Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=94ced4d5d63643f1df073e44c4c79a38Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Interpreting Fabric in the Clone Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Interpreting Fabric in the Clone Wars Reply with quote

So... I'm in the planning stages of my big project for Celebration-- Duchess Satine from the Clone Wars show, particularly her big 'throne room' outfit. I have a lot of reference photos and have been looking closely at the character rendering where the supposed pattern on her gown is shown in a small square. Looking at that in comparison to the screen shots I have... I would venture to say about 85% of the shots I have don't have the pattern and about 15%, the 'hero' shots rendered with particular detail, do.

I'll be honest and say that I don't personally care for the pattern on the blue outer robe given in the sample. It's a small brocade pattern, that when rendered, looks like a Photoshop stamp which happens with many of the fabric textures as in any CG animation but I'm worried won't look very nice in a real garment. Most of the time you don't even notice it, but I think you have to look at these details, especially when they're given in a source that could be used for a reference.

What do you think? What have other people done?

The costume presents a few challenges, namely getting the fabric weight and texture correct, as I would interpret the robes as all being some kind of satin. Going with the pattern shown in the diagram would break up the unity of that scheme. Also finding the right colors is going to be difficult and I imagine that I'll need to get them all at once and maybe at the same time....

This is the diagram....

Versus the rendering....
PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have one member with this costume (nolajedi), but I could not find her build thread Confused Hopefully her character description will help Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! She has a nice costume. I wish there was a search function on the members page where we could search for particular costume. I wish I could see other characters. Some of the Chu Chi costumes were helpful, but I don't know where to look...

Any suggestions, post away. My feelings now are to go with complementary fabrics and weights.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of anime cosplay, and even now I really enjoy costuming obscure video game and comic book Star Wars characters, so I am totally with you on the struggle of how to transfer something cartoon into real fabric.

For Satine, it looks like her fabrics are fairly heavy weight and pretty matte. Yes, I imagine they would be a rich looking fabric, but I would shy away from all but the most matte satins, as she does not appear shiny at all.

Some of the weight could come from self-lining, like her teal shirt, but one trick I have liked to use is when I find a pattern or texture of a fabric I like but it isn't heavy enough is to sandwich a layer of heavy fabric like canvass, duck, or even a really heavy interfacing in between the top layer and lining.

For at least the teal shirt, a rayon, viscose or some kind of blend involving one of those might get you the weight and luster you are looking for.

For the blue brocade-y type stuff, you may have some luck looking for a jacquard of some kind with a pattern you like, either already in blue or dying it. It definitely has a texture, so I wouldn't advise just using a plain, flat fabric without any interest to it, even if you can't find that exact "stamp" pattern.

In general, don't be afraid to find a fabric you like in the wrong color and dye it. It is harder with synthetics, but still possible in many cases.

With these cartoon characters, it's tough to replicate exact patterns. From the standpoint of an LCJ, "close enough" rules a lot of fabric matching from cartoon sources because we really can't know what it actually is, and it doesn't actually exist. But, if you find something and are nervous about it, please do run it by one of the LCJs before you commit.

I am really excited to see another Satine costume in the works. This looks like a really challenging but rewarding costume to work on.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna--

I used to do anime costuming too, so that's what got me thinking of what I could do to jazz up the costume a little bit. And I'm definitely not shy about dying anything. I've even gotten good at dying synthetics or printing fabric, like I did on an entire xxxHolic cosplay. That was nuts and I'm glad my parents love me enough to do that and now, years later my husband lets me do whatever as long as it gets cleaned up and I don't ruin the washer. Lol. And then there was all the fabric I literally made for my original Amidala outfit. That was 10 yards of acetate, a heat gun and however long the Super Bowl runs.

Yeah, I posted the first question and saw I wrote 'satin.' Yeah, definitely the wrong choice. I was more thinking of when you get a run of fancy fabrics at a store and they're all in the same color family, but different fabrics, like matching crepe back satin, satin, taffeta, tulle and acetate lining. Just because it might be easier to find matching shades. But that's a bridge to cross when I get there. Honestly, I would love to use taffeta or something like what you used for your CW Padme. If I had my way, I'd just dye a bunch of silk taffeta, but even though this is a big project, I still have a budget and I already made a silk taffeta Victorian ball gown this year.

Thanks for the tips about flat lining. One of the best tricks I learned in couture sewing! Makes things look so much finer. I've also fallen in love with buckram and wonderflex.

Looking at your Padme costume gave me an idea--what if the 'brocade' pattern was some sort of cut or embossed velvet or flocked fabric? I looked at the rendering of Padme and definitely got a new perspective...

Eyes are open for inspiration. I'm going to have to save up to make this all I want it to be, but hopefully things will work out!

Thank you!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you learn doing impossible fabric things for anime costumes. Razz

It took me the longest time to decide what I wanted for that Padme, but some folks convinced me that it was the cartoon's attempt at doing the same pattern as the bigger movie costume in the similar style.

And yes, I totally agree with you on the "satin" family rather than all-out shiny. Though I am very intrigued with your idea of embossing or stamping in a pattern. I really like the idea of making that pattern a texture, more than just a flat pattern on top of a fabric. You really want Satine to look lush and fancy in her fabric choices. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, actually, one fabric which is pretty close to the one that Satine is wearing; this one:
http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=306
It's rather thin, so it would have to be flat lined (i. e. with sturdy cotton), but it's really beautiful and, as I said, rather close to what you see in the rendered version.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some amazing fabric!! Thanks for the link. I wish it wasn't so expensive...

Looking forward to starting this soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: