Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=61decccb928e7802492535bdc7a8d605Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New and looking for advice on costume submission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlondeAsLuke ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: New and looking for advice on costume submission Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm Diana and I live down in Gilroy.

I'm new and looking for advice on my Generic Jedi costume submission.

I first wore a Jedi costume at Celebration VI when friends loaned me a costume. It fit terribly, but it was great fun dressing up with them for three days. Last year, another friend loaned me a costume that fit better for a parade in Walnut Creek. It was even more fun. I decided I need to stop bumming costumes off of friends and actually get my own.

I commissioned a costume and even took a few lightsaber dueling classes. (I can't say I was very good at those, but I did learn the twelve basic moves and discovered I can jump high when somebody is swinging something at me and I'm very frightened.)

I've had the costume for a while now but put off submitting because I was so focused on a project I really wanted to get done in the 501st. Took me nine months to finish that project and I didn't want to be working on two projects at once. Completed that task at the end of August, and have now turned my attention back to the Jedi costume. I have all the pieces except for the robe and the lightsaber. I know I need either one or the other. I've been trying to order a lightsaber off of Ultrasabers, but the site seems determined not to take my money. So, I'll likely get one someplace else.

Still would love to get the robe, too, in order to finish things off. Love the look of the full Jedi outfit. Could use some advice on where to get a robe?

Here are pics of what I have so far.

[/URL]

Wonder if I have too much khaki and earth tones going on? I'm fond of khaki, but wondering if I've got this whole "swallowed up by the sands of Tatooine" look going on.

I've only worn the costume the one time you see here in the pictures, although it did go through a few fittings. I was supposed to get a robe with it, but the creator of the costume flaked. Considering she started the project last September, I've rather given up hope I'll ever see that robe. So, I'll just order one elsewhere.

I did meet a few of you at the Jedi Nights event, although I doubt you remember me. I was there with my cousin, and two of my friends, all dressed as Jedi. We chatted with a couple of you about your costumes and lightsabers.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Not sure if it's frowned upon to be hugging members of the Evil Empire, but seriously, they're so cuddly sometimes.

So, the (under)belt is way too big. Anyway, I'll need to do something about the belt because that part kept gapping. I've since purchased the belt to go over it, with all the attachments, so that should help. Probably some judicious application of Velcro in all the right places. Still have plenty of industrial strength Velcro leftover from my armor build. Assuming you'd use the same stuff, although I could be wrong?

I have not actually mastered the venerable craft of sewing myself, although I greatly respect those who can ply a needle and thread. There is a lovely woman here in town who sews the patches onto my 501st jacket and alters my husband's pants. So, she could likely tuck and sew as needed if the bits needed to be rearranged around my rather scrawny posterior.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

- Diana
Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Diana!

Welcome! I don't have a robe for my jedi costume so I'm not much help there! If you're concerned about too much khaki, maybe try mixing it up with some darker brown pants. I have both tan and dark brown pants for my jedi costume. Since the tunic, obi and tabbards are light, I actually prefer it with the dark pants and it also ties in with the belt and boots.

If you haven't ventured over to the jedi costuming section of the Rebel Legion forums, I'd give that a try as I'm sure they would have a lot of great advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the jedi forums may be the better place to ask questions since the Legion Costume judges should be checking in there and know the current things that need to be in order for a costume to pass (we at the base level are not involved in costume reviews).

Off hand it looks like a workable base for the costume. Unsuer how picky they are on Obi widths these days but it looks a tad on the wide side to my eye (but may be acceptable, I don't know).

I know you need a proper belt to wear with it, and pouches seem to be in your photo.

I know if it is too thin they will call you out if they can see through the tunic. It sort of seems to be opaque enough in your photos.

Have you looked at the Generic Jedi costume standards as well to read through the current specifics and make sure you meet all those items on their numbered list? (It might be under the Resources tab in the web site).

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, it almost looks like you might have a t-shirt underneath your tunic (hard to tell from photos) so you may need to acquire a proper under tunic to wear underneath as t-shirts are not allowed. They usually have the cross over front design and more narrow fitted sleeves and tuck into the pants (or some make a dickie to keep cool and just have the fake cross over in front and a collar going around the neck - no sleeves).

If your outer tunic is a bit transparent/has no lining then you'd need to stick with an under tunic in roughly the same color. It's when people start to put a dark under tunic under another tunic that lacks lining and you can see through to the dark color (it calls attention to the outer tunic being thin) that you can get into a bit of a problem. So my advise is to keep the inner tunic the same color family of beige if your outer tunic is not lined.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: