Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d23dafc9cf7c1aec604594f7606f68fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senator Amidala "This is how liberty dies" purple
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Senator Amidala "This is how liberty dies" purple Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
time to reveal a bit of a secret.
Months ago (as you will see from the timestamps), I asked a question about a "surprise costume" for CEII on the costume judges forum.

This is how that thread went (with just the most important postings by me, really), and what the outcome of the thread was:

Quote:
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Post subject: Opinions on 'surprise costume' for CEII?

Hi fellow judges,

as you may know, Celebration Europe happens to be next year; and on top of that, it's just 20 minutes away from my home. YAY!

Now... everyone *here* (as in, German Base Yavin) knows that I'm going to make Padmé's Travel gown and Red Invasion, and maybe have plans to add Breha Organa to that collection of CEII costumes.

However, I'd like to have ONE more "surprise" costume - one that doesn't require a restricting large headdress or a gazillion yards (and pounds!) of fabric *and* which I can (mostly) make with fabrics I already have at hand.

That leaves just two:
This one and this one.

Both are considerably rare in terms of reproductions; particularly the first.
For the first however I'd have to either go through quilting hell or try and acquire one of the Vera Wang "Very Vera" quilted floral bedspreads for the underdress, which, unfortunately, is only obtainable on Ebay auctions since it's no more officially sold.

For the second I'd have to etch two yards of silk velvet to achieve the correct skirt pattern; but I already have the silk / rayon velvet, the etching fluid AND the dye - I'd only have to get three yards of faux suede leather.

For both I could use my own, waist long hair for the hairdo, which is a pro. And as for the second, I just LOVE that "Rebel Legion" type of hairclip.

Both however are only recognizable by Star Wars geeks.

Which one should I make? Thanks in advance for your opinions :-)

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Well the second one would require much less work.
The first needs the quilted underdress (which will either take me two weeks of quilting or an expensive quilted bedspread...), the embroideries and the beading on collar and cuffs. Plus there's that 'headband' thingie; but I guess I could pull that off too.
The second just needs the etched silk / rayon velvet and a bit of painting (for the motifs on the front panel and the short 'cloak' - those aren't etched but painted). Of course I'd also need to make that hair clip / ornament but that's simple.
In short terms, the second one is easier but the first one is even more "rare" than the second.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Schph Gochi wrote:
taking it in another direction...
how about a Trooper costume?
Now that would probably surprise your Base mates big time...

And how, since they know me as the 'dress' girl!

But no; I've made an Endor Leia when ROTJ came out (yes, 1983. I was 12 years old! And yes, I do have pics somewhere but don't know where. If I ever find them, I'll post them!), but now I'm more into the big dresses. My son calls me 'Mummydala' ("Mamidala" in German). Can't get away from that course Wink

Anyway, I was totally bored last night and made these templates:

for burning out the silk velvet for the skirt. Pattern should be mostly accurate from what I can see from the exhibit photos - of course the templates are mirrored because I'm burning out the silk velvet from the backside.

So... tonight I'll start burning out the silk velvet for the purple senate skirt.

Would anyone mind if I'd post my progress here so I can later copy those postings over to the Royalty / Senatorial forum when it's time for CEII? It would be easier for me to document my work like that.
Also, of course, I'd love to have the dress approved in time for CEII (to be exact: if possible, exactly on July 26th 2013), and maybe a build thread helps to see what exactly I did and how I did it.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 am

I burned out the first of four skirt pieces (one of the two smaller side pieces).
This is what it looks like compared to the original:

Granted, I missed some of the fine lines.
Or rather, I didn't miss them but my burnout fluid spread over them so they were removed too - that's clearly a painting problem which I wouldn't have if I would screen print the burnout fluid to the fabric.
That, however, would require a large screen printing frame which I don't have - but I have brushes, a template and time (of which particularly the latter is relevant - painting the burnout fluid to even that smaller piece of the skirt fabric took two hours).
I still think it's pretty close to the original velvet pattern; particularly if you wouldn't have a side by side comparison with the original gown.
Note that I'm just burning out what I need (plus approximately four inches towards the top). Since the top part of the skirt will be forever hidden beneath the faux suede overdress, I don't see any point in burning out the full amount of fabric up to the waist of the skirt.

Three more pieces to burn out for the skirt...

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:24 pm

...ten hours of painiting and two hours of ironing later, I've finished burning out ALL THE THINGS, pardon, skirt pieces (and now I've REALLY had my share of burnout fumes for this year!) - which I have just pinned over my Elizabethan farthingale in this image to see if they look correct:

Now on to pleating the scarf and developing patterns for 'cape' and 'front panel'.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 am

Schph Gochi wrote:
"Burned out" on burning out...

You bet! Those fumes are really nasty; particularly when ironing that stuff.

More progress; let's call it the 'dye odyssey':

As for the dye of the white silk velvet, I planned to do that in two steps.
First, I dyed all required silk velvet pieces (cape, long center front piece, skirt pieces and some additional pieces reserved for the piping of the sleeves and collar of the overdress) together with some cotton twill and cotton-rayon satin (both for lining and stabilizing) in a dye bath that consisted of three different colors:
Navy blue, purple and cobalt blue - the precise dyes I used were "Simplicol Echtfarben 1553-Marineblau (1/2 package), 1504 - Lila (1 package) and 1520 - Kobaltblau (1 package)".
Note that those are German brand dyes. They're supposed to not dye silk well; but they DO work well on rayon, cotton and linen.
After that first dye bath, I dyed the burned out skirt pieces again - in Simplicol Textilfarbe 2617 - Pink. That particular dye does dye silk very well.
Since the silk backing of the burned out velvet had taken up a lighter shade of blueish purple than the rayon pile in the previous dye bath (with the other fabric dye), overdyeing it with pink silk dye desulted in a dark magenta shade for the silk backing.

And yeah, the navy dye in that mix turned out to be a mistake - the fabric was WAY too dark after that.

So I bleached it carefully - just a bit! - and after that, it was lighter than before. Right shade, but wrong color.

A second dye bath - lavender for just the skirt parts; cobalt blue just for cloak / panel / piping parts - brought almost the correct color for the skirt (maybe a shade too dark; but I guess I can live with that!), but on the panel / cape parts, it became way too blue.

See my dye odyssey summarized in this picture (click to enlarge!):

And just for the records - silk velvet looks different if photographed with (or without!) flash.
That explains the difference of what we see in the promotional pictures (where the dress seems VERY dark!) - those were taken without a flash - and the exhibit photos, where it seems much lighter (those were taken WITH a flashlight).
Just because pictures show it better than words, here's mine - one picture taken with flash, the other without:

So what I'll do now is to sew up the skirt, while dyeing the silk velvet for the cape / panel part yet again - this time with a small amout of red dye. That, together with the very blue color it already has, should result in a purplish color.

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Skirt finished and photographed under various light conditions (click to enlarge):

Funny thing is, the ‘see through’ part of the burned out fabric looks way more purple in person – like in the first of these photos.
Also, the ‘lining fabric’, which is also visible at the ‘top’ portion of the skirt, is more blue than pink in person. This just proves that irridescent fabrics don’t photograph well, no matter what light conditions.

I also made my master for the brooch.

First I made the brooch from pressed metal.
To do so I, well, pressed sheet metal using a tool with a ballpoint and a printed template of the original brooch.

I then filled the inside of the resulting ‘metal mold’ with epoxy resin.
Here’s a trick to exactly know how much epoxy resin you’ll need when working with such rather small molds: Pour water into your mold until it’s filled the way it should be filled with epoxy. Then measure the amount of water (in my case that was 5.5ml). Afterwards I mixed precisely that amount of epoxy resin from resin and hardener and poured it into the mold.
Result: No epoxy resin wasted, mold perfectly filled Smile

After the epoxy resin had cured (and after that, half an hour in the freezer) I could peel the cured epoxy resin from the sheet metal mold without problems.
The mold, on the other hand, was completely destroyed in that process.

Here’s the resulting ‘positive’ epoxy brooch next to the destroyed mold.
The epoxy brooch needs sanding since the sheet metal mold’s borders didn’t go up vertically.

Here’s the sanded epoxy brooch.
This will be my master in the following steps, when I will make another mold using this master and mold silicone (for which I'm currently waiting - it's in the mail).

Since I'm now waiting for the mold silicone, don't have the dye for the 'too blue' velvet at hand and the skirt is finished, I'll now make the hairclip (for which I do have all materials at hand).

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I have made a silicone mold from my 'brooch master' by now and am slowly but surely (one per day since the epoxy resin I'm using for this takes 24 hours to cure...) making the brooch shapes:

Also I made the hair ornament - for that I cut, carved and sanded three very thin sheets (In order: 2mm, 3mm and another 2mm) of polystyrene which I then stacked / glued on top of each other and sealed with epoxy resin.
Couldn't resist to try it on even if it's not painted yet and even if the two hair clips that I'll glue to it aren't attached yet - excuse the hair mess; it was really just a quick try on:

It's super light (approximately 20 grams / 0.7 oz right now!) and I'm loving it to bits.
Note that the dark 'line' you see isn't a gap within the ornament, it's a layer of epoxy-drenched taffeta (!) between the polystyrene layers to stabilize them. This won't be visible any more once I've painted the headdress.

Happy Christmas! Mr. Green

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:36 am

During the past days I made quite a bit of progress: I finished my brooches (except for the pins on them), I carved a printing block from styrofoam and printed the border print on the velvet cape / tabard and I hand-pleated 90 pleats (!) with a total length of almost 150 yards (all pleats together), heat-set them to the silk taffeta, and...
....this is how far I got during those days. Note that everything but the skirt is just pinned in place; velvet parts aren't hemmed or anything like that - even the brooch is balancing on the tips of two pinning needles:

Tomorrow I'll make the overdress and sew the velvet parts together.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I just remembered that I haven't posted here for a while.
Well...

Here's a picture showing the finished skirt, overdress, cape, tabard and pleated decorations:

As you can probably see, I've finished pretty much everything (except for what I'll list below) by now.

Also, a closeup of the finished center brooch.

What I still need to do is to hand-sew the pleats on the shoulders in place so that pleated drape 'puffs' more. Also I need to add the buttons to the sleeve cuffs. Last not least, I need to glue brooch needles to the two smaller brooches (this is why you don't see them in the picture) and to the hair decoration thingie - things that I couldn't do because I ran out of epoxy resin; which I will buy tomorrow.
And of course I need to make a matching handbag.

By the way, I was SUPER STUPID. There I was, thinking for weeks which rare costume I could make as a surprise at least possible cost....
...and about a week ago it dawned me that I still have a FULL BOLT of the original burn out flame silk / rayon velvet by SilkConnection for the purple Senate gown (which has been in my storage for TEN YEARS now!).
So, I COULD have made that one as well. Grrrr! *lol*

(and that was when I started making the Loyalist Committee gown too, lol.)

So... tomorrow I'll wear the costume for CEII. Also, my son will wear his Bail Organa costume from the very same movie scene; and my dad will be the "Red Emperor Palpatine", ALSO from that scene.
I just hope people will like our little "Last Senate" group..... Of which I will of course post photos Smile
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of me wearing the costume at CEII, some together with my son as Bail Organa and my dad as Red Emperor Palpatine.
Unfortunately, because of the heat which basically dissolved my hairspray, I had a VERY bad hair day so the photos aren't nearly good enough to send them in for approval of the dress. I hope to be able to take new photos over the next week.

Last edited by Naergi () on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! Amadalia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:
Fabulous! Amadalia

Thank you :-)

A few things are really important if you want to accurately reproduce the look of the movie costume:

The 'shawl' which runs around the shoulders (and hangs down at the front) has to be *pleated* with even pleats, not just length-wise crushed.
I ironed 90 even pleats (=180 "folds" since each pleat is two "folds"...) into the silk taffeta which I used for the shawl pieces (on my dress, those are three pieces - two that hang down; one going around the shoulders), then fixated them by actually boiling the pleated silk taffeta.
That, of course, is something that should be very obvious from looking at the pictures of the original gown.
Not so obvious is the fact that the part that runs around the shoulders has to be padded on the inside (to achieve the "puffed" look on the shoulders), plus, as we know from the few exhibit photos that show the backside of the gown, that shawl is twisted once on the backside (exactly at center back).

The collar of the overdress has to stand, not 'lie`(or flop around or something, lol...) - particularly at the back of the neck.
This can easily be achieved by using VERY firm stabilizer, plus some boning, sandwiched between the inner- and outer layers of the collar.
It's really easiest to *pretend* to be sewing a corset instead of a collar when making this Wink

The front velvet tabard has to have the very same length as the skirt (which is pretty much exactly floor length). Otherwise it will constantly be dragged on the floor and you might even step on it. It's not a bad idea either to maybe secure that end to the skirt with safety pins.
Also, the two ends of the pleated "shawl" have to be a good bit shorter than the "tabard", to reveal the stamped (or painted) symbols on the lower edge of the tabard. All this, of course, is very obvious when looking at the photos of the original gown; just thought I should mention it Wink

The velvet cape part is, more or less, the shape of a 3/4 circle, otherwise it's too tight around the shoulders since it has to "spread out" from them, not just "surround" them.

If anyone has any more questions please do not hesitate to ask Smile
Maumi (Dena Maumi Curtis)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW love it!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my admiration for doing the accurate burnout- bravo!

However, I'm curious about the colour of your faux suede. Every reference I've ever seen is decidedly purple, and yours looks very much grey, with only a hint of blue. Is this something that is just photographing incredibly poorly?

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
You have my admiration for doing the accurate burnout- bravo!

Thank you! Burning out even that considerably small amount of velvet was hell, seriously. That was my own fault - if I had created a screen printing frame to apply the pattern, it would have been even more accurate (particularly in smaller details) and also faster, but I applied the fluid by hand with brushes, so burning out the entire skirt fabric took pretty long.

Quote:
However, I'm curious about the colour of your faux suede. Every reference I've ever seen is decidedly purple, and yours looks very much grey, with only a hint of blue. Is this something that is just photographing incredibly poorly?

So glad you're asking!
I've based my colors on the actual dress, not the movie costume.
Let me explain:
Usually, official photos are photoshopped (color adjusted as well as "prettified"); and scenes in a movie often ran through heavy editing (color- and lightning correction) during the editing.
If, for example, you look at the official photos of her dress, the velvet parts seem almost black, and in many of them you can't even see the stamped border pattern.

So I based mine on the exhibit photos.
Now, a camera, if focused on a 'mostly dark' object - and the dress IS mostly 'dark', meaning if it wasn't focused on the 'white' parts of the mannequin when taking the photo - the camera tends to "adopt" surrounding colors of the 'dark' parts to pretty much everything in the picture.
For example, if you compare this photo (copy and paste the links):
http://www.padawansguide.com/anarien/p16.jpg
to this one:
http://www.padawansguide.com/anarien/p6.jpg
you could get the impression that front and back of that overdress were made from differently colored fabrics - the first is VERY purple, the second basically shows no purple hue on the overdress fabric at all; BUT, opposed to the first picture, has parts of the white mannequin in it.
You can actually try that on some pieces of fabric - photograph them with and without 'something white' near the focus point in the picture; you'll usually experience the same effect (color "bleeding" if no white or near-white is present, that is).

So I based my colors on those exhibit photos that do, more or less, have 'the white of the mannequin' near the center of the picture - such as the "collar area" photos (pictures 2, 6 and 9 on this page to be precise), where the overdress is more or less "just grey", because I believe that this is the actual color of the overdress.
Granted, my overdress could have been a tad darker... but that's the closest match I found readily available.

Last edited by Naergi () on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually beg to differ with you on that one. Color is something I have to scrutinize very closely in my job, and while it is a shade of grey, it's definitely a shade of grey that has distinct purple undertones, which is obvious even next to the white of the dress form. This is only confirmed by the flash, which reveals the purple undertones even further. To call it "just grey" is missing the subtlety of colour of the garment.

Besides the colour choices, the construction and detailing here are superb. But the whole thing just reads way too blue to my eye.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Speechless. Another amazing work of art. The chemical work that you do scares me away from attempting these masterworks. The sewing is not so intimidating as all the processes that you have done. Do you have a large shop area for doing all this work or just garage space that you work in? Again beautiful work and thanks for sharing so many "trade secrets" with us.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
I would actually beg to differ with you on that one. Color is something I have to scrutinize very closely in my job, and while it is a shade of grey, it's definitely a shade of grey that has distinct purple undertones, which is obvious even next to the white of the dress form. This is only confirmed by the flash, which reveals the purple undertones even further. To call it "just grey" is missing the subtlety of colour of the garment.

Yeah, look. If you look at my first posting, in which I posted the rather LOONNGG dye odyssey for the silk velvet parts, you'll probably notice that I took quite a bit of effort to actually get the colors right - not just by dyeing the pieces again and again but also by photographing them under various light conditions to compare how the colors come across in those conditions.
If you actually read my first posting and noticed that I mentioned how this dress was done on an extremely tight budget, you'll probably be able to imagine how happy I was when I found a *suitable* (read: suitable; not necessarily "exactly matching", because I still think it could be a tad darker!) shade of suede for the overdress.
In other words, I'm rather happy with the outcome of all this. Besides, you will agree that the colors aren't completely wrong and that the costume is very recognizable compared to the original.

Quote:
Besides the colour choices, the construction and detailing here are superb. But the whole thing just reads way too blue to my eye.

To my eye it was too blue once during the dye process (and I posted a picture of that, too). Now it looks okay, IMHO; but that may be a result of my head imagining the original colors different from how you perceive them.
That's okay; people tend to perceive colors differently Wink

Ladyghost4459 wrote:
Wow Speechless. Another amazing work of art. The chemical work that you do scares me away from attempting these masterworks.

Oh, the 'chemical' parts (by which I guess you mean the silk velvet burnout and the epoxy resin brooches / headdress?) aren't really hard to do. Once you know how to do them, it's actually really simple. You just need a bit of practice and time Wink

Quote:
Do you have a large shop area for doing all this work or just garage space that you work in?

Uhmmm - no. My materials are stored in the basement, which is why there's no space down there to work.
Actually, the burned out silk velvet parts were done on my (plastic trash bag protected...) dining table, which they occupied for the entire time while I was painting the patterns.
I sew in my dining room too; my machine is on a small chest of drawers in there.
Cutting patterns and fabric is something I do in my living room on the floor. This is also where I pin the pieces to the dress mannequin to make them fit.
All the beading (Senate gown!) is done at either my computer or at the living room table while I watch TV.
And here's another shocking fact: I make all my resin parts in the kitchen, which is also where I store the epoxy resin components. In case you'd like to argue about safety of those chemicals in a kitchen, my son DOES know how to handle epoxy resin - after all, he made the epoxied resin parts of his Bail Organa costume by himself. He understands the advantages AND the risks of those chemicals; otherwise I wouldn't leave them in plain sight (and access) of him.

So you see, my costumes are indeed "home made".
All the fabrics, patterns, costume parts occupied my living room / dining room / kitchen and, occasionally, the hallway because there wasn't space elsewhere to cut out patterns for ten months before Celebration; occasionally to a point where I couldn't find stuff because they were buried under piles of materials intended for different costumes.
I'll admit that I'm STILL not done tidying up all those rooms now that Celebration is over.
And yes, I'm completely nuts Wink

Quote:
Again beautiful work and thanks for sharing so many "trade secrets" with us.

You're welcome Smile If you have any specific questions, just ask.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful craftmanship, as always!

First of all, love the attention to the skirt fabric! I don't have the room/facilities/self-confidence to do the burnout process myself and had to settle on a premade burnout myself. Also love the brooches!

I do disagree with the color choices, though. Of the exhibit photos I've seen (as well as the promo and screenshots), I think the sueded dress is much more of a lavender-purply undertone. I know mine is too purple, but that's something I have to live with for now.

The stenciling looks great on the pattern, but again, the up-close shots show a pinkish inking to them...if I'm not mistaken, are yours more grey/silver?

http://www.padawansguide.com/purplesenate_exhibit.shtml
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
Beautiful craftmanship, as always!

Thank you Smile

Quote:
I do disagree with the color choices, though. Of the exhibit photos I've seen (as well as the promo and screenshots), I think the sueded dress is much more of a lavender-purply undertone. I know mine is too purple, but that's something I have to live with for now.

Here, by the way, is an interesting picture I found which was taken of me and my dad at Celebration Europe.
This picture was taken using a flash in daylight. It's interesting how it looks "more purple" in this photo than in the ones that were taken outside without a flash (or inside with large windows in the hall's roof), isn't it?

Quote:
The stenciling looks great on the pattern, but again, the up-close shots show a pinkish inking to them...if I'm not mistaken, are yours more grey/silver?

I used two metallic paint colors - silver and purple - for the stamping and the brooches in varying blends.
For the stenciling, I mixed the colors 1:1, resulting in a purplish silver; and for the brooches, I mixed it 1 part purple and 4 parts silver, resulting in a way more silver color with few purple undertones.
My "Jedi Order hair decoration" is "just" silver.

By the way, I *think* that the stamping on the original gown wasn't actually done with paint, but by printing discharge paste to the velvet. I found that out when, while discharging my son's Anakin Travel vest, I accidentally dropped a bit of discharge paste on a scrap of the velvet I used for this dress. It discharges to a white/slightly purplish tone.
This is basically consistent with what we see in the extreme closeup of the stamped patterns on her cape and tabard - you can't see any "clumps of paint" on the velvet pile but just the velvet pile.
At that point however I had already stamped the pattern with paint to the dress, and since I can't exactly remove the paint, I can't do it the "discharge way" any more.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought I would pop in and mention that, as for the dress Padme wears, I have seen the actual costume, and whatever exhibit photos or promotional materials or whatever may lead you to believe, that thing is definitely purple. And I mean PURPLE. There's no way around it, the thing is as purple as Barney the Dinosaur's grape juice. And your costume is blue. It's that simple (and pretty too, it's my favorite color!). But really, what's the big deal? So the color is different; alright, so it's inaccurate. Yet the craftsmanship on your costume is exceedingly fine, and you did a wonderful job on it, so it is still a lovely interpretation. Now, I don't know if it should approved as formal because of the color scheme (I don't know how the standards work for anything besides Jedi), but at least as an informal costume it should naturally be accepted. I don't see how it wouldn't be; it is beautiful, and frankly I like blue more than purple anyway, so while it may be the 'wrong' color for the dress, it is definitely the right color for just being AWESOME. Which it is. Smile

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick preface before I start: I think we can all agree that Naergi is one of the best among us when it comes to construction, detailing, tip-sharing, and general awesomeness in pretty princess costuming. That is not, and as far as I can tell, never will be in question.

The reason we bring it up is mainly for approval purposes, and honestly, because the choice of different colours is so unlike someone so detail-oriented. And Informal approval is always at the mercy of the judge in question. The standards for this costume spell out specifically that the suede should be a medium purple, and the Royalty standards don't really have a lot of space left in them for informality- which is a completely different discussion again, and in my opinion it's one worth having, but it has little to do with this costume specifically.

In my opinion, not as a judge, but just as someone with a pretty good eye for colour, just changing the suede part out for a purple version instead of a grey one would do a lot to warm up this costume and make it accurate enough that no one would even think to question its approval. The velvet reads blue now, but color perception is relative and I think it would look less blue on a purple backdrop.

And Naergi, I totally get that it's less blue than it used to be, but sometimes when we come from something worse to something that's better, but still not quite there, we come to it with our own perception bias. For instance, I recently made a headpiece for a costume that I cut down substantially from its original version, but it has been rightly pointed out that it's still too big. My eyes just couldn't immediately see it because it was so much smaller than the old version! Sometimes the extra eyes really do help, and that's why I love that people here do epic build threads and make sure they get that kind of feedback. Smile

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really looks great! Very ambitious Naergi! My hat is off to you! It might just be the lighting, but this does look very blue/grey to me though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: