Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a51b668b3ca00134513035931e939c7cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP I - III: Handmaiden costumes Q&A
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: EP I - III: Handmaiden costumes Q&A Reply with quote

Does anyone know where one can buy pre-pleated fabric? I've been wanting to make the yellow pleated dress with the velvet overcloak from Ep I Handmaiden, and Dorme's purple drapey number with a pleated underdress from Ep II. Prob is, it's like no one sells pre-pleated fabric! Buggers
Does anyone know where I can either get pre-pleated fabric, or how to permanently set pleats in synthetic fabrics if I get ambitious enough to make a pleater board?
Thanks Smile
Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

do you have a picture ?

i don't understand wich kind of fabric you want !!!!!

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

Pre-pleated?

I'm not a costuming expert, but I've never heard of pre-pleated fabric.  If you want to learn how to pleat clothing, try picking up a simple pleated shirt pattern or something to get the general idea of how it goes. 

Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

I'm not sure about pre-pleated, but I've seen crinkle that would work for the Dorme here in NYC.  You could try to starch in the pleats, the yellow dress looks like it was done that way (see how it's flipped up in the runway photos).

I have a few pictures of the dresses from the runway show
http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/dressingagalaxynyc

Darth_Eagle ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Leia on 09 April 2006

Does anyone know where one can buy pre-pleated fabric? I've been wanting to make the yellow pleated dress with the velvet overcloak from Ep I Handmaiden

You refering to the TPM Handmaiden Mustard/Gold Dress rite?

http://www.padawansguide.com/tpm_handmaidens2.shtml

Many, many years ago after TPM came out, I did venture out to the Cloths District here in Singapore and one of the shop told me he know of a factory that can do such pleating. But I got to pay for a 50m Bolt of Polyester Fabric plus the cost of pleating and the end result will be 25m.

Last year I did see the pleated fabric I thot of using for this dress at a shop here but it comes in many colors except for Mustard.

So your best bet, just the Box Pleats by hand, maybe with the help of a Pleating Board or do a Fortuny(sp?) pleating (aka, gather the cloth, twist it tightly, fold it while twisting it further and tied down, then boil or heating gently in the Microwave Machine and dry it in that bundled up position)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

i think you have to do it yourself, i have never seen things like this
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

Is it considered "cheating" to use a broomstick skirt for Dormé's skirt?
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Pleated Fabric for Handmaiden Costumes? Anyone? Reply with quote

It depends on you personal standard for making the costume.

The actual pleating techniques are not specified most of the RL standards for formal. As with many of the details, the method that you replicate it does not have to be exact method used for the movie costume. But the end result should have the same overall look and silhouette.

I would not call finding something that works for you, and recreates the overall look "cheating".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (rather belatedly), Mary Alice!

:~)

Are there any specific standards for Dormé's pre-Senate/Senate appearance gown for Ep II?

My gown was accepted under the "old standards" many years ago, but I'm not sure if it's still up to standard to meet the formal guidelines now.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Alice and I are looking into all of the standards and we will have a complete list of all R/S costuming standards posted in this area http://www.rebellegion.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=31 .

Edit by Mary Alice see http://www.rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8978 for the Handmaiden Standards. Only EP I are done so far.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant if you have suggestions for the rest of the Handmaiden standards, post them here http://www.rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8979 The first post explains the format needed for the list.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.

I have to admit I'm terrified to suggest anything; I don't really feel I know the proper sewing or fabric terms for a lot of what I'd want to say...
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
Thanks for the links.

I have to admit I'm terrified to suggest anything; I don't really feel I know the proper sewing or fabric terms for a lot of what I'd want to say...

You just need to describe the costume. I know some descriptions you can get from the DAG book and Padawans Guide. We do need tutorials but standards of what is essential is REALLY what we need at this point. We have nothing for AOTC & ROTS handmaidens Sad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some questions about the Sabe battle decoy costume. The bottom part....is it a separate skirt or a dress or goucho type pants or what? I can't tell. And if anyone has done this costume... Did you use a pattern for it, and if so what did you use?

GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking through the Dormé purple gown standards...is there anyone I could PM with ideas before posting? I really am kind of terrified to suggest anything, and running it by someone else would make me feel better. Embarassed

On another note, I recently bought this fabric to do the gold throne room gown:
http://gentlebant.com/images/goldpleated.jpg

and was wondering if anyone could help me decide which velvet is closer to accurate for the hooded, outer part? (Or, neither?) I think the darker one is too dark and a bit too dark yellow, and the other is more of a camel color, but either might work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: