Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90a8f68efe1d9e7815ac76d3ca6f9107Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Y Wing Pilot WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: ANH Y Wing Pilot WIP Reply with quote

here's my ANH Y wing pilot WIP thread. Ive been sourcing parts for a couple of years, starting with a Wilco! helmet.

I would also like the Judges input on my vest. It seems to me that the shoulder straps of my vest could be lengthened adding half an inch to the front and back spacing. The top rib of the vest is crunching up against my collar. The work coveralls are Dickies and are currently un-modified. Ive made a ton of modded coveralls so this is no bid deal for me to knock out.

I have adjusted my box neck strap lengh to bring the top of the box close to the top rib where the gap begins.Thanks to Droidwelder for sending me a longer section of webbing so I could drop it where I needed it.

ANH style Y wing

Back Panel

ESB style for my snowspeeder project

ESB style back

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Flakvest; WampaWear
Chestbox: Droidwelder
Commpad: OuterRimProductions
Belt with flares: OuterRimProductions
E-strap: OuterRimProductions
Code cylinders: Armonfire
leg Flares: Wampawear
Gloves: Wampawear
Boots: My TIE 501st boots

flightsuit: In work
Helmet: Wilco! , currently in paint

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Last edited by G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell) on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Killian (Andrew Marsh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Blackwatch undercover is coming along nicely. Was wondering when you were going to start showing it off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess Sandy ()
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice Dewka!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chest box looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing other pics Wink

If I were to be super critical, the only thing I might say from the pics you posted is...in some of the pics, the flak vest looks a bit small on you. This might be something the LCJs could be concerned with. I will see if I can get one of the Pilot LCJs to chime in here Wink
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. My body size goes up and down, im on a down trend again, so in time it should be proportional.

Honestly i think dropping it would fix a bit of the proportion aspect.

The box is one of Droidwelders,and i added a aviator hose. Super happy with how that came out.

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're exactly right.

In one pic, the strap for the chest box is below the flak vest, making it look too small. In another picture, this strap is on the flak vest, making it not look as "small".

Sometimes proportion of costume components can depend, or be influenced by, how we arrange the costume on our bodies. It's good getting help from someone when you dress...assuming (as in your case) the person helping knows what an X-wing pilot supposed to look like, lol

I primarily troop as a Jedi. People around me call me a Jedi Diva...because I spend LOTS of time tweaking, shifting, pulling tugging, primping when I get dressed!
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Thats avtualky by design. We really tried to keep the green bekt level at all times.
The first two photos are ANH, the last two are ESB where the vest is worn backwards.
Im the same when it comes to photos. People get very annoyed when i set them up for each photo.

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you, Sir!

I wished we had more people who helped compose pics!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also spend quite a bit of time adjusting my costume until I get it just right when I'm trooping. Razz

Your flak vest does look a little bit on the small side but I think that would be fixed by lengthening the shoulder straps. The front and back panels seem to sit up a little too high so if both of those were lowered down I think you'd be just fine.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the full frame of the detail you posted:

There's about an 1" between the collar, but it varies depending on the actor and if they are standing or sitting.

The back does sit lower than the front:

The chestbox does sit low enough so the strap passes under the vest, as you have noticed and adjusted yours to match - Well Done!

(RANT) I'd like to remove every instance of the phrase "Flak Vest". It's not armor nor is it a "vest". It is a copy of the "Upper Harness Assembly" from a 1960's pilot pressure suit prototype:

Notice that the black bands on the arms are NOT the elbows, but mid-upper arm. The elbow is below, where the three horizontal seams are (pleats to allow the arm to bend?). The garment stops near the armpit and does not extend into the shoulders. It's purpose is to keep the chest of the suit from ballooning out and hold the arms in via the metal shoulder rings. The few prototypes made were surplused and bought up by the costume rental houses. Two of them appear in a Tom Baker Dr. Who episode, and they appear, unmodified, in ANH and ESB

"Vest" is a misleading word, it starts to conjure up visions of "waistcoats". We've received submissions where it was so long and so low on the body the bottom actually started to flare out over the applicant's hips! (/RANT)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:

(RANT) I'd like to remove every instance of the phrase "Flak Vest". It's not armor nor is it a "vest". It is a copy of the "Upper Harness Assembly" from a 1960's pilot pressure suit prototype:

I think that, at least for the Star Wars idea of it, the idea of "vest" comes from things like safety vests, bulletproof vests and military flak vests. They're all called "vests" but aren't necessarily a vest per se. Technically, calling them a vest could be correct. Wikipedia defines a vest as "a vest is a sleeveless garment covering the upper body".

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great picture of the Welkin, shows off tremendous detail of the suit. If memory serves one of these suits is in the ultra high atmospheric ballon cabin at Pensacola NAS.
From looking at that, im going to go ahead and lower the chest. The back seems about right but i feel almost choked when i put it on, abd the upper tube bends.

Apppreciate the input!

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with my chest protector maker (maybe this is a truer term vs flak vest? ) and I will be getting new, longer straps.

currently my straps are 6 1/2" long. Ill be getting 9" straps so I can adjust as needed.

very happy with that!

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, everything the other two judges said is spot on. Vest is good, just needs to ride a tad lower to make it not look so small and tight.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straps are in, i just havent had time to install them.

I have also put in a lot of time working on my helmet. This is not the finished product, Im still working on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: