Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9a16100f05526b514a1d95350218b71eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Shay's General Kenobi W.I.P
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handplates are white EVA. I'm not sure what you use to fill gaps in the ABS, but after a coat of watered down white glue I was able to apply resin/bondo to the EVA. That'd let you get a nice clean edge, though you'd lose most of the padding of the foam. Also, the resin doesn't eat the foam like quite a few sources say, but when I tested without the glue wash the resin didn't adhere well and peeled off in one sheet.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great information to have, thanks Nick. I was hoping to, very accurately secure the EVA to the absolute edge of the ABS so it provides a smooth edge. I would then dry brush a little weathering on the EVA to break up its super clean look so it all appears as the one piece of armour. As with most things though, I won’t know for sure until I test it. That part is a little bit down the track for me at this stage.

One element of this that I know already to be a headache is the cutting out of the EVA without leaving “scalloping” or cut marks. It will need to be perfectly smooth like marble or well…. Armour!

Straight lines will cut beautifully smooth with a sharp Stanley knife ( box cutter ) but anything requiring a curved cut ( like the shoulder bells ) will be another challenge. I have a few ideas but still pondering this one.

" Another happy landing "
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My box of armour is here – very exciting. Let’s see what we have..

This is the armour that I will be basing my General Kenobi on. It is from Imperial Surplus. I’ve lucked out here twice.

Kevin doesn’t do the whole set of Obi Wan armour, but he DOES do correct forearms and handplates for this character. I asked Kevin if he could get this armour to me quickly as I had a few weeks off work and really wanted to use it constructively. Even though Kev was very busy with other things, he sent it out in record time. Not only that but he gave me a set of clone forearm armour as well to compare. Thank you Kevin. You are a real Gentleman.

The Obi Wan handplates that you can see in the top left differ from the Clones as they are flat, without the ridge down the middle.

The forearms top of picture are the ones for Obi. You can see, comparing them with the ones below, that they are not as tapered near the wrist and the “cross” section designed into the piece, is square whereas the Clone “cross” is tapered.

Of course this means I have to modify the biceps by cutting out a “square” section for the forearms as opposed to the tapered slot of the clone bicep armour. Like this..

LOWER LEG ARMOUR

The first piece I’m going to tackle modifying is the leg armour. Obi Wan’s Leg armour is very different to the Clones. You can see from this pic that that the front section of the armour has this triangle panel type section on the front and the “Ridge” in the armour runs all the way down the front.

If the shot of my current leg armour isn’t clear enough, here is a ref photo of a Clone…

You can see the front of his armour is flat and rectangular where Obi's is triangular and the ridge only begins from around 6 inches below the black line.

The final difference is a little more subtle. The trailing edge on the Jedi armour slants rearward, like this..

While the Clone armour has a forward slanting aft section like this..

Tomorrow I will start the modification.

Last edited by Shay Kenobi () on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I notice about Kenobi’s “look” is the slimness.

The Clones are strong, solid units and their armour looks chunky. Obi Wan has this longer, thinner appearance.

I just don’t want the armour to look too wide front on. So I ran a heat gun up and down the inside and gently “crimped” it. It was just a small squeeze with my hand whilst the “spine” was warmed. The result is a slightly slimmer look to the lower leg. You can compare the before and after here,

Now I’m going back to the graph paper to draw the new section.

I think this looks about right….

Then I transfered that to some cardboard and bended it to the right shape.

Taping to the armour to check the look.

OK I’ve been thinking about something here. As you can see Obi Wan's armour ( the very top part ) is a little shorter than the standard clone armour. Well the lower leg armour was already a little bit short for my leg and now to shorten it even more has me worried. When I check it against my leg, its just a little over my knee. I definitely don’t want it to look like it’s too short as I will loose that long slim look I spoke about before. I know Obi's IS shorter then the clones but this will end up too short.

I’m going to quickly redraw another one that is the Obi shape but the same length as the original Clone armour.

OK..

This one is just another inch or so longer to fit me better but hopefully it won’t compromise the look. Before I cut it in ABS what does everyone think?

Would this still look OK ?

rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new knee cap, specifically the second version. I certainly sympathize with trying to match proportions of a CW character with a real costume. Smile I think it's important to focus on what it looks like on you rather than strictly the character reference.

For the lower leg, I think the "best case" would be to use the first kneecap you have, but stretch the lower section to maintain the total length, or possibly make it a bit longer if you said it was short on you already. Now, that's an incredible amount of work that would yield very little benefit to the overall costume... so, absent that, I say go with the second knee to give the right shape/feel even if the proportions don't match the reference 100%. Very Happy
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Nick, I really appreciate it. Smile

It's a good idea but unfortunately I can't extend the bottom section of the knee cap because the sections that extend outwards, need to line up with the top "lip" of the armour that forms the top of the "boot". OMG does that make any sense Laughing I hope you know what I mean.

I think you are right, correct proportion for the wearer is important. I dont think that the little bit higher knee cap will be obvious but if the armour was too short, it probably would be.

I'll hang off just a bit to think about it , but I am leaning toward the new ( second ) version.

Thanks again Wink

Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slightly longer knee section is what I am deciding to move forward with.

I cut the pattern out of ABS and then a groove around the bottom section which will eventually be painted out black.

Flip the piece over and in the appropriate “ Y “ pattern score the plastic carefully. Only about half way through the ABS. Anymore and it will just snap when you bend it. Now just very carefully bend it till you get what you think is about the right angle.

Now I need to bend the sections that extend out horizontally to line up with the natural curve of the original piece.

I will be gluing this piece in place eventually but need it to be fairly close to the shape of the original as I don’t want too much pressure or resistance being put on the join ( If that makes sense )

I just use a curved surface and a heat gun and very slowly heat and “encourage” Wink

It’s important not to heat it too much as you will get a crease in the ABS if you let it get too soft. If you haven’t done it before, under-heat it and just do it carefully. It will take a little longer but less likely to ruin the piece.

Here is one for the blooper reel, but this is what happens if you look away for even 3 or 4 seconds while heating. Nooooooo Laughing

Then after achieving a curve in the horizontal sections, I wrap it around a pipe and tape it down , hoping this will give it the final shape I need after a day or so.

In the meantime, I have cut out the section that I will be replacing from the original leg piece.

The next thing I can do while waiting is start construction of the final piece that is needed for the modification. It’s this little bit in here that is the difference between the flat triangular section of the clone armour and the “ridged” section of the Jedi’s.

Back to a big sheet of ABS and the task of drawing lots of little Triangles : )

Cut them all out, and then, arranging them correctly, glue each successive triangle with some Devcon and clamp it to set.

And Waa lah ! …. My own little Star Destroyer. Very Happy

It all looks fairly rough, but once in place, it will be covered in even more Devcon and then everything will be sanded back to get it smooth and blended to the existing section to form the ridge of Obi’s armour and the accurate shape.

Phewww. Time for a break…. Wink

Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modified pieces now have a nice curve to them and have been glued into place.

The second part to Devcon into place is my little Star Destroyer. Again , looks rough but all of the gaps and over lapping ABS will be covered in Devcon and sanded to look smooth and blended.

There is a LOT of sanding to get this smooth !

Every time I thought it was about right, I would notice something that needed more sanding. I smeared the surface again with a finer putty and kept sanding. This process was repeated 4 or 5 times.
1138 hours of sanding later and I think I am done,

Ok now for some work on the back part of the leg armour.

Sizing the leg now to fit me correctly, I need to take some of the excess plastic out of the rear piece.
Intially I thought this would be straight forward but now realise that where it meets the front section has changed shape.
To cut out the amount I needed as well as making it line up correctly with the new front section, I could only think to trace what it needed to look like on paper. Like this…

I then cut out the shape in worbla

I did that for left and right side of both legs

Then I used this template to trace the outline on the inside of each leg. I cut out that shape and it all seemed to line up pretty well.

This piece of sharpened steele that looks like a shiv given to me by “Bubba” my cell mate, takes the edge off the armour leaving a nice bevel and a closer, neater join when glued to the front section

Time to join the front section to the rear section.

I must admit, I wasn’t aware of this product before starting this project ( do you guys know about this ? ) You need to clamp things together very tightly and then apply this substance to the join. Its an odd liquid , a bit like petrol (gasoline) if it spills on your hand, it just evaporates. It works by finding its way between the two tightly joined surfaces and melts both pieces together to form one. You now literally have one piece of ABS rather then two. It can never come apart. Sorry if this is common knowledge, I just thought it was really cool, especially considering if you spill it on yourself, nothing happens.

The key is having the two pieces REALLY tight. Hence the clamps and the world’s biggest magnet. I needed that section of the join held securely. I couldn’t get a clamp in that far so used the super-sized magnets.

Pretty happy with how it’s taking shape. I’ll let that do its thing before I clean it up and start the painting.

Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready for painting.
More Zinsser undercoat,

3 or 4 coats of acrylic lacquer with sanding in-between
each coat and I think we are done

Just like the chest armour, the legs still need the white EVA to give the armour the thickness and the final detailing and weathering applied.
There has been a far bit of work in creating a Clone Wars set of leg armour for OW but I am fairly happy with the result. Do they look about right ?

Ixam Let'si ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, this WIP is amazing. Love the way you succinctly yet detailing all the processes both work and mental into this wip, once you finish I'm going to request that this be made a tutorial on how to convert a clone into general kenobi armour.
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m very flattered, thank you Max and thank you for the support , I really appreciate it Very Happy

Ixam Let'si ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
I’m very flattered, thank you Max and thank you for the support , I really appreciate it Very Happy

With WIPs like this the Pleasure is Literally all mine.
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I'm just about to put the next section of this build up but have a question for the brains trust.

I have been experimenting with different glues to secure the EVA foam ( polyethylene ?? ) to the ABS plastic. This is the method I am using to give the armour the appearance of thickness.

I glued some EVA to the ABS about 2 months back to see how it performed over time. I used " Loctite's" super glue. I wouldnt say it was an abject failure, in fact, it did a pretty good job, but a couple of months down the track and it has eaten into the EVA somewhat.

Does anyone have experience gluing these two materials together ?

If someone has a success story or could recommend an adhesive that bonds really well but doesn't react with the foam, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks very much everyone,

Cheers Very Happy

jedimastermolina (Alan)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding !!!! Most Impressive Mate Most ... Impressive

KJO DXO / LCJ Legion Costume Judge /
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've usually seen hot glue used with EVA... seems like it'd be worth a test at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: