Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=58bf035e293b9770a02a1fc4d5225a50Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot build is coming together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Pilot build is coming together Reply with quote

Hey guys

Been working on this one for a little bit. Thought I'd post up some progress pics.

I got my jumpsuit, flak vest, belt, and chest box from Baron Flux. I haven't submitted the costume yet, but looks like those main pieces should be good to go. His work looks great.

Gloves, boots are soviet jack boots from eBay (actually came literally from Russia). Leg and belt flares are from elvistrooper. Actually ended up with two sets of arm tools, one from elvistrooper and another from Arm on Fire (both look excellent). Helmet is a darthhair, which I'm working on painting now.

I have all the stuff from strapworks to make the leg flare holster and ejection harness. Was just waiting for the other stuff to arrive before I commit on sizing those.

The detail on Baron Flux's stuff is awesome:

Knocking out the ejection harness:

And starting on the paint:

Last edited by wh1plash (Brandon) on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I know that only a Luke face character costume can wear a lightsaber on the belt, but I picked up this resin cast at MegaCon Orlando a couple months ago. Finally finished it out so I can hang it from the belt for informal stuff. I figure I won't mind if a resin one gets banged around a bit. Still need to weather it with a wash, but waiting until I can knock on the helmet at the same time.

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome man! And thanks for the kind words.

www.facebook.com/pilotbay369
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my ejection harness, got some nice 2" velcro for attachment.

And adding some orange velcro to the jumpsuit for attaching it. Made sure I have plenty of meat, while still being hidden by the vest, so I have the widest possible range of adjustment. Orange color isn't the exact same, but then again, it'll never be seen...

Wife has been highly amused by the sight of my wookiee-sized self at her craft station, but was somewhat surprised I could actually sew fairly decently. She shouldn't be too surprised, my mom was an art teacher and all around crafting queen.

wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masking off for the paint job:

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good so far. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks!

Got a lot of progress on the paint job today. Preparation and patience goes a long way.

I've also got a bit of experience with vinyl decals, and I knew they'd be tough to apply on a spherical shape. I cut some relief into these so they'd apply with no bubbles or creases.

From watching darthhair's videos, I though they'd be waterslide decals, but looks like these are just standard vinyl-cut, which was totally cool with me.

In my opinion, Frog Tape is worth the extra $2 over regular masking tape. Makes for laser sharp lines with no bleed:

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! Thumbs up
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! And major points for doing your own sewing!
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Been slowly working on the last few details (painting takes forever). Thought I'd post up an update.

I was thinking about a way that I could easily attach the chestbox hose to the jumpsuit, without making any permanent holes or anything in the suit. I came up with a solution, see what you think.

First, I ordered a batch of neodymium rare earth magnets from Amazon for like $6. They're pretty stout, but not TOO strong. At first I thought about sewing a small hidden pocket into the suit and put the magnet in, but then it definitely wouldn't be able to go through the wash. So I took some of my spare webbing and velcro and went to town.

Then a little strip on the outside. Made sure to use the 'hard' side of the velcro, so the 'soft' side of the velcro will go on the suit. That way it won't pick if it has to go through the wash:

Then sewed the edges together to make a pocket:

The pocket is just the right size for the magnet:

Now on the host side, I blocked off the L-coupling and am filling it with Gorilla Glue. If you haven't used it before, it expands like 3x its size when it activates with a bit of water.

Once I get it mostly filled, I'll embed the other magnet with the last bit of glue. Then all I need is to decide the exact placing, and sew the soft piece of velcro on the inside of the suit. So now I have a nice easily removable magnet on the the inside of the suit. And the bonus is, with that layer of webbing and velcro, it provides enough padding so that I don't break or shatter the magnets when the snap together. Win-win.

So what do you guys think? I'm trying to make this build as tier-1 as I possibly can, not cutting any corners.
Deathmagnet (Jonathan)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took your advice on Frog tape. Thanks for the pointer, that stuff is excellent! Nice build btw.
wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathmagnet wrote:
I took your advice on Frog tape. Thanks for the pointer, that stuff is excellent! Nice build btw.

Thanks! Yeah I think the frogtape destroys regular masking tape for this type of stuff. Easy to get really clean lines. Here's where I'm at on the helmet as of now:

wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the other half of the magnet mount for the chest box hose. Came out just like I wanted.

I was thinking about how I'd get the magnet to "float" just right at the edge of the L-fitting, and came up with a pretty nice solution.

Took a flat piece of plastic so I would get a good edge seal (vs the rough teeth of the vice), and covered it in a ziplock bag which is fairly tough, and very smooth. I stuck the magnet to the vice, with the plastic inbetween:

Then I filled the L-fitting with the gorilla glue, positioned it over the magnet, and clamped it down tight:

Here's the end result. The magnet is perfectly flush with the leading edge of the L-fitting, and all the glue is expanded nicely and smooth as glass (expanded against the ziplock bag).

wh1plash (Brandon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my leg flare holster done today. Been putting it off really, because it was going to be annoying. Laughing

I couldn't find any 4" webbing in green, so I just used two strips on the back, and one on the top. I fixed them all together with the velcro to start, and then just worked down one loop at a time.

Since the rivets actually go between my two back strips of webbing, I put some big washers so they wouldn't just go through. Also put on a belt clip so that it can attach to to the top of the boots.

Finishing on the end:

Finished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: