Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fc2ee597c5c9e239e519260bdf8cab89Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazylegsmurphy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern Reply with quote

Hello!

Intro:

As this is my first post, I suppose I should do a bit of an intro. (feel free to skip Smile )

Like most of you, Star Wars has a special place in my life. For me, it was so influential that I spent seven years as a make-up FX/prop artist for film, TV, and a few other industries. Unfortunately despite my love for the franchise, I have found it difficult to find the time to create some of my most sought after props and costumes.

To be fair, most of the time I do spend on prop and costume building goes into Indiana Jones gear, but one thing that has always gnawed at my brain is that I've always wanted a super screen accurate Han Solo costume.

I figured since the Calgary Comic Expo is coming up in April, now would be a good a time as any to get started on a costume. I also figured the holster was a good a place as any to start.

So, here I am...

Background

Like most people I first stared out exploring what was available online for purchase. While I much prefer to build things myself, there are times when someone else just has the skills to produce an amazing product.

I noticed pretty quickly that while there are options out there, I wasn't totally sold on the accuracy, or the price. I'm not saying they're not quality products, but I would feel much more comfortable building my own.

I then decided to check out what others were creating. Now, I am always very impressed with what people create, and I would never look down on what others have done, but I noticed pretty quickly that most of the tutorials, while very good, were not producing the accuracy that I strive for.

It seemed the best place to start would be to find a pattern, and then adjust as needed. The problem is that there is almost nothing available out there. Those that are, seem to be based on an already inaccurate product, which I found was just too far off the mark to be useful.

So, I realized that if I was going to get the most accurate pattern, I would going to have to start from scratch.

Goal(s)

Here are my goals for this project:

- To create the most screen accurate as possible pattern for building a Han holster.
- To design an easy to follow, printable pattern available to everyone.
- To eventually expand the pattern to include ANH and RotJ versions.

Expectations / Desires

This may sound odd, but please bear with me.

As I said above, I am here to create the most accurate holster pattern possible. Not to stroke my ego, or feel warm and fuzzy. When I ask for feedback, I want it as honest as possible. Don't worry at all about hurting my feelings. The only way something is going to get done right, is if we can all agree that you don't have to hold back, or spare my feelings.

I want every and all thoughts, evidence, and feelings you can come up with. I come from a well known Indiana Jones forum, and so I am used to people presenting every little bit of info they think is right. I am willing to entertain any idea supported by evidence.

I also don't want to abandon this project. To many half finished links are floating around out there, and it is super frustrating for someone who thinks they've hit the right trail, only to find a dead link, or abandoned post.

As you may have noticed already, I am not afraid to type up everything I am thinking. I realize that many people are put off by walls of text, but I feel that the only way to achieve my goals are to not be afraid to sit down and discuss what I'm thinking and doing. If you don't have the time, or the patience to read through my novels, I completely understand, but I would just ask that you don't give me grief about it. Very Happy

Timeline

I am really hoping to go as Han Solo for the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April. So, my timeline for this project is quite quick. I would like to have the pattern done in no more than a month and a half.

Conclusion

So with all that said, it's time to get started.

I want to extend a gracious thanks to all that participate in this project. I want you to know that I value all your feedback, even if at first I might sound dismissive, or short.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Pouches

I decided to start with the pouches as they seemed like a good place. I felt I was on the right track until I realized what the "Greeblie" was that was in one of the pouches.

After doing a lot of Googling, I came across a high quality scan of it (it is a carburetor from the Revel Visible V8 Model Kit). Amazingly it was taken right next to a ruler, so I was able to get the actual dimensions.

I have since ordered the kit, but in the mean time I have been able to use its specs to create the pouches.

In the image below, you can see where I am at so far. I think I have come as close as possible to the correct dimensions and shapes. I've also created the correct stitching pattern, which I've seen as incorrect on many holsters.

Issues

Even though I am close, there are a few things I am concerned with.

Leather Tickness

I have attempted to adjust the pattern as best as I could to accommodate the thickness of the leather. However, because I have somewhat limited experience working with the medium, there are some parts I'm not sure will work.

I have begun building paper mockups to test.

As you can see, there may be an issue with the thickness of the leather. I have adjusted the pattern where I think there will be an issue, but in the next few days when I can get hold of some leather, I will test to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Size / Shape

I think I've come pretty close to the correct shape and size for the pouches. The problem is that I can't seem to find what the round "Greeblie" is.

I was hoping to figure out the diameter of the device so I could add it into the pattern, so we could find an equivalent sized pipe to form the pouch around.

I would also like you guys to double check my flap shape on the button pouch. I have since adjusted it from the paper pattern to be much closer, but I want to make sure I've nailed it.

Next Steps

The next step is to make sure everything is correct, and then I will transfer them to a belt pattern to determine the position.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I like how detailed your post is. This promises to be a great build thread that many of us will be able to learn from. Thanks for starting this.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Buckles

Ok, these are probably the most difficult part of the pattern, and will probably take most of the time and discussion.

It turns out that a Museum in Seattle is just weeks away from hosting the Smithsonian Star Wars Costume exhibit. I have send a very, very polite email asking if they could please take a photo of the back of the buckles to determine how they were actually built.

I will report back if anything comes of it, but for now, lets go on to what I've come up with.

Size / Shape

It turns out that everyone has their own idea of the size and shape of these buckles.

The common theory seems to be that the front belt is 2 inches on the sides to match the leather width. This is where I started as well, but after building each part as close as possible to the screen used version, I have determined it is in fact slightly bigger.

In fact, I feel that based on many, many screen caps, and photos found online of the ESB belt, it is as tall or slightly taller than the back (ANH) version of the buckle.

I very much encourage everyone to tell me what they think. I will post photo evidence later if needed to attempt to support my claim.

Attachments

This has been the part that has been driving me insane.

There seems to be a few standard solutions for how the belts attached to the buckles. From fixed angles, to notched "Y" connectors, to pivoting loops, there are a lot of ideas about how these things were actually built.

After pondering photo after photo, and having lengthy conversations with my girlfriend, I have determined that the buckles were probably created using two vertical loops welded to the buckle. The "Y" connection is connected via a pivot point in the middle, and has a notch out of it to allow it to swing around the loops.

That said, I'm not actually sure.

This is why I have added in other possible solutions.

Starting on the left: Hooks

It seems to me that based on various photos, the "hooks" are not actually the same shape. The left (looking straight at it) appears to taper just after the rivets, where as the right size seems to go straight.

This seems to be supported by a few images that show the different shapes.

Moving to the middle: Buckles

These are the two base shapes for the buckles. I have traced a few high quality photos and overlaid them on top of each other. The result was that they all matched up, which says to me, these are the shapes.

The Right: Attachments

Here I have created patterns for the most common and what I believe is the screen accurate version (far left).

Below I will post an image of how these all work, but basically, I would like to discuss each design and see whether it is:

A. The way it was built
B. A better, more comfortable solution, even if not completely accurate.
C. Worth adding to the final pattern (for options)

Bottom Left:

This is a cover for the two middle designs. It creates a smooth surface that should avoid fraying, ripping, or pinching the pants.

The wires are also used in this design, and are there for pre and post bent patterns.

Bottom Middle: "Y" Connectors

I have included two versions. The left is for the three middle designs, and the right one is the notched version used for the vertical loops.

Many designs I've seen online have put the pivot point lower on the buckle. While this appears to look correct on the outside, I noticed that as Han walks, the "Y" holster moves.

Based on photos, it seems that the pivot point must be in the middle in order for it to properly rotate around the buckle.

The "V" Shape

One of the things I noticed was that many people have built their ESB holsters with the belts parallel to the front buckle. After watching ESB a few times, and checking out many issues, I believe it also has the "V" shape.

The question is how?

Is it a fixed angle like on the ESB version? Is it a result of the blaster pulling down on the belt? Is it due to a pivoting design that allows the belts to rotate under the buckle?

This is the question that has plagued me for days, and the reason why my pattern has so many design options.

My conclusion is that the "hooks" are not fully engaged on the vertical loops. You can see this more clear in a moment, but I thing they kinda clumsily rotate around the loop.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Buckle: Front

Here you can see how I have "built" the buckles using the parts I've created.

The left version is what I believe to be screen accurate. It uses the two vertical loops, and a notched "Y" connector.

The middle version uses three pivot points attached to swinging loops. While I don't think this is the most accurate version, it was a design my girlfriend an I came up with that would allow the most comfortable wear, and the best way to create the "V", while still maintaining the visual accuracy.

The potential issue with this design is that the buckle might turn sideways as there is nothing stopping it from pivoting on itself.

The right side is at a fixed "V" angle as I've seen with some designs, but incorporates the swinging loops.

I really don't like this design for the single reason that it puts the "Y" connector in the wrong position. On the screen used version, the belt and the "Y" connector are reversed, this design would create conflict.

I would like to discuss the best solution, and any adjustments you guys think it needs.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Buckle: Back

Here we have the back (front on ANH) buckle.

Again, the left is what I think is the actual design. The middle is the popular swinging loop version I've seen on the net.

The right design is a fixed angle for ANH. I wanted to add it just we could see how it was shaping up.

There isn't much I can say about these. I really need some feedback as to whether these are looking accurate or not.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with that...Very Happy

I have started working on the belt, and the holster patterns. I was able to find a 1.1 scale DL-44 blueprint that I redrew to be more accurate and am using it as my template for the pattern.

That will require some discussion for sure, but at this point I think this is enough to start with.

So, I look forward to all your feedback.

Here are a few things I need. If you have any information, please let me know.

1. What is the exact diameter and thickness of the ESB, ANH, and RotJ disk on the right side of the belt?

2. What is the round "Greeblie" and what are the dimensions.

3. What are the dimensions of the droid caller?

Thanks! Very Happy

P.S. Thanks Jedimika! I hope this turns out to be one of the best threads for the holster, so we can all have awesome versions! Very Happy
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some photos from the traveling exhibit, I can upload them for you.

the Han Mannequin was behind glass, so I was limited in the angle/proximity of the lens..
but I managed to get a few pics of the belt that I can share with you.

I believe the round greeblie in ESB was a vacuum tube from an old ~1950's-era radio, or audio amplifier.
but I can't confirm this. this is just a hunch. (the mannequin was wearing the ROTJ part).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

side of buckle, showing connection hardware, and side of leather 'pouch' flap
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/16/AABhSt.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/469/JBqSaH.jpg

buckle-face had beveled edges;
note the shape of connector on right side of image (left side of belt) -- there is a notch along the bottom edge.
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/677/zOVCpI.jpg

a glimpse of the silver disc greeeblie
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/2792/9RpRbS.jpg

hope this helps. cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Buckles: Updated

Cobalt-60!! Well done!

Those images are the best I have seen showing the back of the ANH buckle. The images really helped me redesign the hooks and "Y" connector. Seeing them so close and in such detail allowed me to actually draw right on top of them as a base shape.

Change Log:

- Created new shapes for the left and right hooks

- Added bevel to the front and back buckles

- Completely redesigned the "Y" connector to better represent size, shape, and position.

- Adjusted the rivet sizes

- Adjusted the size of the ESB straight hook

Thoughts

Based on the new information, I think I have come very close to nailing the ANH version of the buckle. The only thing I was not really able to determine was whether the fixed loop was angled or not.

I opted to make it angled as it seemed that the hook was sitting basically straight on the fixed loop.

What I'm still not sure about is on the ESB version, what is happening with the right hook (looking from back of buckle). From the images I have available, it does seem to curve down like the ANH version, but not to the same extreme angle.

The thing that does look strange to me is that the curve of the angle does seem to match the same angle as the ANH version. This makes me wonder if they just reused the same pattern?

You can see in this that it does seem to curve at a similar angle. It even looks like you can see the other side of the hook slightly above the buckle. This is very curious to me.

I added in the ANH version to the image above to see how it looks...it is very curious I think.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

I dun goofed! Very Happy

... I think.

So, I was going along organizing layers and cleaning up the file, when something started gnawing at me like a Mynock on a power cable.

I decided to superimpose the buckle and hooks on top of one of the new images provided. After adjusting angles and such, I realized that my buckle seems to be the totally wrong size/shape.

Now, I realize there is some lens distortion, and that some of the parts are in perspective, but I think that it is pretty clear that my buckle is not correct.

I am going to adjust it, but before I do, I figured I would post it here and see if you guys had any thoughts?
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESB Holster
v 1.0

Well, three hours later and I think I've fixed the buckle, and a bunch of other little nitpicks.

I think the most frustrating and interesting part is how one small change can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the parts. Once I resized the buckle, I realized that the hooks were going to sit differently. It has also been challenging trying to figure out what is happening under the buckle. As you can see from the image above, it seems like a drunken party behind the buckle where everything is attaching all willy-nilly.

I've stared at these buckles and tweaked them to the point where I am confident they are almost 100%. There are a few super small questions I have, and I am hoping they might get solved if the museum gets back to me, but I can't see how I can make this any more accurate with the resources I have available to me.

That's not to say I don't invite you guys to tear it apart. If you can find flaws, or mistakes, by all means let me know.

...On to the belt. Very Happy
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

Yesterday was basically cleaning up the file. Deleting stray points, double checking that everything is measured correctly and lining up right. Checking for errors in layers, naming layers, and various other house keeping.

I also got parts of the project started that I think you're all going to like, but I'll keep that on the down low for now.

At this point I have the following 95% complete.

- Pouches
- Front Buckles
- Back Buckles
- Belt (buttons, pouch placement, disk placement, etc) mostly rough blocked

I say 95% because the following are questions I need answering.

1. What is the exact placement of the back buckle on the ESB version
2. Is the button pouch riveted or sewn, or both (I think riveted)
3. What is the length of the "post" that attaches the "Y" connectors
4. Why do some of the costume test photos of the ANH version not have rivets on the hooks

I'll be posting some more patterns later in the day, so everyone have a great Sunday....oh, GOG has X-Wing v.s TIE Fighter on sale....go get it.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really an extremely impressive piece of work!! I had always intended to take on a project like this (compiling drawings, measurements, etc) but your much better at it than I am, so I'm glad you're putting together what will hopefully be a "definitive" version!!

Although I made my own belt slightly wider (2 1/4"), I'm not sure I agree that it is actually that wide. It seems closer to 2", but that may be splitting hairs.

Also, on the ESB "angled" thing on the front...from my experience, I think it is the weight of the blaster that pulls the belt down into the angled shape. One of the reasons why it's important to have a blaster that has the proper weight to it, and not simply a plastic prop that looks good. My belt does connect perpendicular to the sides of the ESB buckle, but it still pulls into a "Y" shape when wearing it with the blaster.

Also, with regard to the thickness of the leather question...there is a tool called a "V" gouge that you can get to score a V shaped groove into the back side of the leather that will help the corners fold more crisply when wet-molding your pouches. This will help correct that problem

My button pouch is both riveted and sewn, but looking at the photos, I think you're right on the screen-used version. It appears to be riveted only.

I have a copy of the "Star Wars Costumes" book on the way, it should arrive any day now. There are some detailed shots of the ESB belt in it. If there's anything interesting that might help, I'll post it here.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see this build actually start to take place. I'll be watching with interest!!

Till next time, keep your friends close and your blaster closer.

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Sorry for the late update. I realized a few things after researching leather craft that I wanted to incorporate into the patterns.

Belts

Here I have the first version of the belts. As you can see, the Droid Caller isn't done, and I have both belt types on there for reference. So far, I think this version is getting pretty close. Check it out.

Thoughts

One of the things I am having a really hard time determining is the actual length of the belts. I realize that the belt will have to adjust slightly to fit the individual, but I wanted to get the placement of everything right, before worrying about length.

What I ended up doing was positioning the hooks at the end, and then carefully measuring each gap before placing the next element. I worked my way along the belt until I got to the end. There, I added the thickness of the leather, and then made sure the buttons lined up.

IF my calculations are correct, the belt should be about the right length (It is currently about 23" without any folds). From there I figured the best place for the "break" in the pattern would be just before the first set of buttons. I figured that would be a good place to add extra, or take a few inches away if needed as it would keep the look of the belt intact while viewing from the front and back.

Issues

There are of course a few things I'm not too happy about.

I am having a very hard time visualizing how the thickness of the leather will affect the pattern. It has been suggested to me that I should go get some 1/8" foam and attempt a mockup build. I think that is a great idea, and I plan on doing that this week if I can find the time to get out.

The second issue is that there are a few measurements I am unsure of. The "Disk" for example is pure guesswork. I don't have the specs for the one being sold, nor do I have clear enough photos of the actual one to determine the size.

This has the potential to throw all the measurements off at the back of the belt. I would really like to get some more concrete info.

Things to note

I have had a few people tell me that they've begun creating their belts using these patterns. I highly discourage this as the patterns are constantly changing. As well, the images I am uploading are not 1:1 scale and even though I have measurements on them, these are often very rough, or even wrong.

When this is done, I will make available a printable version that is 1:1 and ready to go. Trust me. Very Happy

Project Update

I am at the point now where I am about 90% complete the belts. I just need to finish the droid caller, track down the size of the disk, and go over the whole thing to make sure every line is in place, and all the measurements are correct.

The pouches are done and the buckles are done. Once I get the belts completed, I can finish off the holster, and then prepare everything for distribution.

Questions

1. What is the diameter of the "disk"?
2. Are the elements on the belt in the correct positions?
3. What is the length of the belt?

See you guys soon. Very Happy

CaptSolo77 wrote:
This is really an extremely impressive piece of work!! I had always intended to take on a project like this (compiling drawings, measurements, etc) but your much better at it than I am, so I'm glad you're putting together what will hopefully be a "definitive" version!!

Thanks Capt!

Your belt is one of the ones I first came across when starting this project, and the craftsmanship inspired me to see if I could make one as good. Very Happy

CaptSolo77 wrote:
Although I made my own belt slightly wider (2 1/4"), I'm not sure I agree that it is actually that wide. It seems closer to 2", but that may be splitting hairs.

It probably wasn't a bad idea. The entire holster probably should be scaled based on the person wearing it (a 5'4" person may be swimming in a standard size belt), but for me, I'm finding that the standard 2" belt is making it a whole lot easier to determine the size of everything else.

CaptSolo77 wrote:

Also, on the ESB "angled" thing on the front..

I was so convinced it had some fanciness going on behind the ESB buckle to get the "V", but the more photos I come across, the more I think you're right. All my ESB buckles have straight bars on them.

CaptSolo77 wrote:

Also, with regard to the thickness of the leather question...there is a tool called a "V" gouge that you can get to score a V shaped groove into the back side of the leather that will help the corners fold more crisply when wet-molding your pouches. This will help correct that problem

I did come across that tool on the Tandy store, and I think that will be a great idea.

I was more thinking in terms of when two pieces of leather must occupy the same space. There aren't too many spots where this happens, but I'm trying to determine if there will be an issue.

The other part where it matters is say in the pouches. I always have to be conscious of the thickness because if I forget to incorporate it into the design, no one would ever get their greeblies in. It also means buttons don't line up, and blasters don't fit. :/

CaptSolo77 wrote:

My button pouch is both riveted and sewn, but looking at the photos, I think you're right on the screen-used version. It appears to be riveted only.

I agree. I have changed the pattern to only have rivets.

CaptSolo77 wrote:

I have a copy of the "Star Wars Costumes" book on the way, it should arrive any day now. There are some detailed shots of the ESB belt in it. If there's anything interesting that might help, I'll post it here.

Sounds good! I was thinking of hitting up a local bookstore and seeing if I could pick it up as well. I did see it at Chapters, but it was sealed, and so I couldn't thumb though it.

Hopefully there is something awesome in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: