Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=71c88f3bf9620150e6c236adb907366cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What is a "screen accurate" SG costume??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: What is a "screen accurate" SG costume?? Reply with quote

***PIC HEAVY***
Hey all, after being formally approved as first an EpIII SG:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=8704&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

then as EpI/II

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=8854&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

and re watching the films and studying screen grabs, I have come to the conclusion that the color most of us have been using for our outer robes (royal blue) may not be as accurate as I originally thought. In addition, you can clearly see that several details differ as well from guard to guard (ie gloves tucked into sleeves/ sleeves tucked into gloves, overall tucked into boots/ boots worn under overall, robes to the floor/robes hemmed at the ankle). What is really puzzling to me is how different the robe color looks under different lighting- from dusty blue to more of a royal/navyish blue.

I'd love people's input as to what they think is the most accurate color of velvet to use for a new set of robes. I've even found a few fabric samples online that I think match better than what I've used thus far. Below are pics of the fabric that I think is close as well as many screencaps of the Guards to be used at your discretion. Discuss

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP - anyone have any thoughts on this or advice they'd like to share?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre- SW Mythbusters special BUMP!

44 views and no one has an opinion? Crying or Very sad
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do my bit when I get home from work tonight but I did reply to your post over on Forcepike!

Will be back later! Very Happy
TK IAIN (Iain Hamilton)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home at last (I really need to win the lottery).

Anyhoo! I really cannot add anything other than what I said over on Forcepike for this one. Any slight difference in lighting throws the colour argument out of the window.

My tuppence worth is that the colour you found- Jewel Blue is an extremely good match to what was seen on screen and if you are planning on getting new robes made I wouldn't have any problems in accepting them for possible clearance.

Like I said over on FP the only real way to settle this once and for all (and indeed any costume from the SW universe) would be to get a reply from LFL/Disney.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of these robes in person, the blue is more of a "dusty" blue, and it entirely depends on the lighting. The reason the standards say more of a royal blue is because it would be easier [universally speaking] for people to seem uniform than for people to try and match the weird "dusty blue sometimes, royal blue sometimes" expensive fabric LFL used.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and a side note. I would NOT recommend stretch velvet for a robe. Ever. Never.

Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Oh, and a side note. I would NOT recommend stretch velvet for a robe. Ever. Never.

Thanks guys for your input (especially you Iain Wink ). It's very much appreciated. Forgive my ignorance, but why not stretch velvet?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ! I think that more important, is that you choose also compared to the color of your helmet paint. To get the better match between the helmet and the fabric color. And also, had you the possibility to directly see the fabric ? Pics can be giving a wrong idea depending on the light.
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've worked with stretch velvet, there is a "bounce" when you walk and not really a good hang. The seams also tend to have issues with bunching/not laying right.
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Hi ! I think that more important, is that you choose also compared to the color of your helmet paint. To get the better match between the helmet and the fabric color. And also, had you the possibility to directly see the fabric ? Pics can be giving a wrong idea depending on the light.

Thanks so much for you reply! It's great to hear from a fellow SG. AFAIK, the helmet and the robes are not supposed to be the same color, so I'm not sure why should that matter? I haven't had a chance to see any fabric samples of the darker blue velvet yet, but I have my people working on getting me some swatches Wink What color are your robes btw? they appear to be a more darker blue that the Royal blue from Syfabrics that I used.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/100--Cotton-Med-Light-Weight-Velvet/Royal-Blue-Cotton-Velvet-56-/3764/258
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Radiance wrote:
When I've worked with stretch velvet, there is a "bounce" when you walk and not really a good hang. The seams also tend to have issues with bunching/not laying right.

Ahhhhhhh. That makes sense. Thanks for explaining
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting does do screwy things to colors, and I think velvet is one of the more volatile. While it is possible that there were a couple different colors of velvet involved, it could also just be one color in different lightings.

If you wanted to be really scientific about it, get swatches of the various colors you are considering and take photos of them with and without flash in various lightings. What you see in person with your own eyes and what the online fabric stores show you may turn out looking different.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
TK IAIN (Iain Hamilton)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what Jenna has said!.

I know I am repeating myself a bit here (sorry folks) but depending on the light my robes go from blue (strangely enough! Surprised ), to green to a deep black and those are from pics taken all over the country, and at one troop. It is really maddening at times but unfortunately there's diddly squat we can do about it. Just take another look at those reference pics you supplied and those where from some mega expensive movie camera's.

I guarantee that you will end up pulling your hair out over this one and you will answer no end of questions from folk asking why your robes are green, black etc,etc.
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE*****

I managed to source a velvet from SY fabrics that seems to match the on-screen colors much better IMO.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/100--Cotton-Med-Weight-Velvet/Patriot-Blue-Med-Weight-Cotton-Velvet/4771/449

I received a sample of it this week and it even manages to change appearance under different lighting conditions similarly to the way the movie version does. Once I receive it, my seamstress and I will be having another go at a new set of robes, so we'll see how they compare to my current royal blue ones. If anyone's interested, I'll keep ya posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: