Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf40ac3c28a27db8671e938275f1977fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Building the Hoth Rebel Trooper hat - better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet there might be some folks watching this build thread and wondering if you will be selling some of those hats..

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
I'll bet there might be some folks watching this build thread and wondering if you will be selling some of those hats..

Wink

Good question Phyllis! Smile

Well. I can only wear one hat. I am hoping that one of these that I am building right now will end up fitting me. :p If they all turn out, then there will be some extra hats. Wink

I can tell that this one that I am building right now is too big for me. I do have a small-to-medium sized head. If there is some one interested and needs one, please do contact me.

I don't know if I will build any more any time soon, unless of course I get obsessed with building the perfect hat, then I make do another group out of a slightly different material (which I do not have at this time).

The fabric I am using now is what was left over from my HTT costume.
This is the fabric that I used to build my jacket, vest, belt, and backpack.
This fabric is best described as a light-weight stretch denim. I wanted to use my left-over of this fabric to make me a new pair of pants to wear with my snowtrooper armor, because it is the perfect weight for really nice pants. Alas, I did not have enough to cut out pants, so that is why I decided to try hats. I did buy the entire bolt of this fabric from Vogue and it was one of their designer over-runs, so I might never find this exact fabric again. But I know I can find something similar.

I can tell right now that if I do get another fabric, I will get something even lighter weight, because there are so many layers involved with building a hat. It gets nearly impossible to work with if the fabric is too thick.
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I wore my original Hoth hat a few times...it stretched and was too big for me and would fall in front of my eyes...

....so...
I just sewed a sleeve on the inside to make it smaller again...
worked great...

Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
After I wore my original Hoth hat a few times...it stretched and was too big for me and would fall in front of my eyes...

....so...
I just sewed a sleeve on the inside to make it smaller again...
worked great...

Very Happy

Smile

From the eye-witness reports and photos of the Finse, Norway hotel hat, I think that is basically what was done to the original SU hat to make it more adjustable.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reference picture (from ESB) clearly shows how the goggles strap fits through the flaps & tabs on the hat.

In this hat, the ear-com flap looks like it was sewn onto the upper back flap of the hat.

I am really convinced that these (contrast) flaps were an after-though and applied (or re-applied) after the rest of the hats were built.

The way I am making my "better" design version of the hat is to take this knowledge: that the placement of goggles strap needs to be accommodated into consideration, before the rest of the hat is completed.
With those 3 little back tabs placed so low, it causes the goggles to sit awkwardly on the hat and head. Having them placed at the seam line enables the strap to sit more naturally on the head while wearing the hat.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day #5 of working on this hat and it is nearly done! The new hat (#8 ) is at the bottom of this photo. I wanted to compare it to the other hats I made previously. Hat #1 is at the top of this photo. Hat #2 is on the left. Hat #6 is on the right. Hat #6 is the one that I am wearing with my costume. I decided to do one of the modifications on it yesterday, which was to cut the bottoms of the little straps loose from the hat and add velcro at the bottom of each little strap. That is done now and it makes it really easy to pat the goggles on the hat now! Smile

Here are the tops of all of the hats. The newest hat (#8 ) is pictured at the bottom.

Yesterday I hand-sewed down the double-fold bias fabric around the inside of the quilted back piece. I fitted the pieces oft he lining into the hat, then I sewed the lining together and fitted the construction inside the hat. Then I hand-sewed that in place.

Next, I will need to finish off these little straps on the back of the hat and add the velcro to the straps and to the outside of the hat. I will also add the velcro to the ear-com flaps. After I do all of that, this hat will be wearable.

Unfortunately (for me) this hat is way too big for me to wear. Sad
I measured the inside, and it is 24". I wear about a 22 3/4. So, now I will have a better idea of how big (small) to build the next hat attempt to make one that might fit me.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day #6 of the hat build got mostly side-tracked by needed to do some work on my HTT gaiters. I got back to work on building the next 2 hats later in the evening.

I made the hat bands of the remaining two hats a little smaller than hat #8.
I attached the bands to the crowns and then test-fit the front & back flap pieces to the hats. I ended up shortening both of the upper back flaps, so that the front flaps would fit correctly to these smaller hats.

THEN:

Here is the missing step from the previous hat build. Before I sew the contrast double fold strips onto the hat front flap pieces, sew this piece on. This is the one length of single fold bias fabric that I made. I have opened it out and pinned it in place at the upper edge. I sewed at the crease, then folded the bias fabric back over.....

...then I top stitched the bottom edge of the single-fold strip in place. The next thing that I will do is press & shape the double-fold bias strip pieces to fit the upper edge of these pieces, and sew those in place as I did for the previous hat.

There are at least 49 individual pieces that go into building each hat.
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol..
you are a costume "machine"..

Very Happy

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore my HTT costume all day at the the event yesterday (~noon - 8pm) with hat #7.

Now that I have road-tested this a little, I am thinking about more ways to make it better.

One issue that I have encountered from actually wearing the hat as intended, (with goggles & ear-com greeblie) is that the un-even weight has given me a slight neck-ache.
I am not sure right now what could be done to improve this, but I will be thinking about it while working on the next hats.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I just found this while researching other stuff:

Schph Gochi wrote:
ShVagYeR wrote:
As pointed out by KA-513 earlier in this topic, these hats look a lot more like Rebel Hoth hats than Imperial officer ones. Which makes a lot more sense if you asked me.

actually...
they are all similar and appear to be based on some very similar components...

Hoth Trooper Hats have a lot of components of the Imperial Hat ...

I think I know what I might be making next. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the Hoth hats for the time being.

This is the next step: open the double-fold bias fabric & pin in place on the top side of the front hat flap. Sew in place, then fold over the edge. I am going to hand-sew all of these pieces now.
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKvanB wrote:
I am really convinced that these (contrast) flaps were an after-though and applied (or re-applied) after the rest of the hats were built.
With those 3 little back tabs placed so low, it causes the goggles to sit awkwardly on the hat and head.

I doubt that it was an afterthought. On the one on display in Finse, the front bills are stitched over the top/front corners of the ear flaps. You can see it here on the right:

I think that the small flaps were designed to hold the strap when the goggles are worn over the eyes, just that they decided during filming not to wear the goggles that way very much.

TKvanB wrote:
In this hat, the ear-com flap looks like it was sewn onto the upper back flap of the hat.

The rear flap and the quilted part is the same piece on the real hat, so yes, that is true ... from a certain point of view. whistling
The "parts" are separated by a decorative stitch, not a seam between two parts. The back piece is attached to the inner cylinder by a stitch that goes along the edge of the edge tape.

BTW, the ribbon between the two front bills is attached only at the ends, and there are loose threads and frayed edges here and there.
Your hats are sewn more properly than the originals were. Laughing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johan! Smile

The way that the hats were made (and most other pieces used for filming the movies) were to look OK for the time that it took to film the scenes. I doubt that the any of the pieces were made to be worn and used for much longer than that.

I hope to be able to wear my costume pieces often and for many years to come. I build everything with that in mind. I build things to look great as well as be comfortable and to last for many years.

I did a lot more work on the other two hats yesterday. I got them put together to the point that I have a better idea of what size they will be.
One of the remaining two hats will still be too big to fit me, but the other one might fit me well.

I was ready to spend most of the day stuck at the unemployment office (which could be 3+ hours of sitting around waiting for my number to be called) I brought enough hand-sewing to last me over 3 hours and a 600-page book in case I finished all of that. Unfortunately (for my plans), I was in & out of the unemployment office in less than 30 minutes, so I did not get any of my sewing done there.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because these hat pieces are so thick, I had to hand baste the visors onto the hats. Here I am sewing stitches very close to where I want the seam to be.

This is what it looks like on the outside. There is still a gap at the sides, which I will sew closer.

Sometimes I needed to use pliers to pull my needle through. Here you can see the thickness of the visor. I want to add a lot of sturdiness to the visor and front hat flap so it will hold it's shape when the goggles are on the hat.

Here is the underside of the visor joined to the hat.

This is what it looks like on the outside before I ran it though my machine. I sewed over those stitches at the join, so you don't see them anymore.

Here are the 3 new hats as of this morning. I still need to finish the little straps on the backs of the hats and then sew on all of the velcro, otherwise these are done. The smallest one of these is still a tiny bit too big for me to wear. I will try to make that one work for me.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I will have to determine whether this hat is better.

It will be much easier to add & remove goggles.
It should keep it's shape much better while supporting the goggles.
It is finished as a piece of clothing and build to last.

I will need to see how these wear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: