18
Total Votes : 18
Detailed Results

jasonh1234 (Jay)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Newbie's diary of an X-Wing pilot build Reply with quote

Thought I'd document my build.

I came into this pretty ignorant, did way more reading, googling, searching, & documenting than I ever wanted to, and thought If I wrote out my experiences it might help someone in the future. My goals were to keep things as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing quality. I also don't have enough free time or space to build and paint things myself.

I started this all sometime early Jan 2015.

Ok so... for each piece I did the biggest best job hunting for options and comparing quality that I could before deciding on the pieces from the various makers that I did.

Here's what I got: (All prices exclude any shipping or taxes or duty or anything)

Flightsuit.
Many options here. I decided on one made by a guy by the name of Azman aka Mr. Bojangles aka Wampawear. He seemed really good at making quality stuff that people were happy with. It was $105 No complaints. Great quality and fit was perfection after careful measuring. Super nice guy. Fast with emails and fast with shipping to me in Canada.

Belt and Harness.
Wampawear's looked top notch. Grabbed both of those from there too. $25 for the belt, $25 for the harness

Leg flare holder.
Yup. Wampawear $50. My only complaint is... I ordered this before ordering/recieving the boots and the Leg flare holder is actually 2-3" smaller than it should be I think. :-/ I might need to sell this and get another one.

Flak vest.
Again a lot of choices but once again, Wampawear. This was turning into a big order! This item is on backorder with 6 people ahead of me. I won't receive it for a while yet. I doubt I'll be disappointed based on everything else I got from there. I paid $125

Gloves.
I didn't spend a ton of time looking. Leather Mystics had a pair of suitable gloves for $26 but they never replied to my email. But Wampawear had a really nice looking set so I added those on to my order. Seeing a trend here? They were $45 I haven't received these yet. Due to unforseen "whoops, I forgot to put them in the box!" (They'll be mailed with my flak vest.)

Chestbox
This was one of the first things I ordered actually. I got one from a guy named Dave aka DroidWelder (pilotstuff@hushmail.com) He shipped it to me extra quick at my request. The quality on this is amazing. I swear it looks more like it came out of some billion dollar toy factory rather than some guys garage. Awesome. Feels like it fell off the movie screen to me. Dave seems like a really good guy from my dealings with him. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him again. $95 I ended up modding this myself to make it a bit more to my liking.

Boots
I ordered from ImperialBoots.com. They fit great (I was worried they'd be too small), quality is great for a costume item but I wouldn't wear these as real boots. They definitely feel a little too cheap for that. They're a little wider at the opening than I expected which interferes with my flare holder as I mentioned above. The heel on the right boots squeaks oddly when walking. There's screws in the heel that you can see the heads of when you look at the bottom and I think the squeak is the rubber on that metal. These are factory fresh boots that have never been worn. I suspect these are probably sold in a little motorcycle apparel shop in Asia for like $20 but Imperial Boots re-markets them. (Just my gut feeling. Not fact) They were $80 and shipped pretty quick but there was no tracking number. Email communication could've been better. Whatever. They made it and are just what I wanted.

Commpad
I ordered a painted version from ForTheLoveOfCostumes and paid $25. No complaints but there is a version here http://www.holeinthegroundpro.com/starwars.html that's only $6 but unpainted.

Pocket Tools aka Code Cylinders
I ordered 3 from a guy called ElvisTrooper aka Obi1kenny (dmaul1000@aol.com) He seems to be like the world authority on these things. :-P They weren't cheap at $10 each ($30 for the set of 3 I needed) I think they could stand to be an inch or so longer based on their fit in Wampawear's flight suit. Quite a loose fit. Seems like they could fall out/get lost easy. Will try to think of a way to attach them more securely.
I passed on the belt flares he sells due to cost. I ended up buying some from DarthHair which were a little bit cheaper but still metal.

Luke Skywalker Empire Strikes Back belt/holster
A couple places make these. I got one from an Etsy shop called unchartedleather and the cost was $240. Paul who runs the place didn't have any listed for sale when I inquired but after my inquiry he took on the job.
It's still being built so I haven't received it yet but the photos I've received for his earlier versions looked great. He estimates it will be mailed out on Feb 17th

Softcap (For under helmet)
I haven't ordered this yet from Gary aka isellstuffto2's aka ForTheLoveOfCostumes but intend to. It's $55

Helmet
The two best choices I found seem to be Jeff aka DHPFX aka DarthHair's at $220 or Mark Bradley aka Rando Mextra's whose cost $400 (assembled and painted). Price really does vary/depend on whether you're building a helmet yourself or not, and painting adds cost too. (As it should) DarthHair seems to be well known/respected and make good stuff. My only complaint is that he seems to be a little slow with email responses. That being said. I was able to pick up the phone and dial him long distance and chat with him for a couple minutes and he was nice enough. So I bought the DarthHair helmet since it seems to be the best available anywhere and had it shipped to Mark Bradley for a paint job since his paint jobs look AMAZING.

So my total cost to date excluding helmet and the softcap...
$845 USD (excluding shipping)
Not bad for a film quality costume.

[UPDATE]
Got belt mini-flares from Darth Hair as well as a DL-44 Blaster

I'm selling on Etsy:
* Hoth Rebel patches
* Rogue One Rebel patches

Last edited by jasonh1234 (Jay) on Mon May 27, 2019 1:20 am; edited 20 times in total
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the leg flare holder should be worn around your leg directly ABOVE the boots top edge, not over the boot itself.

WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Mark Bradley's helmets are smaller than other helmet kits and may not fit you properly.
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Keep in mind that the leg flare holder should be worn around your leg directly ABOVE the boots top edge, not over the boot itself.

Oh! There were clips on the inside of my flare holder that I assumed were for the boot's opening edge. Hmm I wonder what the clips are for then?

WedgeAntilles wrote:
Also Mark Bradley's helmets are smaller than other helmet kits and may not fit you properly.

I didn't know that. Guess I need to spend a little bit more time helmet researching.

I'm selling on Etsy:
* Hoth Rebel patches
* Rogue One Rebel patches
Skulls ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty great for newbies!! Nice one, Trooper!

I have 2 of Jeff's Helmets from his previous pulls. Great stuff. With regards to the new pulls, Mighty awesome. Some tweaks were made. I had a glimpse of it!

Predator Squadron (Squadron Commander)
TK 6686 - 501st Legion Singapore Garrison
Skulls - Rebel Legion Cathar Outpost
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soft cap is not required for the standard X-Wing pilot but would be needed for the Snowspeeder pilot.

The leather belt and holster is not required.

The helmet is not required, but everyone needs one!

The $400 price just doesn't seem correct for Mark's. Is this fully assembled and custom painted? You can get his unbuilt kit in the $100 range I believe.

Darthhair's helmet is more movie accurate in size and now includes a retractable visor.

Rebel Legion Profile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the overview of your process. I'm going to make a pilot along with a friend and we've just agreed to move it up our lists, so they probably will be started sometime this spring. We'll make as much as possible ourselves, so probably won't be buying much, but thanks anyway. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Obi1kenny (Ken Tarleton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice write up indeed.

I am way behind on most things in life but I have been meaning to offer tips for the metal parts I offer. As for the X-tool (code cylinder), the over all length should not be a problem for any make of flight suit. You just need to attach them in place for how far you want them to stick out of the pocket. The best way to do that is drill a small hole (1/8" dia.) across the tube at the bottom end, maybe about 1/4" up (thru both walls of the tube). Then you can sew a small loop from the inside of the flight suit thru each hole and they will not fall out. Or if you want to be able to remove them at some point, use a safety pin on the inside of the suit thru each hole.

And as I was saying, nice tutorial, I am finally getting around to building my own X-wing Pilot after all these years. I did want to get it done by Celebration but with a new baby and so much other things it might take a bit longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. My Luke Holster has been finished and shipped. This is it here.
And I've ordered an assembled DarthHair helmet which is being shipped to Mark Bradley for painting before being sent to me.

Last edited by jasonh1234 (Jay) on Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Holster arrived. Looks amazing! Money well spent. Highly recommend. Nice to have something to hang my Lightsaber from now. Holster leather squeaks and creaks a lot but received some tips on reducing that from the maker.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WL1Xv1bep66qhdPs6

My Flak vest has been started and will be shipped soon.

Darth Hair helmet arrived at Mark Bradley's address for painting which will be started soon.

Ordered Darth Hair Belt flares, and a Darth Hair Blaster for the Holster. (I hope it gets through Customs ok.)

Last edited by jasonh1234 (Jay) on Thu May 16, 2019 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Corsair (Steve Schwarer)

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a Darthhair helmet. My wife has one.

As for the clip on the inside of the flare holster, since they changed the CRL and now want the flare holster ABOVE the boot (bottom of holster just covering top of boot so no orange shows), it was recommended to my wife to sew a bit of the orange fabric onto the leg of the flightsuit to hook that little clip into. Will serve the same function as hooking it to the top of the boot, will keep the holster from shifting around, AND keep you in compliance with the CRL.
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsaber1 wrote:
...sew a bit of the orange fabric onto the leg of the flightsuit to hook that little clip into.

Aha!

redsaber1 wrote:
...they changed the CRL...

The whosawhatsit? Not familiar with that acronym.
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRL = Costume Requirements List

Certainly something you should look at before submitting!
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851

Rebel Legion Profile

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember when you get ready to submit your pics for approval. Don't wear the lightsaber unless you're submitting as face character Luke. (and if you do, you'll have to have the hair to go with it I'm afraid.) Better to submit as a non-face character pilot and just add the lightsaber for events.

jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosetoon wrote:
CRL = Costume Requirements List. Certainly something you should look at before submitting!

Ah, yes I've seen that. Just didn't know the abbreviation.

HazardThree wrote:
Just remember when you get ready to submit your pics for approval. Don't wear the lightsaber unless you're submitting as face character Luke. (and if you do, you'll have to have the hair to go with it I'm afraid.) Better to submit as a non-face character pilot and just add the lightsaber for events.

I will be submitting as face character Luke and have a wig for the hair too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: