Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cd4498b731836ae4462a6d3d957de5fcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Flame Gown WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Void ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Flame Gown WIP Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm very new here but I've just started working on a handmaiden flame gown so I figured I should probably start a WIP to get advice along the way!

This is the first dress I've ever made -- I'm much more comfortable with armor -- but this seemed like a fun challenge. Plus we have an amazing Episode I Amidala in Southern California who might just let me follow her around if things go well haha. Cool

So far, with GentleBant's help, I've made... A SLEEVE! It's a red matte fabric, lined, and with an opening toward the hand which will close with hooks on the inner side of the arm. The seams need to be ironed, I think.

Ta-Dah! It was quite the engineering feat for me so I'm really proud, even though it's just a sleeve!

Sorry, terrible cell phone pics. :/

Next up, the hood!
Void ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the pattern for the red underhood. It's a complex shape that I can't seem to get right. Any advice?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I don't know this costume as well as Joslynn, but I always assumed that the under-hood is actually a knit fabric, which matches what you have on the sleeves (which look lovely so far). Otherwise, I imagine, it would be hard to get it to conform to the shape of your head and get it on and off easily.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Void ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am going to make my hood out of the same material I used for the sleeves. What I'm doing now is using some of that cheap patterning fabric to try to figure out the shape for the hood. It's so hard! On the images of the official gown I see only 2, maybe 3 seams -- but the way I am working on it I can't seem to figure out how they achieved that.

Crying or Very sad
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I'm doing the outer hood this time:

First put together how you want it to look out of whatever scrap fabric you have.
Get the fit, flare, etc., how you want it.

Afterward, chop the whole thing up along the lines you want it to have, and see what you have to work with then. Smile

Again, with the underhood, don't worry so much about getting it accurate as far as "how they did it", but concentrate on getting the finished look "right". No one but you knows how it's constructed, as most of it is hidden under the outer layers of the costume.

Sometime after this weekend, I'll try to pattern it out based on the pics I have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost done with the red under hood. Just need to add a snap at the bottom and ties in the back.

Derp.

Will snap here at the bottom so it fits around the chin correctly.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape looks great from the front when you pull it together where your snap will be. If you give the whole thing a good pressing with your iron, it will looks a whole lot snappier too.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this, the head piece looks great! Absolutely beautiful!

LCJ / GML - LMO 501st Legion - ALMO Rebel Legion
Void ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
The shape looks great from the front when you pull it together where your snap will be. If you give the whole thing a good pressing with your iron, it will looks a whole lot snappier too.

Yeah haha this is the first time I've sewn lining into anything (I'm new to this) and it does make everything pretty puffy!
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jenna said. Smile

Looking good so far! You will want to get the seams a little flatter, but the shape looks great.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your profile pic and can't wait to see more progress on this costume! So far so good!
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you started your dyeing yet?

I'm going to try and work on a "recipe" for the dye process. I've generally just done the "a little more of this, a little more water, add some more of that, oh, good!" method. I need to measure and record so I can remember from time to time what worked. It may be a ways off though, so if you're in a hurry, no worries.

However, if you've got time, it might be worth it to get some of us together and do a "dye party" sometime for consistency and uniformity.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
Have you started your dyeing yet?

I'm going to try and work on a "recipe" for the dye process. I've generally just done the "a little more of this, a little more water, add some more of that, oh, good!" method. I need to measure and record so I can remember from time to time what worked. It may be a ways off though, so if you're in a hurry, no worries.

However, if you've got time, it might be worth it to get some of us together and do a "dye party" sometime for consistency and uniformity.

Smile

No, i haven't started dying yet. Actually, I haven't purchased my velvet yet. I was looking around but could only find an accurate color in CRUSHED velvet.

I absolutely would want to have a dye party! I feel like I could finish this gown in a few days if I can just find the rest of my materials and some free time. I still need to put the applique on the sleeves, too. Does anyone have a close up image of the lace they used for theirs?

EDIT: Another question! What do you all use for the lining in the velvet? Does it have to be any specific fabric? Looks like a standard yellow polyester lining fabric to me.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard lining should be fine; you could go "luxe" and do a silk charmeuse, but that's completely up to you.
The gown I got to borrow had a beigy-sandy-gold tone to the lining.

I bought my silk velvet on eBay from syfabrics. I am hoping to either get someone to look for me or actually make a trip to the fashion district to scout for a better price, though, too.

Dye party!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying 3 yards of this yellow velvet.

http://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Velvet-Yellow-Inch-F-E-%C2%AE/dp/B00D3TJVAK/ref=sr_1_6?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1402014581&sr=1-6&keywords=velvet

I don't know a lot about fabrics, but it seems like okay material. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: