Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a53786703da470ca928f6dac2444b6deMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Battle Arena outfit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Battle Arena outfit Reply with quote

I am currently (trying) to save up for a battle arena outfit that Padme wears in the 2nd movie. While browsing around on the costume standards, I wondered if it would be more financially smart to make the soft parts myself.

Does anyone know of a good pattern to start with for the top? I'm sure I would have to adapt any pattern to include the topstitching requirements, but I just want to know where a good place to start would be.

Whether I make the costume or buy it, I plan to get the hard parts from Mosi, and I already have links to how to do my hair (should be a good challenge, since I have a pixie cut! Razz ). I am just exploring options for the soft parts.

Thanks!
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the most knowledgeable about sewing either...

What exactly is topstitching? Can anyone explain that to me?
Would I be able to make the shirt and pants first and then put the topstitching in or do I have to do that as I'm sewing the parts?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any immediate suggestions myself for patterns for the top, but I do know it's a tricky one with bizzare seaming. However, there is a lot of good information in this thread here.

As to top-stitching, check out this image: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/white/dtg2.jpg (copy and paste)

Top-stitching is exactly what it sounds like: stitches visible from the top. If you look at the side seam on her shirt, you'll see that it's just a seam between two pieces of fabric. By contrast, the seam across the chest as well as down the arm have two rows of decorative stitches on top of the fabric. While some commercial sewing machines can produce that while putting pieces together, it will probably be easiest for you to piece together the shirt normally and then go back over it with your machine to add the decorative top stitching.

I hope that helps!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jenna, that does help!

Unfortunately, some financial things have come up and I think I have to put this endeavor on hold for now. However, I will have a lot of information to come back to! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: