Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d7195216883a4d9e47f897649111e06fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pink dress cartoon mini series
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Pink dress cartoon mini series Reply with quote

So I'm planning this dress.
http://padawansguide.com/padme/clone/clone_veggie.jpg

I have already draped and patterned the skirt. (See if I can get some pictures. But I wasn't planning on posting pics till I got to the final fabrics cause right now I'm using old bed sheets and it looks really ratty Mr. Green .)
I have just added my busk to the corset that will be going under the quilted top. I just got so exited that I had to show it off. This is the first time I have done corset busks (I have made corsets just not ones with busks) I think I did rather well for my first time.
http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/tilsha-rune/media/10384676_616975825082635_7780309461850779306_n_zpsd690ed34.jpg.html
The corset is white the flash made it weird Razz As soon as I have the boning in the hardest parts will be done. Then I can start working on the quilted top. Very Happy
This is my second Star wars costume.
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thinking about when this is finished I think this dress is going to be kinda flat and boring not that many details compared to Padme's other outfits (outside of the mini series. I notice the mini series does not have that many details in their clothing as the clone wars does.).
I was wondering would it be ok if I added some details that you don't see in the cartoon? And what should I do?
I was thinking embroidery since so many of her outfits have it. But were and what?
Or I can do this http://fallfordiy.com/blog/2013/08/19/diy-faux-agate/?pintix=1
or this
http://paroledepate.canalblog.com/archives/2011/05/16/21026713.html
on the pendants on the belt, the chest, the hair and the bun holders.
Thoughts?
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

If you are submitting this gown for approval I advise against embellishing the gown with anything that is not directly in the show.

When we judge a costume it is strictly based upon a side by side comparison of the original and the remake.

Has anyone else made this gown? If not then it is a Legion 1st and this is the gown that will be the shining star for every costume made after it. Smile
So you'll want to be extra certain that the gown is identical, also writing a detailed Work In Progress (which you seem to be doing) is so helpful! Very Happy
We are here to help! Cant wait to see your progress

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Alice has this dress

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! I think it's a very detailed and lovely gown

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you need some input...
...I never saw the bodice / corset part as being quilted.
Instead, I always saw it as interwoven strips of fabric of different colors.
That would be easy to accomplish with a firm base, over which - possibly on a dress mannequin! - bias-cut, finished "tunnels" of fabric are draped and pinned, then hand-sewn down from the backside.
The bias cut would allow for several things - first, the overlay would still be "moving" with the layer beneath it and second the bias-cut would make it extremely simple to weave the pattern around the curves of the body.

Just my opinion of course, but I thought it couldn't hurt to give some input ;-)
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly see the advantage of that, in that it would move really nicely around the corset. Down-side to that is that it would be a bit bulkier than piecing and quilting. It's really up to your personal preferences Tilsha.

I am excited to see you working on this rarely-done costume.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will not embellish it. Smile

As for the bodice I was going to make it the way I made the corset pattern. I Duck-taped myself then drew the lines then cut it off of me. I was planning something similar with the bodice top. I was going to put the corset on use cling wrap or a VERY think shirt, duck-tape or use masking tape I also heard works well and it's cheaper Wink . I was going to draw the "quilted" or squares what ever you want to call them in place then cut it all out. Oh and don't forget to number them with pictures Mr. Green that would suck trying to piece them together without a diagram. Shocked

Unfortunately I do not have a dress form were I am right now. I do have one (on the OTHER side of the country) but it's too big for me now it only goes down to a size 16 I am now a size 14. Anyways the hips have always been much bigger than what I have in life (I have more masculine hips. I am NOT an hour glass Razz ) and for this I need my hips accurate.

I will need tips, hints or ideas for the hair buns how to make them stay in. Leia Buns
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot one thing I am doing so I have the same fabric texture and look for everything I bought white fabric and am going to dye it the shades of purple. I also have not been able to find the correct shades so I feel I have more control this way and don't have to "settle".
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dying really is the best way to have a lot of control over your colors. Smile Make sure you do dye tests before dunking all of your fabric in though. I know I have messed up my first dye batch.... pretty much every time.

I'm really looking forward to see your progress on this. It's a lovely design and really under-done as a costume.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder on test batch.
I think it might be underdone is cause this dress has like 3 seconds of screen time and it's hard to catch all the details. I watched the part over and over again going slow motion and stopping to screen print every shot I could get.
The back you only ever get to see it from far back so it's kinda hard to get it.
Also not many seem to remember the mini series Razz I get a lot of Oh Ya's.
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo got some funds so now have my boning for my corset. So Sunday or monday the latest I plan on having it done. After this it should go by faster all's I need for sewing is the dye.
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your progress Very Happy
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my corset (finally got around to taking pics and posting it Mr. Green )

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/tilsha-rune/slideshow/

Thou I think I need to loose some weight cause I have a muffin top in the back over the top of the corset Razz makes it a little uncomfortable.
I also need to figure out a way to get that spaghetti stain out of it Mad No idea how it got there it was not there when I sewed that layer then when I went back a few weeks later it was there.

But other than that I am very pleased with it.
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So got the pattern done for the top of the dress. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of how I taped myself over my corset.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/tilsha-rune/Amidala%20purple%20dress%20cartoon/1004142119a_zps494963ba.jpg
http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b582/tilsha-rune/Amidala%20purple%20dress%20cartoon/1004142119_zpsd829d398.jpg

I will get started on the muslin mockup next weekend. I'm getting so exited it's starting to look like something. Very Happy

Oh I did mess up on my corset I made it too tall in the back and the underarms. My grandma reminded me of a corset I had that was in the back of her closet. So I didn't have the fix the other Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: