Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a9ef60a88a6b631fd13f39159724cc33Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Are Jedi costumes from commercial vendors okay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skywalker2B ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zark_T, and anyone else using a seamstress, I would recommend finding one local to yourself. If possible, find one that is familiar with the movies and the costumes. You'll want to make to sure to clarify EXACTLY what you want. Pictures, drawings, etc. are a great help. And stay in contact with the person to check the progress and any need for fittings. It's best to catch a need for a change before the costume is finished.

And please note that even doing all of the above will not guarantee that the final product will be perfect.

I had one vendor (long distance) tell me, after multiple attempts to communicate exactly what I wanted, that I just needed to learn to sew and make my own costume. So...I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew. I really think that is the best way to go.
Krash

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywalker2B wrote:
If possible, find one that is familiar with the movies and the costumes.

...and then RECRUIT them! (or marry them) Wink

Personally, can anyone tell me the difference between a private "vendor" and a RL member who takes on "commission" projects for other people?

Rachel did my (and later Snips' suit) MARK II Rebel Pilot flightsuit, based on the same pattern/fabrics she used on her and Jason's RL approved suits. Does that make her a vendor? (I've got her business card) or does that make her part of a local supply chain for RL?

For years, Rebel Legion has gone out of their way to discourage people from using private "vendors" -- while at the same time never (openly) providing a list of reliable members/vendors with the ability to take on "commission" projects that should (under fair circumstances) pass RL Costume Judges.

I'm all for people having Jedi costumes that fit their body properly; I (intentionally) styled mine after Qui-Gon to accommodate my "big and tall" frame. Yet, can we (at the very least) acknowledge there are people online who can produce RL approvable jedi costumes?
Zark_T (Zack)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Skywalker2B, my seamstress is local. Got lucky there
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoAnns Craft Stores teach sewing for beginners they will even provide a machine if you don't have one. For most costumes you just need to be able to sew a straight line and follow pattern directions which is what is taught in the beginning classes as well as terminology like bias, grain, etc.

United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to 2020
MEB Membership Officer & Tosche Temple Mistress Oct 2018 to present
UCGR - DXO 2015
Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krash wrote:
…Personally, can anyone tell me the difference between a private "vendor" and a RL member who takes on "commission" projects for other people?

Rachel did my (and later Snips' suit) MARK II Rebel Pilot flightsuit, based on the same pattern/fabrics she used on her and Jason's RL approved suits. Does that make her a vendor? (I've got her business card) or does that make her part of a local supply chain for RL?

Why is it necessary to discuss this? Maybe I have confused the issue for you by trying to categorize the vendors I mentioned. Some sell from ebay (a site where there are many sellers of merchandise), while others have a private site for only their products.

I make costumes and props for others. I have a business card. I do not make profit from these costume/props, and I do not make a living by making these items. I have a real job that gives me money to live. I do not, therefore, consider myself a vendor, private or otherwise.

Krash wrote:

For years, Rebel Legion has gone out of their way to discourage people from using private "vendors" -- while at the same time never (openly) providing a list of reliable members/vendors with the ability to take on "commission" projects that should (under fair circumstances) pass RL Costume Judges.

I wouldn’t say “discourage”. But we have seen many people order costumes from some vendors and get screwed. This post (and others) are trying to help people avoid these pitfalls.

And as all of our seasoned members should know, the Rebel Legion (or the 501st) should not and does not endorse any costume maker. We can’t guarantee a vendor is going to do a good job and make a costume that is guaranteed to be Rebel Legion approved.

I make resin Jedi pouches and sell them to anyone who wants them. These have been approved for face character Jedi….but the Rebel Legion cannot tell anyone that “SithariRog’s Jedi pouches are Rebel Legion approved”. That would simply be wrong.

Krash wrote:
…can we (at the very least) acknowledge there are people online who can produce RL approvable jedi costumes?

I believe I said that some of the vendors (mentioned in the OP) make good Jedi costumes, and some were even very good (I actually called one of the costumes “beautiful”). There’s another one that I’ll add (twinroses) who also does a good job. And there are yet more out there who make good costumes. The point of the thread is to help people understand that not all vendors make good costumes, and that they should do their research before spending money.

So….I believe that I did what you’re asking.
Dimes (Jimeoin Murphy)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a bit of personal experience:-

I have found that if you ask here on the forums, people will definitely chime in on any recommendations they have regarding vendors and their experiences. When I first asked here, a bunch of people recommended vendors for me to look into.

I bought my costume from an etsy vendor and it has definitely needed some modifications, I would say that no matter what vendor you buy from chances are you are going to have to change some things.

My tip would be to do your research as long as you can and learn about the process of making a costume. Then you can ask questions and see what vendors can do for you to improve the costume. Next I would say that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to costume buying.

Despite my tunic needing modifications my research and asking questions of vendors allowed me to buy a costume that had the potential to become approved (which I am still working on Razz).

It pretty much comes down to knowing what your buying, and this thread definitely helps people in getting started.

I guess what people who custom make their own are often trying to get at is that if you DIY your costume entirely than you know exactly what is going into your costume, and that it will work for YOU in terms of fit. DIY also means that you know all needs are being checked (as long as you are aware of what's needed.)

So in short I would say, know what your buying, and know what is needed if your looking for costume approval, therefore DO YOUR RESEARCH Very Happy
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advise, Jimeoin!

Thanks 😁
Krash

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Why is it necessary to discuss this? Maybe I have confused the issue for you by trying to categorize the vendors I mentioned.

I used my Rebel Pilot example because it was an example of how commissioning via a costume maker/vendor can work, without having to be officially endorsed by Rebel Legion.

If I was a NEW person (today) trying to join... I'd need Tom Hanks and an Illuminati map to try and navigate the layers of coded "this is NOT an endorsement" posts about one vendor/website over another; especially when it comes to face character Jedi (where it seems MOST of the focus is directed) vs your basic generic Jedi.

Quote:
I make resin Jedi pouches and sell them to anyone who wants them. These have been approved for face character Jedi….but the Rebel Legion cannot tell anyone that “SithariRog’s Jedi pouches are Rebel Legion approved”. That would simply be wrong.

I understand that a direct endorsement of a particular prop-maker would be wrong, and anyone who listens to the ever-shifting debate over which TK kits rise/fall out of favor with 501st can tell there's an element of self-interests involved.

In the case of your pouches, would a slight shift in rhetoric enhance the prospective member's understanding of the situation:

"SithariRog’s Jedi pouches are Rebel Legion approve-able"
* it does imply the pouches could work for generic jedi, but maybe not a specific face character.
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was undecided on whether to commission my Senatorial Leia dress, but I feel that the majority of RL members prefer that we make our costumes instead of buying.

I know my dress is far from perfect, but I believe I'm getting there...
Base Membership Officer 2017
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I wouldn't say that most RL members prefer people make their own costume. Of course, many people do not have the skills or the means to make their own.

So...the bottom line is, if someone is going to buy a costume (especially a face character), they need to work with their seamstress/tailor (who probably isn't a Star Wars fan...or at least not the degree of a RL member) to make sure they pay attention to detail so that they replicate a costume from source material...rather than make one that only resembles the desired costume.
Ste-Waz Sandoli ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one selling "Anakin's costume"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Anakin-Full-Costume-Rebel-Legion-Standards-/111203587036?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item19e44013dc

and here is the title of his selling :

Star Wars Anakin Full Costume Rebel Legion Standards

how on earth (& over the galaxy Wink) can he use the RL as a commercial argument ?
Ben Member of KJO - 2013-2014 Six Towers Jedi Temple Master ; Pilot Member of the RLSC - #7 in the Corellian Griffons Squadron ; Tuskin Member of the Wretched Hive ; rft Member of the RAID
rebelbird French Base Commanding Officer (2014-2018)
saber 2
aka Baron Waz - TI-16707 in the 501st
jonathansams (Jonathan Sams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for our Asian brothers and sisters in arms.....
从商业厂商绝地服好吗?

有人问我这个问题,至少每周两次......所以我认为这是审慎的做法是让这个主题的帖子。我的职位是一部分的个人意见,并从反叛军团会员总监一部分官方的说法......而且是当前绝地军团服装法官的意见。

虽然这个职位着重于绝地的服装,其基本思路或答案在这里适用的反叛军团的所有市售的服饰。

所以......从商业厂商绝地服好吗?底线......这要看情况。

有许多商业厂商,使绝地的服装,但一些比较常见的是有人问我的都是buyallhappy(易趣)kjaereliten(易趣),服装基地(易趣),customprops(EBAY)和Etsy的(私人网站)

一些我们这些服装见到典型的问题包括:

- 价格便宜,面料轻薄,可以看穿,根据颜色或内外长袍。这可以通过添加一个衬垫,这是不是非常困难的修复,但将花费更多的钱。

- 该服装不适合,这恰好为我们的非常小(瘦)或“加大小的”绝地。有趣的是,一些厂商谁使“定制”绝地的服装都没有说实话。他们使小型,中型,大型和特大型服装,然后......根据你的测量,将发送一关,应该最适合您的机架你。如果你很瘦或很胖,那么没有现成的架子服装看起来就在您的身体没有修改。

记住:以上几乎一切,古装需要适合你的身体。有服装成分基本测量(宽度,长度,形状等),但是...如果你的身体类型是用于这些测量的范围之外,那么这些组件需要适当大小。例如:人们普遍商定的(内部/宽)绝地带是2.25至不足120磅的体重,那么你可能需要一个带是薄看的权利“宽如果您未满5'5”。或者,如果你超过6'3“和/或重量超过225磅(基本上,如果你的腰围超过50大”),你可能需要一个更广泛的带看的权利。

- 该外中山装的边缘部分也形成接头和/或太短......这几乎是不可能解决的,因为你需要更多的纤维。许多厂商都使用了基本的“鬼节”服饰图案的绝地,这是不准确的画面。即使是人们所追求的简约4450模式是不准确的画面。这就是为什么我修改了一个简单4450模式是屏幕准确OWK和贴吧的教程,以供他人使用(因为这种模式不再可用)。又一天,这个特殊的教程有超过45,600的看法。

- 这徽章是由直线,然后没有一些努力不挂权利。对于许多人来说,“Y”形战袍挂最好的。

另一方面...

我们何曾见过有人把这些市售的绝地服饰开箱即用的之一,穿上它,让图片和他们没有批准修改?是。不过,这通常不会发生,而且......如果你买这些服装之一,不要惊慌,如果你必须做一些器官功能障碍综合征的反叛军团的批准。

拇指的基本规则应该是:如果你可以从任何前传电影的站在旁边OWK,阿纳金或温杜,和你的服装同样是惊人的,那么你没事。如果不是的话,那么......好吧,你有一些器官功能障碍综合征之作。

以下是这些厂商的一些照片,有一些意见。这些意见都是我个人的看法,在这里我是很为关键的:

buyallhappy(易趣)

这套服装是标榜一个欧比 - 旺·克诺比ROTS服装。正如你所看到的,这是接近屏幕准确的OWK ROTS任何地方。服装可能不是坏了通用的绝地,但......要知道,这是一个超级便宜的服装。

此图片显示的外中山装衬,这是显示。这将不会通过审批的反叛军团。此外,相对于OWK ROTS,该材料不是褶皱纱布型织物。

和他们的长袍是可怕的。长袍太短,几乎没有足够充分和发动机罩太小。

CostumeBase(易趣)

这套服装是标榜为阿纳金ROTS。正如你所看到的,黑色皮革战袍,独自一人,不会让这件衣服被批准而无需修改。还有其他的问题,这件衣服。这可能是没关系通用绝地,假设它适合佩戴者。

这里有袋和腰带,有了这种服装。这条腰带,包包是不是屏幕准确,没有被批准用于面部字符绝地。

像上面的长袍,设计是完全错误的,发动机罩和长袍是不是足够充分,它是太短了。

CustomProps(私人供应商)

自定义道具实际上做根据你的测量使服装和他们做了非常好的工作。但与他们的阿纳金腐烂的服装有一个严重的问题......看到下一张图片...

该面料更是一个灯芯绒类面料的,而不是皱纹guaze。这确实是一个美丽的服装,但反叛军团和第501目前尚不接受的基础上,该面料的服装。它可用于通用绝地?可悲的是,没有...因为根据手套的手外中山装套管安装。通用绝地不能使用阿纳金手套,所以......整个袖子将需要重拍...这是不现实的。然而,知道这一点,你可以有customprops让你一个“阿纳金”式服装的两个完整的外外衣的袖子。但是......你也花费超过500美元这个乐团。

这是通过customprops标榜为“绝地”。看缎面内衬型的细节。一个很漂亮的服装。

kjaereliten(易趣)

下面是从kjaereliten两个选择。好看的服饰。看一看在底部图片...面料较为平淡,并不能代表种面料出现在电影中。我会说,凯利短信给我,向我保证,她不会让这些服装以适应(基于测量),并没有什么事是“现成的”。而凯利也使得在一个好点的服装的成本是根据织物。最便宜的面料可能会更“纯”,而更昂贵的面料(或带衬垫的服装)将花费更多。

Etsy的(私人供应商)

Etsy的提供了许多不同的风格。这些服装是(大部分)制作精良(但一定要先看下图)。本站的服装并不十分昂贵,而且我们有伙计,从这里买那些最终被批准入会。有些服饰标榜面部字符。谨防广告人面对人物的服饰。

另一名来自Etsy的。请注意薄料的外中山装让较暗内中山装显现出来。提交此服装需要在外部中山装加入衬垫它被批准的反叛军团。

另外,Etsy的网站上,它说:
“我做这些服饰的反叛军团和第501个成员的严重的costumers试图加入这些俱乐部的复制品......”

这并不意味着,从这个供应商所做的服装将由反叛军团和第501个批准。没有人能够做到这一点!反叛军团(也不是501)不支持任何厂商(甚至不是我们自己的成员(像我一样),谁做的习惯,准确地筛选道具和服装)...时期。

所以,请注意任何人告诉你他们的服装都是“批准的反叛军团”。只是因为你买他们的服装之一,并不能保证你穿着他们的服装,会被批准入会。

我希望这揭示了购买服装从商业供应商的一些情况。

与往常一样,请随时PM我你的任何问题。

前任职务:助理。改性活生物体,军团服装法官,DCO KJO,BCO宁静海基地

I couldn't find out how to put the pics in, after the translation, sorry
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Jonathan! Smile

I'll copy and paste this into the first or second post Very Happy

edited to add - added to first page, third post down Smile
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
Zren Tobas ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. This makes me want to stay away from those vendors in the future then. Twin Roses for everything, main costume pieces anyway. They're great quality I think
Mousetrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new set being made by kjaereliten right now in the proper linen fabric and I will post pics when it arrives. I have been trooping a generic jedi made by her in broadcloth cotton for more than 6 years and it still looks excellent. She does good work that much is for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: