Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c5480822ecb1d59ae99da0c44b53ab0cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Vidscreen Build for JLSWD and Discovery World
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...
I have to move on...

Some of you have already seen this on Facebook...
but
yesterday I put the piece together (the screen had been in it before I painted it and the screen fit) and see if the screen would still fit after painting...
it didn't...
so..
I had to do some adjustments on that..
but eventually got the screen back into the frame as designed..

The next question is the graphics....and I REALLY need to make a decision..

I do think that a white colored light will simply not show up at all at the two venues this will be displayed at...
that leaves me to colored light..

as noted..using the lights of a lightsaber as a guide..
red is out...
blue is out...

leaving green or possibly yellow...

that being said...with a green or yellow LED then I would guess that the graphics should be done on white or light gray...
someone also suggested using a spray glass frosting..but that goes back to successful taping of round graphics...
difficult to do..

the place that sells the vinyl does sell transparent...but that might not work at all...it is just transparent and not frosted...

Here is a place I have been looking at for lights as they advertise SUPER bright lights

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/?gclid=CInNgJa75sQCFQwbaQodTYIAHA

but a bit expensive...
to have lights go all around you are looking at 16 feet...
at 15.25 per foot that is around $250.00

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Woulf ()
Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Nar Shaddaa Base CO

Medals: 13 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can 16.5' of green LED tape along with a transformer to feed it for about $100. is there room within the pipes to secure it to the inside of the pipe? we could attach it to the glass itself but may cause issues later on.

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Active Legion Member

Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woulf wrote:
I can 16.5' of green LED tape along with a transformer to feed it for about $100. is there room within the pipes to secure it to the inside of the pipe? we could attach it to the glass itself but may cause issues later on.

Depending on the size of the LED tape
the vendor in my post above states that theirs are .5mm (0.20in.)
which is about the thickness of the plexiglass...the plexi is about 1/4" wide...
so
..yes...
there is room in those pipes both top and sides for the LED strips if they are 1/4" wide and no more than 1/2" high...

I think that the LED strips would have to be secured to the glass in some manner....perhaps a bit of hot glue in a few spots along the tape just to make sure...hot glue is usually fairly easily "popped" out of place when necessary..

Green sounds excellent..
and
the price is certainly right..
I have the $$ aside for the lights...so that is no problem...

I think then with a green light...I should go with white graphics...
and with white I think I can still paint the straight lines if I prepare the glass really well first...and use the Frogtape..

the circles will have to be cut from the vinyl though..

Woulf ()
Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Nar Shaddaa Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine say they are 10 mm wide and 2.4 mm thick.

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woulf wrote:

It is a little wide, but I am pretty sure that it will still work...
the thing about having it wider is that I will definitely need help with set up to ensure that the glass gets put into the grooves on the frame without disturbing the led strip...

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Mrs Hartss..... I don't know if you purchased the vinyl already Phyllis but I did notice that you mentioned a frosted spray. This could also be done. Instead of using the vinyl in the traditional way as in an applied decal, you can use the reverse part of it as a stencil, spray it, and then peel the vinyl away. Did you see the blaster that Tim made? I made the stencil for him with my Cricut.
Woulf ()
Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Nar Shaddaa Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Woulf wrote:

It is a little wide, but I am pretty sure that it will still work...
the thing about having it wider is that I will definitely need help with set up to ensure that the glass gets put into the grooves on the frame without disturbing the led strip...

Still havent been there to see exactly how this goes together...does the glass slide up into the top and sides, then whole assembly slide down in the base? the other trick is to figure how we wire this so it can come apart too, or figure a way keep it afixed in a certain chunk of pieces. i can break this down into sections, however then we need to add power supplies, or a way disconnect and reconnect the sections as its going together.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woulf wrote:

Still havent been there to see exactly how this goes together...does the glass slide up into the top and sides, then whole assembly slide down in the base? the other trick is to figure how we wire this so it can come apart too, or figure a way keep it afixed in a certain chunk of pieces. i can break this down into sections, however then we need to add power supplies, or a way disconnect and reconnect the sections as its going together.

It all comes completely apart...you can assemble the screen a couple of different ways especially with 2 people. When I assemble it alone I put the side supports into the console....then I lift the glass into position on one side and with the other side askew...
when one side is in, then I match up the askew side and twist it into place. The glass essentially "floats" in the frame on the sides. If you are out and about today...lmk and you can stop by and see how it all works if you want to make a determination on if the led strip will fit....better safe than sorry...

hartss wrote:
This is Mrs Hartss..... I don't know if you purchased the vinyl already Phyllis but I did notice that you mentioned a frosted spray. This could also be done. Instead of using the vinyl in the traditional way as in an applied decal, you can use the reverse part of it as a stencil, spray it, and then peel the vinyl away. Did you see the blaster that Tim made? I made the stencil for him with my Cricut.

Wow...cool...maybe I should also think about buying a Cricut machine ...it would seem that I am always trying to create something and it sounds like the machine is much more versatile than I gave it credit for being...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get an extra paycheck (and one without healthcare $$ taken out) in May...
so..

Well...I did it...I bought a Cricut machine..
the new Cricut Explorer...I found it on-line bundled with some extra tools and stuff at a really good price...about the same price as the older version
...it is supposed to arrive on Thursday. Once it comes, I will see in the instructions what vinyl to buy...as noted...it won't be able to cut the large circles...
but possibly if the circle is made in 4 pieces...
half won't do it...
it will need to be 4....

I make a LOT of different things all year round...so I am hoping that I will get a good amount of use out of this machine..I had been thinking about one of these for a long time...and after watching some videos on Youtube about the new machine...it sounded like it was time to buy..

MrsHartss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, You will love it. I have The Cricut Explore (as well as several other Cricuts). If you need help, let me know. There are also several facebook groups that I am in for the Cricut Explore (help, suggested projects etc) and the CEO of Cricut as well as several of their employees are in them too. They often jump in to try to assist any customers who are having issues.
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty excited about buying the Cricut...
I never seem to mind spending money on "tools"...
whether it is chainsaws, chippers, circular saws, hand tools, leather working tools, a sewing machine, or stuff for molding and casting...
tools always seem to "come in handy" at some point..

thankfully I had a cr*pload of woodworking tools from YEARS ago...I don't use them as often as I used to...but for this build...
that's right..
they came in handy..

Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Mamman came out to look at the Vidscreen on Monday...and as our electrical expert is reviewing our lighting options...will in all likelihood be lit in green led

Cricut Expolre due to arrive tomorrow....

White vinyl ordered for the circles and some of the lines. (I also ordered a smaller roll of Red...so I will try to cut some Rebel Alliance insignias for folks)

So...
we are heading into the home stretch....

Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I guess I have not been keeping up posting here...though have posted progress on Facebook...

Anyway...
using the Cricut machine...I cut out some Rebel birds and applied them to the console...

and started on the lines...

With the lines done...
it was time for the mind numbing process of circles...

unfortunately..
all of the circles I needed were too big for the Cricut machine...

those I did by hand...

blech...

With an assortment of different sized circles cut...

time to start putting them onto the plexi...

then the line that goes from the center of the smallest circle out to the top corner of the glass

I still have a few more circles to put on...but have to wait for that paint line to dry...that line was painted on and not cut from the Oracal paper...

Then...
it is up to Steve Mamman to "light er up"....

well....
as best as we can...

Crix (Thomas Turner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! fantastic!

CO: OUTLAW SQUADRON - OUTLAW 13
CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Woulf ()
Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Nar Shaddaa Base CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have ordered the lights, just waiting on delivery...then to get time to get over and try to install them. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: