Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d3c406602b6c3d65c0f8f1a2e560e483Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes to you.

Looks very exciting so far

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Shop Tour

Small update. I have been invited to check out the industrial machine shop at UofVic next week. The shop owner and I are a part of the same search and rescue organization, and after training we got to talking about this project. He thinks he might be able to do a run or two of hardware, so I'm going to head down with my patterns and we're going to see what is possible.
hoppy81 ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to plasma cut my next set of buckles.
CaptainoftheFalcon ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Buckles Reply with quote

Same dibs called over on the RPF on the not good enough but decent buckle rejects. Wink

-Capt.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smugglers Holster

v 1.0

Bendy Corners

So I was down at the machine shop and my friend Chris was looking at the buckles and disk and had a few thoughts.

First, we all know the sides of the buckles are beveled, however he is convinced that the are actually bent. He explained that it is an old trick to make metal appear thicker than it is by giving the illusion of thickness. He feels the edges of the buckles have a slight bend, and then are smoothed out with a file. This is an interesting idea. I am going to look at the reference photos with this new information.

He also is convinced the buckles are steel, not aluminum. I think this was solved before, but it is good to get a second opinion.

Also, when he looked at the disk on the belt his reaction was, "That looks like a bud buster." I had no idea what that was, but he explained that it is a thing for grinding up weed. For obvious reasons this isn't something I would have a clue about, but....it does really make sense being 1977 and all.

I'm going to look into this a bit more and see what I can find.

He also said I could come work in his shop anytime I like. This is a huge deal because I can try things much faster for sizes and such.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So excited for your next update!

Any chance on releasing the patterns in pieces? You know, some of what you have dialed in so far?

I need to start on a belt before long, and could use a good pattern. (probably ANH) Having the shape of the Y part is, of course, the trickiest part, next to the holster itself...
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been part of my issue as well. I have been waiting on Boba's run so that I can use a "real" DL-44 as a real world test in the hopes that the pattern actually fits 95% of the blasters that people have (myself included). Because I can only release this pattern once (it will be a book...spoiler), I don't want to just "eye it" and hope it fits. I purchased an additional two hides of leather just for testing to make sure the shape and size was correct.

This was going to be one of my big announcements, but when Boba delayed the run for unforeseen reasons, it pushed me back as well.

Now, I get on average two PM's a week from people asking me to send whatever patterns I have, but they are disappointed and frustrated when I say no. Let me be transparent with everyone here for a moment so perhaps you can understand why.

When I started this pattern, the goal was to make a super accurate ESB version for myself. When people seemed to be excited for all the versions I expanded it to included all the others. As time went on, I found myself writing a LOT of information so that I could learn to make this (buying leather, sewing, dying, etc). At one point I had so much information that I realized that I could actually make a book.

The problem of course is once I started down this path the scope creep became immense. What started as notes typed out and pasted in a Google Doc, had to be reworked into something with proper grammar and explanation. Artwork needed to be created for the cover, inside pages, tutorials, etc. This was all on top of the pattern that was being delayed due to Boba Dept (not his fault, just circumstance).

Then, my wife (who had a cancer scare which made this pattern hard to concentrate on) made the point that if I was going to spend this much time/money, I should try to recoup some of the costs. The problem is that I can't (nor want to) sell this. So, I thought perhaps I could create 3D models of the Greeblies, which I could give away as a "Thanks" to anyone who donated any small amount. The patterns would be free of course, but if someone wanted to donate a $1 or $2, then they would get the 3D Greeblie patterns, an additional pattern for the Solo black belt, and a "Convention Pouch" based off some older Star Wars designs, that would attach to the holster and could carry money, wallet, phone, etc.

This required finding a 3D artist, which I did, but unfortunately they disappeared half way through and I never got the files. So, I put out some feelers to start over, but wasn't able to find anyone with the skills and/or that would accept my offer.

Throw in some family issues, some personal issues and a loss of a job, and this project started getting away from me.

So. That all said. Here is where things are honestly at.

The patters are 100% complete except for the holster part (on all versions) due to me not being able to test my Denix with Boba's parts. The patterns are still in one big Illustrator file, which need to be broken down into smaller, printable 8.5x11 sheets. Some patterns span multiple pages, so I needed to sort those out so they could be printed and then joined back together.

Here is a screen shot of about half the layers turned on. I can't turn them all on because even with the beast of a machine I have, it crashes the program. :/

The book is about 80% complete. Most of the text is complete and ready to go. I just needed to research a few other things and send it to an editor (my friend knows a professional that will help, since I created a logo for her). The artwork needs to be completed, and it all needs to be put together into a proper book.

Here is a sample page from the book. As you can see there are some placer images I still need to complete, and it needs some editing and layout, but it is close.

The 3D models are on hold and I may drop the idea unless I can find someone who is a 3D model ninja. As you can see from the image below, these are highly detailed plans that require a LOT of effort on the part of an artist to recreate them accurately.

So, as frustrating as it is...everything is kinda in those final stages where I just need a push and some help to get it completed. I am not deaf to the pleas from all of you (and the many PM's) I get. I really, really, really want to get this completed and released to all of you.

I appreciate your patience and I hope this helps to clarify a few things. I have not abandoned this at all. My hopes are that Boba will start shipping his parts in the next few weeks, which will allow me to confidently sign off the holster part. Once that is done, the patterns will be ready to be placed in the book, and sent off for editing. After it is edited, I can release it (for free) to anyone who wants it.

Hopefully...I can get some 3D patterns created for the greeblies and that it is enough of an incentive for you guys to send a buck or two my way, but that is a low priority for me at this point. I just want to get this in your hands so you can get those holsters made.

CLM
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Sounds like an immense undertaking!

There are some 3D models already freely available; have you checked to see if any of them are adequately accurate? Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on a link at this time, but I could swear I saw a model of this somewhere.

Unfortunately, my meager modeling skills are not (as of yet) up to the task of recreating such a complex model.
Ducati ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:

The 3D models are on hold and I may drop the idea unless I can find someone who is a 3D model ninja. As you can see from the image below, these are highly detailed plans that require a LOT of effort on the part of an artist to recreate them accurately.

I'm not sure if I'm a 3d Ninja, but I do solidworks stuff for a living and do know how to use maya.

Shoot me a PM if you want to send some stuff my way to model up. I likely won't start on it till after Halloween.

Something I have done in solidworks (and built!) that's starwars related:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21771-ducatis-build/

Are you in Victoria, Canada?
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Everyone.

I will catch up with everyone shortly (here and in private messages).

I just wanted to drop by and let you all know that I am in the process of setting up a live streaming channel. Once I have all the technical parts figured out, I am going to start streaming the rest of the process as I work from where I am at now, all the way to a completed holster. The goal is provide an opportunity for you guys to watch my progress, ask questions, provide feedback, get on my case if it starts to fail, and perhaps support me along the way.

I also had the idea of doing joint streams with other creators that are working on 3D work, as well as upload videos of when I head to the machine and leather shops, as well as any other interesting trips I might take.

I'm going to start simple, but I wanted you guys to know that this is coming very soon. I hope you'll join me on the rest of this journey!

And......a huge thanks for all your patience. The excuses are done, it is time to get you guys geared up for Episode 8! Very Happy

CLM
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

I attempted a live stream last night as a test run on Twitch and YouTube. It was a disaster. The mic volume was too high and everyone could hear my dog farting, the music was too low, and the WIFI dropped after about 40 minutes leaving my friend and chatting to ourselves like morons.

The WIFI issue is one that has plagued my family since we moved into this house. It seems like a DNS issue, but I don't have the skills to solve it. I have put out a few forum posts to see if I can't resolve it.

All that said, I have adjusted all the other settings and I am just about ready. Once I have looked into this WIFI issue, I will be ready to go. I'll then post a link here to Twitch and TY, along with my streaming schedule. I hope you'll all join me.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

I think I have everything worked out....I think.

Smugglers Holster: Review

Sunday, April 23
3 pm PDT | 6 pm EDT | 12 am CET

Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/crazylegsmurphy

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAoJfFB2ZwXNORCXlV3ik9w

In this stream I will be recapping the project up to this point. We will chat about how this started, what I have done to get to this point, where the project is currently at, and what the plans are moving forward.

Hope to see you all there!
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder.

I will be streaming today (April 23, 2017) on Twitch and Youtube at 3pm PDT.

See you there.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

I didn't know any other way to update everyone. I have missed the last two streams, both due to SAR calls. I am going to try and get a stream going tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: