Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d03e4de3ef6c321068dd1453c50ad675Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mustafar tan sleeveless "WIP"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Mustafar tan sleeveless "WIP" Reply with quote

Ok, so the reason I call this a WIP in quotations is because I'm not making this costume from scratch, but rather making small changes to someone else's costume that I am buying from them. The two main concerns I have about this costume are the seam requirements on the bodice.

This is the requirement for the top: "1. Sleeveless tunic with a small V-neckline, a tall, round folded collar, fitted inverted V empire-waist bodice and a full flared skirt extending to nearly mid-thigh of a sandy taupe or mushroom suede or suedecloth."
The costume I'm buying does not have the inverted V seams, but instead just a straight seam down the front, as seen here: (sorry it's sideways!)

I know the seam is a requirement so my question is... what is the best way for me to fix this? Please keep any help simple, as I am not the best at sewing! Razz

The bottoms also do not come with the seams on the front and back of the pants, but those should be easy to put in. Can I just sew a stitch up the front and back to create the look of a seam, or should I pinch the inside of the leg and stitch it that way?

Thank you so much for your help!!! I look forward to submitting this soon! Mr. Green
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your image didn't link well, but here is how I would do it:

You are right about pinching from the back and sewing in seams for the legs. That would probably be the most natural-looking solution into fooling us that those are actual seams.

For the inverted-v seam, thanks to the pregnant belly, you have some extra room to work with in the front of the shirt. I would rip out the front of that seam that goes straight across then cut your pieces into the V-shapes and sew them back together. You'll loose a little bit of length, but since suede doesn't fray, you can get away with really narrow seams.

That is how I would do it, anyway. I hope that helps!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try viewing the picture via this link: http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/JimmyC_2010/ForSale/IMG_1741_zps519a5dac.jpg

I think your suggestion makes sense, but what do I do if, when I rip out the vertical seam, the top part becomes two pieces? How do I re-cut and re-seam it without having to put the middle seam back in? Does that make sense?

I'm sorry for being so difficult, but I really appreciate your help! Very Happy
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Don't rip apart the vertical seam, just rip the horizontal seam below the bust. Sorry for being confusing. That way, you're just cutting a bit off the top piece together.

KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok! Again, thank you for your help! Smile
My aunt is going to help me with these seam fixes, so hopefully she will understand better! Razz By my naive understanding, the vertical seam will still be there then. Is this ok or am I completely not getting it?

Like I said, hopefully my aunt - who does know how to sew! - be able to follow this better than I am.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, vertical seam stays there. Mr. Green

And don't put yourself down. It's really hard to explain this stuff in words. Smile I look forward to seeing the outcome!

KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Received my costume in the mail last week. There are a few sizing things I need to fix but the seams will be fixed on Wednesday. The belt needs some TLC but that won't be hard. Also the Naboo symbol was just a patch that was sewn on so I ripped that out and will paint a new symbol on the gauntlet instead (since I can't embroider). The only other thing I need is a wig; with the costume came the two buns and braid but I have a pixie cut so I need hair to attach the parts to! Razz

(The costume also included a pillow to make me look pregnant. I look really weird with it on! Razz )

I hope to submit it within a week or two max! Very Happy
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand sewed my naboo symbol. I drew it on with marker and went over it with thread. Only took maybe a half an hour? Might be an option for you Smile

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: