Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=babf475dab841b4cf2b2326ca008f39cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Smaller light saber for a Padawan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Kenobi ()
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Smaller light saber for a Padawan. Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

I am planning on putting together another costume for my son that will feature a saber ( Padawan costume from the Jedi academy )

He is nearly 10 so I am thinking about 60% the size of an adult saber ? It will be worn on the belt and at this stage of the planning, probably won't need internal electrics as I don't want the weight to be too much and also I see an issue with trying to fit the components into such a little hilt.

So my question is, does anyone know where I can have a smaller hilt commissioned that doesn't involve a 6 month wait in a que ?

( Not thrilled with going the Yoda hilt option as it is shorter but still quite thick and obviously, iconically Yoda's )

Appreciate any suggestions Smile

" Another happy landing "
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the "modular hilt system" (MHS) from the custom saber shop.

basically, you will select your own combination of pommels, emitters, and body sections, to create your own custom hilt.

there is a handy hilt designer, which lets you mix&match the parts, to plan the hilt 'on paper' before you order.
then you just order the parts, and assemble it yourself (read: screw them together) Wink

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Modular-Hilt-System-V1-C3.aspx

^^ try out the "Saber Builder" on this page and play around with the combinations.
(and/or, let your son do it -- so this way he feels like it is truly "his" saber -- a saber which he designed HIMSELF) Wink

cheers!

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Dimes (Jimeoin Murphy)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something at a smaller diameter the MHSV2 has begun rolling out at TCSS, not sure if all the required pieces have started coming through for a whole hilt but the diameter could be great for someone with smaller hands such as kids.

Other than that i'd imagine your best bet at finding an individual to commission would be heading over to the FX Saber forum and their mining colony section, then check out people's build logs for any free space.

Good luck with the search though Smile
Shay Kenobi ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt 60 and Jimeoin, thanks guys that's great advice. I'm off to TCSS then Very Happy

Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim at TCSS is great. I build my custom saber with parts from his shop. You can easily build a light weight saber. Even it it's full sized...the saber without the electronics and battery is still going to be super light weight. I think you will be very happy with one of those.
Shay Kenobi ()

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kev. I have been checking it out. He really has some great options Very Happy

Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put light and sound in this one for my son when he was about 9:

This one is just slightly longer than a Yoda Force FX, at about 8" long.

The electronics:

That is a Plecter Labs Crystal Shard board and is slightly larger than the Nano Biscotte from TCSS (same manufacturer).

Electronics can fit just about any size saber these days, so don't worry too much about not getting it in a small hilt. Wink

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: