Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9009645fc388d3767f79f54091aae670Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Additions to the Already Excellent OWK Ep. III Belt Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLCJedi (Josh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Additions to the Already Excellent OWK Ep. III Belt Tutorial Reply with quote

Here is a few bits on how I made my OWK Ep.III belt. I used SithariRog's tutorial as a base. Everything I used was from Tandy Leather Factory as well as SaberBelt's new buckle. I made everything except the food capsules which were purchased from Civilized Galactic Gear to save myself a little time. I will be making the leather pouch and I have a set of SithariRog's boxes on the way.

Here are a couple of over-all shots in my jammies since the rest of the costume is in-progress. Sorry for the crappy, low light cell phone pics. This Jedi doesn't have good photographic gear.

The changes I made from the tutorial were mostly in the way the inside belt secures in the back, an uncut/complete outer belt, and the use of another Sam Brown stud to secure the inner belt instead of snaps. I also did all of the cutting and hole punching before the dying, sealing, and conditioning. I went with the sealer and conditioner in lieu of the polish. The use of a reversed single Sam Browne stud and a set of holes that can be concealed by he outer belt made it adjustable without showing the adjustment method. The changes I made were in the name of adjustability as well as the advantage of the SaberBelt buckle having a functional latch mechanism that made it possible. The change in the rear keeper is also slightly more screen accurate if we are splitting VERY fine hairs. Although I need to paint them to match the belt for further accuracy. The keeper and the 12 layers of fabric also shield my back from the stud, so it doesn't poke at my spine like you would think by the pics.

I also wanted to add to the way I measured and made a template for the Sam Browne studs so that I got them right the first time as far as the spacing for the width of the inner belt. I am a machinist by trade as well as having been a fabricator, so I have decent spatial thinking as well as a digital caliper handy. I measured the smaller belt with the studs on either side, outside-to-outside. I rounded to 1.050” since I'm not building aerospace parts at the moment. Smile I then divided that by two so I could work with one side of the center-line of the belt at a time. I subtracted the radius of the base of the studs (rounded to 0.040”) to get to their center point from the center-line of the large belt at 0.325”. Due to the rounding of numbers they could be slightly closer together, but this is pretty darn close for a first shot.

This bit gets confusing as I am far from a wordsmith. I then made a center mark centered in between the adjustment stud and it's hole to locate the front of the belt while being worn, where the buckle sits. I then divided that half waist measurement by 3 to get where the studs go. This places everything (secure point in the back, studs, and buckle) all evenly spaced. This seemed to be as screen accurate as I could deduce from the pics. However, it made space too tight on the left to get the covertec clip, small box, and capsules all in between two sets of studs. I had to move the front two sets of studs an inch towards the buckle to fit the box on the left properly. At least the empty holes will be small and covered by the covertec clip and food capsules. I may have to move them again slightly when I get the pouch and boxes, but it looks like they should work.. I may be narrower in the waist than Ewan, so the spacing needs to be adjusted. So it would behoove a belt-maker to have his hardware in-hand and get that spacing ahead of time and plan appropriately before punching holes.

Here are a few pics of molding the various bits.

The small belt keepers are contact cemented together in the back. The buck in the middle is just two pieces of the outside belt leather to get the spacing in the middle correct.

This is how I molded the rear keeper. There is two pieces of the inner belt leather in the middle with a piece of the outer belt leather in between the top two layers to mold the relief for the outer belt. The two pieces of leather on top are also to help mold the relief.

Everything for the rear keeper being pressed by a couple of clamps to a table. Yes, that is a butcher's knife on top. It was the largest flat piece of metal I had around.

Here is the rear keeper on the belt showing the layers. The flash washed out the red tint in person.

A few more pics of the buckle and rear set-up for illustrative purposes.

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking GREAT!!!

The only thing to check....I believe the closure system (the back keeper, in this case) shouldn't have the snaps visible (for OWK)...not sure though. If so...for your application pics, it looks like all you need to do is turn the keeper around so the snaps are on the "inside" and are, therefore, not visible Wink Either way, it's not a deal breaker.

Last edited by EeanLedgor () on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe obiwan's snaps ARE visible @ the back of the keeper, they are just darker in color Wink

http://www.padawansguide.com/c3/o5_med.jpg

your belt looks great. nice work.

-===-

edit: here is another shot of the belt keeper, using a screenshot for reference (as opposed to an exhibit display). Wink

http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-13131.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-14219.jpg

unlike anakin* and other jedi, the snaps for OWK are indeed displayed on the outside of the belt-keeper. Wink

-===-

* here is a shot of anakin's belt-keeper for comparison: anakin's snaps are NOT visible.
http://i2.wp.com/screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-12732.jpg

Last edited by sze-wan () on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SLCJedi (Josh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, everything I saw has the snaps on the outside, although mine look a little larger than screen shots. I just need to find a brown color that closely matches the belt and will stick. I will likely have to scuff the snaps pretty good.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ the screencaps from the film show 'silver' like yours *shrug* only the museum display shows dark-color snaps.

I would trust the movie, more than the exhibit. your belt looks great Wink cheers.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visible rivets/snaps are correct and accurate for Obi:

Dave
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be sure to add that detail to the costume standards for OWK ROTS!

Thanks Very Happy

But I would add...from giving this some thought...I can't imagine denying an otherwise exceptional costume over having snaps/rivets (or what ever they're to be called) on the wrong side. It should probably be worded as a suggestion for those who want ultimate screen accuracy Wink
SLCJedi (Josh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show screen caps over displays as I was going a little off of the museum pics. And ya, seems like a good "suggestion" for the detail freaks and not a requirement since it's not a prominent nor defining feature.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
We'll be sure to add that detail to the costume standards for OWK ROTS!

Thanks Very Happy

actually, if you could add some of these pics to the obiwan reference page here,
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53233 that would be very helpful

the page had no reference for the back of the belt, and it took me a long while to find these frames LOL Razz
(updating the archive would just save time for others, seeking rear-view shots of the belt Wink).

(like, maybe crop this one down to 'just' obiwan, it's probably the best shot, of the ones I could find?)
http://i1.wp.com/screencaps.us/200/5-starwars3/full/starwars3-movie-screencaps.com-14219.jpg

cheers.
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
actually, if you could add some of these pics to the obiwan reference page here,
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53233 that would be very helpful

Added a couple!
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
Master-LazyBear (Louis)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic belt! I'm new here, and this post says that this is in addition to an already an existing OWK Ep.III belt tutorial. Where can I find that? Can you post a link?

I found the great generic Jedi belt tutorial on here, but I can't seem to locate the OWK EpIII specific tutorial you mention.
Thanks. Very Happy
SLCJedi (Josh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48452
airwolf_2001 ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Question on your belt keeper Reply with quote

Did you wet the leather before molding the keeper?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: