Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3384d7b4e9ea1c77655ca59141032954Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tan/Burgundy Clone Wars Action Gear?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeryn Everdeen ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Tan/Burgundy Clone Wars Action Gear? Reply with quote

So, despite my limited seamstress/craft skills, I've gotten it in my head that I really, really want to do this costume: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090615165831/starwars/images/d/dd/PadmeTCW-Agenda.png

And I'm having a devil of a time getting started, especially as there don't appear to be any official standards for this costume. Has anyone else out there tried it?

I've hunted on Ebay and found a suede dress jacket which, with some modifications, I think could work for the vest: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDU4MQ==/z/7oUAAOSwDk5UK2qV/$_57.JPG

Also, what are the thoughts on this holster? (the buckle would need to be changed for sure): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-COSPLAY-Leather-HOLSTER-Padme-Amidala-Indiana-Jones-/351225327973?

Where I'm running into a wall so far is the leggings. I've found a few leggings the right color which do have that apparent stitching/pintuck that runs down the center of the legs. But - and this is probably a silly question - what is the consensus on seams elsewhere? There doesn't appear to be an inseam or outer seam in the picture I've posted - which doesn't seem possible? Seems like there should be at least one or the other. I have one semi-clear picture of the back of the costume, and there might be back center leg seams, but again it's difficult to tell: http://www.thepensieve.net/moigallery2/albums/padme/tv/tcw/season3/3x05corruption/caps/302.jpg

Thanks so much! Amadalia
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you are doing this costume! I really love the look of it.

We do actually have one member who has done it already, so you may be able to PM her with questions on it, as she is our expert.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=9272

The color of that jacket looks pretty good, so I think that is a good start to modify. That holster is a bit dark in color, but the shape is good. In better lighting it might look a little lighter brown, but it's hard to tell from the photos. The cartoon version is also significantly boxier in shape. You should check that it fits a Padme blaster.

As far as leggings seams go, the cartoons don't always give us the seams we need. I feel that as long as extra seams aren't distracting or decorative, you should be fine.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile

That lady's got some great pictures of her costume too, which are really helpful. I'd been stressing about finding a pair of boots with the right size buckle/strap, but in her pics I don't see any buckle? Interesting. (I've been looking at something like these, with the top buckle removed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221607886805?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT )

That's reassuring on the leggings. I've been looking at these... I was thinking (overthinking? Wink) the pintuck, while in the right place, might be a little too prominent: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181579543658?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=480539040271&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

-- Aeryn
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one? Bueller? Wink

Well, my jacket arrived, and it looks a little more dark/purplish than it did online. :/ I'm wondering if maybe just washing it a few times might make a difference in the color:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/ladyaeryn2/Mobile%20Uploads/20141124_182612.jpg

-- Aeryn
--> Clone Wars Tan/Burgundy Action Padmé
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for slow replies here.

First, boots: those look like a good pair to start with and modify, though you will have to remove the buckles and add the correct details back on.

Leggings: It's hard to say whether the pin-tucks are too prominent or not until you were to actually put them on. One thing you may want to consider is getting a second pair to cut up and make the quilted patches out of, so that the fabric matches exactly.

Jacket: yes, that is too purple. Washing may do it, or it may not. I have heard that laying that stuff in the sun to may get it to fade. You may also be able to dunk it in a red dye bath to bring it back to the correct color family, depending on the material.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated thanks on the feedback! Amadalia

I don't think I'll have a chance to get everything on this one together for Anaheim - but hey, that's what future Celebrations are for!
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I think I just found an even better set of leggings!

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?Br=F21&Category=bottom&ProductID=2000136914&VariantID=&recid=product_rr-_-00117643-_-00136914-_-58-_-4

Center leg stitching, no pockets/zippers... unbelievable how difficult it is to find something that meets those! (Not a bad price, either.) Looks like all that's needed is to add the side paneling!

-- Aeryn
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great! I'd get two pairs of them, so you can cut up the second pair for the quilted patches.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered two pairs of the leggings, so excited! The bug for this costume has really bitten again... I'm hoping to even have it ready for Anaheim! Amadalia I apologize again for any naivete, I'm definitely still a youngling/Padawan in the costuming arena.

- Holster/Pouch (maybe the belt too): Thinking I just want to go ahead and make my own, because a) none of the premade holsters out there are quite boxy enough and b) it'd be much easier to match the colors this way. Would cutting out the shapes for the holster/pouch in cardboard and covering them with the chosen material work? I really like the look of this distressed brown microsuede, though I do already have some vinyl I picked up cheap that maybe I could spray paint the right color?

- Belt: Something like this, with the plaque painted over? Though I'm not that wild about this particular belt for some reason. Maybe because it feels a little too fashiony instead of practical, but then again, a number of Padmé's costumes seem to straddle that fine line. Here's another possibility I like a little better, though I'd have to measure my chunky self first to see if it'd even fit.

- Gauntlets/bracers: The ones the other RL-er made look okay, but I'd like something that looks a little smoother/sturdier. Would it be totally silly to start off with something like these, then try to cover them in a material like microsuede/vinyl for a) a softer finish, b) to hide the laces, and c) create the cuff that extends over the bottom of the hands? Also wondering - no pun intended - whether bits of painted Wonderflex or worbla would work for the detailing/piping? Was thinking of using a material like that for the gold shoulder trim and rank badge as well.

Back to square one on the boots, I didn't move quickly enough on that pair I linked. Bah! Also going to hold off on buying the turtleneck/top until the leggings arrive, so I can try for a more accurate color match. (Forever21 doesn't have any plain khaki/beige turtlenecks, the stinkers.)

EDIT: Maybe these as a starting point for the boots?

-- Aeryn
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out I'm not going to make it to Anaheim. Sad The positive side of that is I've got time to take it easy and get this costume right! Celebration VIII, look out. Very Happy

Apologies in advance for the less than ideal pictures; I don't have a full length mirror in my apartment. At some point further down the line I intend to go to my mother's, and make use of hers! (As well as her sewing machine...)

My leggings arrived from Forever 21, and the color matches the cartoon better than I'd thought! The original pictures on the F21 website looked somewhat light, but the actual color is a bit darker and therefore closer to what I'd been hoping for. They fit perfectly too (so long as I don't go Jabba anytime soon, LOL); while there's a bit of bunching at the ankle that's nothing the boots won't cover.

I got some crimson iDye Poly and attempted to correct the color on the vest/jacket (my first attempt at fabric dyeing) - it's definitely less purple now, but I'm still wondering if I should have gone with a more brilliant red. (Finished result here and here, in two slightly different light settings.)

-- Aeryn
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really fell off the wagon on this one! In my defense, I got a new job and moved 2,000 miles to the West Coast, so it's been a crazy year!

I'm re-cracking at this costume in hopes of having it ready for Orlando. I tried my hand at dyeing the shirt I'd gotten earlier, but I'm still not sure about the color. Sad I've looked and found this vest:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/2/3/2/6/3/webimg/531082346_o.jpg?nc=636105879176978829
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/2/3/2/6/3/webimg/531082340_o.jpg?nc=636105879176978829

It seems to be the right color, has a serviceable collar, and even has the seam across the bust you can make out in some of the higher resolution pictures of this costume. But I wonder if it would be possible to remove the fleece trim and the zipper (since zippers don't seem to exist in the GFFA, at least the animated one)? Or does the color from my earlier dye job not seem so bad? What think ye, o feedback goddesses? Wink
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great color, but I am a little wary of the fleece. You'd have to do some pretty significant alterations on it to get it the correct shape, and I am worried that it's not fuzzy trim, but a seam, and the original doesn't have a seam there.

Given the intense alterations you would have to do to any existing vests, have you considered trying to sew it yourself? It is a pretty basic shape. A good pattern to start with would probably be Butterick 4688, which I what I used when I did the battle handmaiden costume. You can do a practice version in some broadcloth or an old bed sheet to get the fit and shape right, then make the real thing out of your actual fabric.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was afraid of that too. I know at some point I'm going to have to break down and sew something from scratch, I've just been putting it off for various reasons.

Do you mean that you don't see a seam across the bustline, or am I misunderstanding? Because this picture in particular seems to show some sort of seam/crease there. I suspect I may be fretting too much over things like seams, though, given that this is an animated costume!

Is this the pattern you mentioned?

Thanks again! Amadalia
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, that picture is really small so it's hard to tell. If you found a larger image, that would help.

And yes, that's the pattern. I found that it was great for the basic shape of that collar. When giving it a trial run with cheap fabric, you can just leave off the sleeves and sew the rest, then figure out how short it needs to be after you try it on.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Guess it's time to break down and buy that sewing machine on sale I've been eyeing! Smile

Doh, that pic IS tiny! Not sure why, it looked huge on my PC. Let's try these:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2e/ab/eb/2eabeb1c5bb05b07d044ac899dc7eef9.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4e/05/8b/4e058b0d9e36aa0d2d28645c4f7b409a.jpg

And for the boots, something like these? With the top buckle removed, of course:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142108549072?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=441190611635&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or these, with the detail panel added to the top back to cover the lace holes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371301098548?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: