Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b80fd50a49abbec9660e09a17afba84bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazylegsmurphy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Solo wrote:
OK, thanks, where can I find them?

When they're released, I'll post the link to my website where they can be downloaded for free.
Man Solo ()

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, best regards.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Crazy Carbs

Here is a bit of an odd one for you guys to ponder.

Today in the mail another Revell V8 Greeblie arrived for me. The strange thing is, it isn't the same as the one I got in the kit.

Now, these difference are very subtle, but differences none the less.

Some of the differences are where the rounded part on the right-top connects. The body where the circle is (front) is wider, and the ridge on the front has a different shape.

There are about five other differences that I won't bore you with, I just wanted you guys to know there are different versions out there.

Accuracy?

So, which one is more accurate to the original?

Well, here is where we have to assume a few things. First, we have to assume the Greeblie in the display versions are the originals. Unless I can get hold of someone who has an original 1970's version to compare to, we have to assume the display version is correct.

What that means is that the version I purchased in the kit is not entirely accurate. The one that just arrived, is.

Unfortunately, my pattern measurements are based off off the other one, so I will go back and rework that to reflect the differences.

What does this all mean?

Well, should you sweat it if you get a slightly different version? That of course, it up to you.

For those who are interested, I can provide a list of all the differences, and I will completely understand if you want to know. I personally will be using the most recent Greeblie for my holster, but had I not known there were different versions, or had I not been able to get hold of another one, I would have had about a 2% care. The differences are that small.

Smile
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

The Disk

I also need to figure out the depth of the disk as well, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

For now, I'll leave this for you guys to ponder.

The width of the disk appears to be slighty similar to the little rectangular pouch at its side.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:
Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

The Disk

I also need to figure out the depth of the disk as well, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

For now, I'll leave this for you guys to ponder.

The width of the disk appears to be slighty similar to the little rectangular pouch at its side.

I agree.

Each version seems to be slightly different, and ROTJ might not even have holes, but pegs instead. I plan on doing a full post on them shortly. I'm just trying to get these ANH pouches sorted.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smugglers Holster
V 1.0

Holsters

Well, I'm narrowing in on the last few parts of this holster, and...the reason why I procrastinated on this part is because I assumed it might be one of the most difficult. I wasn't wrong. Very Happy

Round Peg, Square Hole

It is common knowledge that there are various versions of the blaster. There is the "Greedo Killer", the ESB Stunt, the ROTJ version, and more. The problem is that while all these blasters exist, I'm not entirely sure the holsters made were designed to fit them all.

For example, look at the following.

This, unless I am mistaken is the ESB Stunt version.

If you look at where it sits in the holster, you will see that the leather is shaped to it sits nicely in that groove. If however, you try and put the ESB hero version in there, it appears as though it doesn't fit.

In an attempt to prove myself wrong, I looked at as many screen grabs as I could. I was unable to determine whether the hero versions were ever placed into this shaped holster. The same can be said for the ANH and the ROTJ versions as well.

One Blaster, One Purpose

This made me wonder if the original holsters were made to fit the stunt versions and nothing else. In a way this would make sense. A hero version of the blasters would have typically been used only in scenes in which they were shown close up, or in promotional photos. The stunt/alternative versions would most likely have been the blasters that would have stayed in the holster for all the other shots, as it wouldn't have mattered if they got knocked around.

Unfortunately this creates a bit of a conundrum.

Because I don't have access to every version of the blaster, and until the current run of ESB parts are ready, I only have a blank Denix to work from. This creates a challenge because while I am able to get the overall size right, I am unable to cross reference my actual blaster against the photos.

To try and solve this issue, months ago I built an illustrator version of the ESB blaster from scratch. When I got my digital callipers, I double checked to make sure everything was correct. It was a nice idea, but I have been unable to find any reference in which the ESB blaster is actually in the holster.

So...before this gets overly complicated, this is the problem.

Unless I spend a lot of time creating Illustrator replicas of each version, I will be unable to properly recreate a screen accurate holster, or alternative versions that will fit each blaster.

I'm a bit stumped.

Blasted

At this point I have a few options.

1. I can created versions of each blaster. This will definitely set this project back a while as I will have to delve into the exact measurements for each one. I will then need to basically invent holster patterns (that didn't actually exist) to account for the different blasters.

2. I can concentrate on the screen accurate versions only, even if they don't fit all the different versions.

3. I can recruit your help. Let me explain.

I know that many of you out there have spent a lot of time creating various versions of the blasters. If I could get you to either send me a straight on shot of the blaster where it would sit in the leather, or better yet, create a custom pattern for just that area, and then scan/photograph it for me (with measurements) I could attempt to create versions that would work for as many versions as I get.

4. I could create the screen accurate patterns, and leave it up to you guys to adjust as needed for your particular blasters.

As always, I am interested to hear your thoughts.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this is what you had in mind..

ESB
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3395/lXX9hR.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9633/PmkCsm.jpg

ANH
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/4484/RQ4FE9.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3340/F1uWxC.jpg

paper grid is 1"x1"

these are the Master Replicas 1:1 scale blasters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
not sure if this is what you had in mind..

ESB
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3395/lXX9hR.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9633/PmkCsm.jpg

ANH
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/4484/RQ4FE9.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3340/F1uWxC.jpg

paper grid is 1"x1"

these are the Master Replicas 1:1 scale blasters.

Thank you so much! Those will be very helpful.

It is hard to determine where the leather sits on the blaster, so the front shots will help a lot. The side shots are great as well because while there are a lot of photos of blasters, not many actually post the measurements from what I have been able to find.

Much appreciated.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's possible for the leather to slip between the gun and the scope mount.
ie: in the front shot, you can see there is a substantial gap between the scope mount and the body of the gun..
the leather sort of slips in between, so the scope mount is on the outside of the leather and the gun body is on the inside.
all you really need to account for, is the position of the round bolt (or knurled knob) that holds the scope mount.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked with my husband about if he'd like to do this costume for Halloween this year, and I think he's been seriously considering it. When you get this accomplished to your satisfaction, your pattern files will be a huge timesaver for me!

Really appreciate the effort you are making and will be following this thread. Smile
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
I've talked with my husband about if he'd like to do this costume for Halloween this year, and I think he's been seriously considering it. When you get this accomplished to your satisfaction, your pattern files will be a huge timesaver for me!

Really appreciate the effort you are making and will be following this thread. Smile

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I really hope that it helps people such as yourself to make a holster they'll be really proud of. I am doing my best to make sure these patterns are top notch.

It is always great to hear people are taking interest. I put in no less than 4 hours a day on this, so it keeps me motivated. Very Happy
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
it's possible for the leather to slip between the gun and the scope mount.
ie: in the front shot, you can see there is a substantial gap between the scope mount and the body of the gun..
the leather sort of slips in between, so the scope mount is on the outside of the leather and the gun body is on the inside.
all you really need to account for, is the position of the round bolt (or knurled knob) that holds the scope mount.

That is exactly the part that I couldn't visualize. The only issue is that the ANH and the ESB/ROTJ are slightly different, and each blaster has round bolts/knobs, that are is slightly different places.

For example, I'm not entirely convinced a ESB blaster would fit correctly in a screen accurate holster. I think the round bolt would be where the button snaps.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

I just wanted to let you all know that due to my mum having a bad cancer scare, I haven't had the chance or the focus to work much on this.

She got the all clear this week, so after taking her out for a fun weekend, I will be back working on this next week.

Sorry.
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please!!! No apologies needed!
Family first.
Thumbs up
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: