Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5e77d50f87605d83b5d59c725924badeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padmé or Sabé-confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloody87 (Karen Ravn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Padmé or Sabé-confusion Reply with quote

Okay, I don't know where to put this topic or if this topic has been discussed before, so I'm gonna take my chances...

I'm currently working on the Black Decoy, which is worn by Padmé's decoy Sabé in TPM. It still needs a lot work, but my question is this:

Say I'm participating in an event, where the rules dictate that you can only sign up with one costume, and only one of each face character costume is allowed, like only one Anakin Skywalker, only one Princess Leia, etc..

Is the Black Decoy gown considered a Padmé-costume only, or is it a hand maiden costume, too?

I have checked the costume standards of course, and the Black Decoy is to be found under Padmé Amidala-Skywalker costume standards. But why is it considered a Padmé-costume, when only Sabé is seen wearing it in TPM?

I hope that some of you out there can enlighten me.

Mr. Green
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good question. I would assume that since she is supposed to be disguised as QA, that it would be considered a QA costume. Same with the Battle Disguise.

Hmmmm, something to ponder.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was my first thought. But the Battle Disguise is listed as a handmaiden costume only, as far as I've checked. Which is something to ponder, indeed.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in practice, that's between you and the event organizers. Think about the narrative you can give to kids (and adults) about why there are two women who appear to be Padme. I feel like, a number of Sabe's decoy costumes are identifiable as Padme (because everyone thought that was Amidala in the movies), so if there isn't a Padme at your same event, I would say go ahead and call yourself Padme, as people are way more excited to see Padme than Sabe, usually.

When there's another Padme, talk it over with your event organizers and the other Padme and see if you guys can make it work that one of you is Padme and the other is Sabe. It's sort of a case-by-case thing.

That's how I would handle it anyway. I've taken my battle maiden to events with other Padme's, and when that happens, I call myself Yane. Otherwise, I'm Padme.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
I think, in practice, that's between you and the event organizers. Think about the narrative you can give to kids (and adults) about why there are two women who appear to be Padme. I feel like, a number of Sabe's decoy costumes are identifiable as Padme (because everyone thought that was Amidala in the movies), so if there isn't a Padme at your same event, I would say go ahead and call yourself Padme, as people are way more excited to see Padme than Sabe, usually.

When there's another Padme, talk it over with your event organizers and the other Padme and see if you guys can make it work that one of you is Padme and the other is Sabe. It's sort of a case-by-case thing.

That's how I would handle it anyway. I've taken my battle maiden to events with other Padme's, and when that happens, I call myself Yane. Otherwise, I'm Padme.

Yes, this. Amadalia
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what Jenna said.

When dealing with the public, it's as much perception as anything else. Especially with the make-up, people tend to assume the costumer is portraying Padme. So, even if one costume is only worn by Sabe, and someone else is wearing a different Padme gown, but both are in make-up, it can be confusing to people not completely knowledgeable about the characters.

Of course, wearing a Sabe decoy costume, you always get a handful of people who know you're the decoy, and a handful of people who think you're Princess Leia. Very Happy Nature of the game!

BTW, it doesn't help that in promo's and behind-the-scenes stuff, NP and KK wear costumes that they each didn't wear in TPM. Smile

BTW, years ago the Royal Handmaiden Society did a write-up about all the confusion. I know *we* all know the difference, but it was good to put out there:
http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/decoy_queen.html
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Joslynn ^ and I had this same ....uhhh issue? Just recently.

We are both participating in the same High Profile event coming up very soon. She owns a number of padmes and wants to troop in one at the same time I am in my Black invasion gown.

Technically Madam Portman wears this gown in all of the Promotional Materials.

So... your both, whatever works to your advantage I say!
Just think, your TWO characters! XD

If you really get into a situation where the POC says "no, we cant have two padmes" pull the "I'm Sabe" card? Cant hurt. Most POCs arent going to stress, even at the higher profile events. The reason that rule apply
is for your princess Leia and.. yeah Anakin (although so many people have generic anakins) haha!

In the 30 troops Ive used this costume in now, ive been "called out as the Decoy" 5 times. (no joke. only 5 times) It was ALL at conventions where you get that one guy who KNOWS your Sabe XD.

So take it from this girl in the Decoy gown, I hold my Anakins hand and act like im his lil wifey Amidala! XD

Trust me on this, when you have your gown it will be less of a concern than you think! Very Happy Do you have a ton of Padmes in your base that you troop with?

Have fun! Cant wait to see your gown!

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: