Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3d0df2963c3fcebf2186cd6a888f2da6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ambassador (Senate Rep) JarJar Binks (Tutorial/WIP)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Ambassador (Senate Rep) JarJar Binks (Tutorial/WIP) Reply with quote

This is my Progress and Basic Tutorial on Ambasador Jarjar of the Galactic Senate.

Trying to nail down the colors for this costume was not so enjoyable. The detailing in the shoulders as well as the fabric materials is quite difficult. One of the most challenging parts was attaining the base outter robe material so that I could then build the rest of the costume off of that. I used that as reference to conform the costumes design off of so that the entire costume was not off thrown by one color being spot on in one light and the other color being spot on in another lighting situation.

The lighting in the room where JarJar sees Anakin and Master Obi-Wan again is not optimal. Complied with the “love” for JarJar people have and the lack of this costume being used anywhere else proved difficult to find adequate reference. Also the costume being made entirely from CG, it was not readily available in books like “Dressing a Galaxy” I compensated by using screen grabs from Ep 2 and slightly brightening the scene.

Without further ado....

REFERENCE IMAGES

.... and in case anyone was wondering..

Yes, Yes I did just post a Jar Jar costume ..... in the Senate Section.

*hehe* Amadalia Amadalia Amadalia Amadalia Amadalia Amadalia

THIS AREA RESERVED FOR MOCK STANDARDS
I digress this is BADLY written

1. Outter Robe consists of an ornate detailed designs, mostly consisting of smaller squares, in hues of yellows, rust, browns, yellows and blues. The robe has two long tabards in the front with an angled design of the same material. The back has an upside down V pattern in the material and the front is a straight angle. The robe is slightly shorter in the front and longer in the back, nearly draping the floor.

2. The Inner Robe is a Burgundy or Wine color. It has no colored design on it but is textured with a pattern of lines. The sleeves are billowing at the bottom in a bell shape and fold over at the arm crease and are detailed with a deeper wine trim. The lower bell portion is detailed with four burgundy wine lines wrapping around the arm. The Inner robe is long and flowing, it reaches the costumers ankles or lower

3. The necklace is a golden color and the four designs are consistent with the reference material, this includes the four designs to be of equal size, they are held on by a black or deep brown rope.

4. The bead work drapes off of the shoulders and around the back, the beads may consist of uneven mixtures of black, brown, amber, white, off-white, or colors in between. They are approximately 8 inch long strands and should be dense. 300 strands of beads minimum are needed to achieve the dense look around the shoulders and back.
The shoulder pads have two detailed bead designs of inner woven colors of brownish black and amber to brown. 2' wide minimum.

5. Latex Mask to achieve JarJars face is required. The mask should be of high quality and consistent with the reference. The Ears should billow and you should not be able to see the costumers face in any manner and the seams should be hidden.

6. Four fingered hands that are orangish red with Brown fingernails

7. Three Toed feet are large and painted orangish red constant with the rest of the costume. The toe nails are of a brown color matching the fingernails.

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic Structure
JarJar stands at 6'4, I am only 5'9 inches. The Mask I wear adds another 4 inches of Height. So to conform to Jarjars natural stature I purchased the tallest boots I could possibly stand in easily without falling. They ended up being almost 3 inches.
Total Height in costume: 6'3.5

Outter Robe
After hours upon hours of research I set out to try and buy the much needed fabric. The fabric on his robes is very strange, it appears to have very ornate tribal detailing with squares. The squares to me feel like the most important part of that material.

The BEST photo I have of Jar Jar by Far, I out lined the pattern on the right

The Material I used

My Mock Pattern showing direction and seam lines

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner Robe
The inner robe is quite lovely, it is a natural hue of Burgundy or Wine. It is detailed with 5 total lines of trim on each arm. Four on the Lower portion and One on the edging of the top. The bottom sleeve billows and the top sleeve drapes over the crease of the arm. I purchased 6 yards of a very nice upholstery fabric with simple lines. It was ultimately the closest material I could find consistent with the reference.

Necklace
The necklace I made from foam and Fiberglass resin. I detailed out the piece using my Dremmel then sanded then I painted using three coats of wood glue and finally resin after it had dried. To finish I spraypainted a wash and then painted the piece using acrylics. I purchased a deep brown necklace roping for the band.

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beads

This was the most time consuming and costly portion of the costume. I ended up having to hand string all of the beads. I ended up hand stringing 150 feet in beads to have enough for the shoulders. I used a mix of Amber, Black and Off-White Stones

I used alternating black and brown beads for the shoulder area, lining them back and fourth in a weave design consistent with the reference.

ORIGINAL

My first of MANY TRIPS to Joannes

Testing the Length

Progress with Shoulder Pads

Sewn down

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 6 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head

This was the hardest and yet the easiest part. Reason being is the one mask that I feel works for this costume, the issue is that the mask was not widely attained/sold. I managed to find a Don Post Mask. Appears to be very high quality, the ears are soft, large and floppy. It was made in 1999.
I blacked out the mouth hole and then closed out the small back seam using paint and material.

Hands

For the feet I managed to find a Four finger set of hands. They are green lantern hands for one of the characters.
I tightened the latex around the hands to conform to the proportion of the reference, Jarjar has small wrists and larger hands with brownish nails. I also tightened the latex so when I wear them they do not slip off.
I started with a Orange wash of Acrylic paint, then I allowed that to dry and detailed the entire hands including the fingernails.

Originals Non Painted

Base Paint

Feet

I purchased an “Oversize” set of feet. I then slid them onto a pair of 2.5 inch tall boots. I cut and tightened the latex. This will also help with the much needed height needed to attain the stature of JarJar
I cut the two end toes off leaving only the three largest toes which were most consistent with the reference of jarjar.

Originals

Cutting off two toes and reinforcing Latex

Just before painting

Done

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN-COSTUME IMAGES

Video of Walk Cycle ETC

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Neolilangel/media/Neolilangel022/20140106_132151_zps66490e26.mp4.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Neolilangel/media/Neolilangel019/20140106_132546_zpse63f0ea4.mp4.html

SUBMISSION PHOTOS

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!! Smile

I don't care what anyone says...I love Jar Jar! Wink

Very incredible work!

I was curious if anyone would ever do Jar Jar's ambassador costume. I know we have a Legion Member who has the Phantom Menace costume, but I've never seen this one done before. Well done Dawn, this is amazing work! Smile
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great improvisation with materials! It is such a difficult costume to perfect because of the CGI nature of Jar Jar. I assume you've seen the shots of the guy who played him as a stand-in to give the other actors reference. I think they used a couple shots of his hands (getting electrocuted before the pod race) rather than CGI. If you can nail the walk and movements (costume willing) of Jar Jar it will look even more amazing! Great job!
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great improvisation with materials! It is such a difficult costume to perfect because of the CGI nature of Jar Jar. I assume you've seen the shots of the guy who played him as a stand-in to give the other actors reference. I think they used a couple shots of his hands (getting electrocuted before the pod race) rather than CGI. Great job!
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, and just for future reference if you have or can find someone with the limited edition of Dressing a Galaxy then one of the extra booklets in it is just about the CGI costumes, including this one.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much you guys!!! *hugs*

I am going to do the Hugh Rez images today with the costume on me looking perfect and submit. *crosses fingers*

Yeah Jar Jar is so fun! My best friend in the Legion does an AMAZING Anakin so I always joked about doing a Jar Jar and being the match pair of "most Loved" Star Wars Characters in the Galaxy. I can not WAIT To get some photos with him XD

Walk Cycle
Yes! This is something Ive spent awhile now researching, as the CGI is very hard to replicate (in just about every way), on top of his looking so cartoony. Ill post me in the costume walking later and see what you guys say XD!

Things I figured out is

1. he is bow legged
2. He walks quickly
Because...
3. His gate is VERY SHORT, he has to step 2x for every single one step of Quai-Gons for example.

Limited Edition of Dressing the Galaxy you say??? I assume that the "best" photo I have of Jar Jar (the one above) is the photo from it. *lays down bucks* where do I get this Book?! MUST FIND NOW!

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beyond awesome!

Where did you find that fabric???
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!

...I about cried with happiness in the Aisle when I found it at...... are you ready?

Joannes.

hahahaha XD I found the Mask AND the Material only a few days apart.. its like it was meant to be Roger. XD

PadmeSkywalker (Carrie Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job!! Although I am not a huge fan of Jar Jar, I still don't mind him...as he kinda grows on you Smile
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure - Jar Jar to me, represents everything that is wrong w/ the PT, but your costume and your efforts are AMAZING!!!!!!!! Jedi

For the Senate, For the Republic!

Last edited by Daddy Solo () on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: