Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7d1da09187cb496300c4fd9888fde5b2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melanoo ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP Reply with quote

My cousin is making the dress/coat for me. We were able to find the burnout out fabric for the coat thanks to someone on the forums Smile She's now dyed the fabric and the backing came out very light but the "furry" bits of the fabric took the colour beautifully. We're not sure how to proceed to get an even colour? Any suggestions? The first picture is the dyed version at heavy concentration. The second and third pictures are painted (she put the dye samples over the dress fabric to show the "concentration" of the fabric and how it will show up over the dress.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from the same source, and the trick with that burn-out is that your pile (the furry part) is rayon and can be dyed with standard natural dies. The back is polyester and needs to be dyed with a polyester dye. This means two separate dye baths. The backing looks light because it really didn't pick up the natural dye. I used iDye for mine and it worked pretty well (can be bought here). Unlike natural fabric dyes, polyester dyes also have to be in boiling hot water to work.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

melanoo ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to her Smile
melanoo ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

My cousin was home for Christmas and I was able to get some updated pics of the work she's done on my costume Smile I'm not sure about the "medallion" on the overcoat.

melanoo ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

oh and I've also found someone (through Etsy) to make the headpiece for me Smile I'm hoping the costume will be ready for Star Wars Celebration in April. Only thing I have to make now is the choker, which I'm pretty sure I can manage on my own. I'm not very crafty, but I think even I can manage that ;P
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great so far! I do have some color concerns though. Your initial photos of the velvet are a great color of purple, but your more recent seem very light, and very blue, especially when compared with the dark satin you have for the dress. The piping on the coat is also very light. Is that all just the lighting in the photos or do you plan to dunk the whole coat in dye again?

Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from personal experience that the velvet photographs horribly. It is very shiny and if the lighting isn't just right it's almost impossible to capture the actual color. The places where it looks darker are more likely the actual color than the shiny spots.
melanoo ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

it's just the lighting. it was night time and the pics were taken in a room with only an overhead light and with my cell phone Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, could you snap a photo of your fabrics (both dress and velvet) in good lighting? I'd rather check this now than have to ask you to do another dye job much later in the process.

melanoo ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: padme wip Reply with quote

My cousin took the cloak and dress back to the UK with her to finish some details on it. I'll ask her to get a good quality picture and send it to me.
sehanine ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation on progress Smile The dress looks nice so far however, when compared with close-ups on Padawan's Guide, I'd suggest two changes/enhancements:

According to pics http://www.padawansguide.com/purple_exhibit.shtml it seems that the sequined part of the corset and the floral cord pattern on your corset are different than the original. As for the sequined panel it's a matter of adding more sequins so that the shape is right. As for the cord, in my opinion, the cord your cousin is using is at fault here, I may be wrong but it just seems to be too thick and too soft, which makes the ornament bumpy and uneven. The original ornament is very delicate and symmetrical. If there's still a chance to change the cord then it would be good to do so because it will be very hard to get the right result with the one used now.

Another thing which may be very hard to remake when the dress is finished is the back of the dress. The original dress' back has a few cuts and pipings coming out of seams. Yours seem to be a one-piece with stripes of piping fabric sewn on the base material, or am I wrong? Perhaps it won't be an issue when you send us your application, but I'd like another Judge to take a look and express their opinion.
melanoo ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

here's a pic of the dye jobs that my cousin took this morning in natural light.

melanoo ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

I sent a copy of your message and your concerns to my cousin. I sent her the list of requirements when we first started the project, and I did tell her that it had to be exact so that it could be approved. So if that means she has to make changes/fix it, then that's what she'll have to do.
melanoo ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Padme Imperial Senate Gown WIP January 2015 Reply with quote

ok, so after much discussion with my cousin, she's going to redo the cording. I was able to find a seller on Etsy that was selling a pdf of the cording pattern. So that means that it will be more accurate in both material used AND the actual pattern. She's also going to fix the sequins on the corset....I just have to send it to her in the UK! Razz
sehanine ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Smile Would you mind giving us the link to the listing?

And remember- if you or your cousin have any doubts or questions you can always ask here. It's better to ask first before you start or buy anything, it saves time and money especially, when you're working on a great project like the Purple Senate.

Also, it would be great to see your dress worn by someone or at least on a dummy. Clothes are easier to appraise when they are being worn Smile When I started making Padme costumes I haven't even heard about the Rebel Legion (and the requirements) and my first, the Parade Gown was a typical, cosplay-contest costume for fun. I'm a professional seamstress but I made at least two big mistakes when working on the gown and thus, it's not flawless and I haven't even tried to register it yet: first, I didn't print any images to have them close at hand when sewing- I was using my computer from time to time, only remembering the dress and this way my Parade has some proportion issues. Second- I didn't take any in progress photos of myself in the dress.

Now I never skip that part because you can easily see if there's something wrong with the costume or, when you show your pics to people- they will definitely point out all flaws Wink Not to mention that when you compare pics of Natalie and you every now and then, you'll definitely end up making an impeccable replica.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: