Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a25219022b2b9e79298dd23f495e4c7eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Hangar Trooper Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Hoth Hangar Trooper Build Reply with quote

So I did a quick build of a Hoth jumpsuit for a May the 4th event at the Bakersfield Museum of Art last weekend and wanted to make an official build thread for the costume.

I only started on the jumpsuit and wore my husband's old hat and gloves at 'half dress' since it was hot. I made my jumpsuit out of his old one since the original doesn't fit him anymore. Here is the original costume.

Here are some photos of what I have done so far:

Pattern and original materials...

Construction photos...

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the semi-final product. I didn't put and closures on the sleeves or neckband. The sleeves need to be longer and larger and I need to adjust the shoulder and sleeve area. I also need to add a placket and a zipper to the center front. The pants also need hemming...

The jumpsuit is a warm toned neutral tan that has a strong gray tone compared to a natural muslin. It is canvas. I use paint swatches to try to match colors when I do most projects, but I got this fabric awhile ago and the best approximation I could find on my computer was somewhere between Sherwin William's Muslin and Natural Choice (http://www.thecreativityexchange.com/2013/05/guest-color-palette-jenny-from-evolution-of-style.html).

Please let me know if this is a good choice to use color-wise. I tried to match what I saw onscreen, as I just didn't see the blue tinted gray in the reference photos or the movie. Also please let me know if there is anything in the design of the jumpsuit I should change. I have enough material to make new sleeves and I might be able to squeeze out the sleeve gusset. I added the bag pocket to my jumpsuit at the waist (the original one I made didn't have one) and I adjusted the size of the pockets versus what had been listed in Phyllis' tutorials to better fit the scale of my pattern. I'm rather short at only 5'4", so it was harder to keep larger pockets.

The boots were a last minute purchase. I wouldn't use them, but it's summer and I'll have to wait until fall/winter to find better ones. Here is what I wore with the San Joaquin Valley Squad of the 501st...

The whole album is here- http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/PernillaPalpatine/library/Hoth%20Trooper

I want to keep the scarf and the goggles. The goggles need a plain band though. I want to use the same fabric as the original to make the vest. I know the vest needs a pocket flap.

Please let me know what you think. All constructive criticism is appreciated. I have a lot of sewing and costuming experience and am aiming to produce something that looks professional.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to move forward with this project, but I need some feedback- is the color acceptable? Is the design okay? Is there a LCJ who can help or someone else with one of these costumes? Thanks. I've been checking all month for a reply and was sad to see none. Sad
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get one of the Costume Judges to weigh in on this topic?

Winter is Coming
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't see this sooner....

as far as the jumpsuit...

quite honestly...I never recommend colors by looking at any kind of swatch on the internet or any other place for that matter...
gray can look like tan and vice versa and what you actually received often looks far different from what was pictured....

If you want to PM me with your address, I can send you actual swatches of fabric from the Hoth Trooper...

judging by the vest and jumpsuit..you are doing the Hangar Trooper and not the Trench Trooper...

I can tell you for absolute certainty that the jumpsuit is gray and not tan in color...
I got this information from one of the actors who actually wore the costume during filming...

so...
the jumpsuit is gray
and
the vest is tan...

here is the actor in his costume:

here is a photo of the vest I made...if that helps any

Here is the completed costume:

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I wore this again today and am definitely going to start over so I can fix the sleeves. I think the color is wrong for this one, but that's okay. I need more arm room! I'm also going to try a new pattern based on a vintage one suggested on one of the 501st boards (a 70s body suit vs pajamas). At least with this one I learned how to line the pockets and do the closures so they lie nice and flat. I'm also getting the new SW costuming book so hopefully that will help. From the photos, the vest fabric is a close match to the photos.

Thanks for the input. I hope I don't come off as impatient or rude, sometimes I can get a bit too serious. Smile Will post more soon... hopefully!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa how is your progress coming?
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the new Star Wars Costume book the jumpsuits are said to be Tan...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see some rewrites coming
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out the Hoth costumes were a LOT different than previously though.

the coveralls were tan and had rank badges on the right shoulder.

tthere are no pockets on the vest. Hoth TROOPERS (Trench trooper hat and Mucks) definitely were quilted and this is clear as they ran through the facility.

the vest does not seem to be copy of the luke vest since none of my behind the scenes shots of Lukes vest show quilting.

here are some images from page 88 of the new costume book. In time the standards will be revised to reflect what the book shows.

inverted color image to show lines, quilting pockets....or lack thereof....
What was once though to to be quilting is wrinkle shadows.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did remove the quilting from the pocket flaps on my vest...

a little time consuming...
but not bad...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: