Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=481dd8b42c52d5729ccff059c48c53aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A question about light sabers...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atraangelis ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: A question about light sabers... Reply with quote

I have been researching the light sabers on ebay and elsewhere and i have some confusion.

is the Force FX saber the only one recommended?

Are all force FX sabers built the same with removable blades?

Any advice or direction to a thread with details of my options would be appreciated.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only a small fraction have removable blades.

there was a company called "Master Replicas" who create the force-FX lightsaber for lucasfilm.
they made 12 star wars models (excluding variants), and one lord of the rings model.
NONE of these have removable blades.

after 5 years, the company refused to renew their star wars license with Lucasfilm,
(thinking they would make "Marvel" replicas and "James Bond" replicas instead),
and so Lucasfilm gave the "force-FX" license to Hasbro.

Hasbro continued production on 9 of the 12 models from Master Replicas..
later, they added 4 new models which Master Replicas had already designed, but had not yet produced..
and finally, at a loss for new ideas, they released few select hilts, with "removeable blade".

as far as I know, only "darth vader" , "luke skywalker", "Obi-wan", and "kit fisto" are available with removable blades.

the rest all have static blades built into the hilt.

in general they are not considered "toy" lightsabers, and they are all acceptable, at least for generic jedi.
topherhunter ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can build or buy non-canon sabers from various sources, most of which are listed in the guides here. You don't have to go with MR or FX if you're not doing a named face character.
Atraangelis ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so in my case i want the removable blade,

IS it frowned upon costume wise to have a saber that belongs to a named character? Should the form be modified to simply make it generic or not similar to the named Characters saber.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I use a Vader saber with my Darth Nihilus and I have seen quite a few "named" sabers in the hands of generic Jedi. I do not personally think it matters which saber you have.

However, there are some great tutorials on the web for making your own saber using PVC pipes, sink fittings, and other hardware store items that you might want to look into if you want a custom saber.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check out, Ultrasabers if you are looking for a generic Jedi saber. I use them and love them. They are bright, durable, and great quality. They can get costly depending on which hilt you get and what features you want.
Landeaux (Paul Land)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Custom Saber Shop is a good site for building lightsabers. They have separate parts so you can design your own. There is a lightsaber section in the forum here you can check out if you haven't already.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=610
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the lightsabers we think of as unique to a face character, are not unique in the films at all.

take Anakin's lightsaber for example:
in ROTS we see three different lightsabers with the same hilt.
- Anakin has one, of course
- When Obi-wan fought Grievous, Grievous had a green blade with anakin's identical hilt.
- Grievous also had a blue blade in the same duel, with the same "anakin" hilt.

(indeed, Grievous also had an identical saber to Obi-wan's, in the same duel -- one of his 4 sabers was the exact same make/model as Obi-wan's own lightsaber --
the movie sees these 2 "identical" lightsabers physically clash against each other (!) thus proving that Obiwan's lightsaber was not unique to his character).

(Grievous also had a ki-adi-mundi saber; this one was not unique either; etc).

Apparently lightsabers are like cars. Wink You might think your silver porche is unique..
but there are a thousand other boxters exactly like it.
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recommend the vintage MR & first version Hasbro Force-FX sabers due to their non-removable blades

Just bear in mind that the 4 Hasbro models that have removable blades are proprietary blades that have to be purchased from Hasbro {if they offer them} in the event of a breakage (I seriously dislike blades that have LEDs inside them to begin with...).

Anything UltraSabers or TCSS will involve LEDs in the hilt, which imho should be the way to go...

Let's break this down a bit further with this question: are you looking for just a prop belt-hanger, or one just a 'stunt' hilt w/ just a lit blade, or are you wanting to go the Full Monty w/ lights and sound effects??

It's obviously gets more expensive with the more bells & whistles you want...

i.e. UltraSabers can inexpensively sell you a [belt-hanger plus] 'stunt' saber w/ no sound, but the moment you add their sound board and other options the price increases dramatically {don't even ask me about their new Emerald LED controller...}

If you custom-build & go the TCSS route, your saber price can vary wildly based upon the parts and options you choose for yourself. IMHO their sound options (Nano Biscotte & Petit Crouton) are significantly better that the Obsidian from UltraSabers...

Food for thought, my Padawans...
RAID XO & CO 2012-2013
Ra Kura BMO 2011-2012

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
Atraangelis ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW thanks for the feed back,
Most likely will start with an inexpensive FX with removable blade.

I can see me getting an Ultra, those are within my budget.

But the TCSS.. out of my league. I could not find on their site, do they have any pre-built??
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atraangelis wrote:
WOW thanks for the feed back,
Most likely will start with an inexpensive FX with removable blade.

I can see me getting an Ultra, those are within my budget.

But the TCSS.. out of my league. I could not find on their site, do they have any pre-built??
They currently do have a couple of pre-built sabers on the site for sale here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/classifieds.php Those may be out of the price range for most Legion costumers, however. Look to see more, shall I say, affordable ones to be added in the future, though. Wink

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atraangelis wrote:
Ok so in my case i want the removable blade,

IS it frowned upon costume wise to have a saber that belongs to a named character? Should the form be modified to simply make it generic or not similar to the named Characters saber.

No, it's not frowned upon. I carry an Obi-Wan ROTS Hasbro Force FX with removeable blade for both of my Jedi costumes. I've made no modifications to it, it's straight out of the box (ok, I did remove the ugly bright yellow warning stickers that were all over it).

So it's ok to use face character sabers, as long as the blade color meets the standards (no red Vader or red Maul sabers). It's up to you if you want to modify a face character saber or not to make it look different.

Or, as many above have posted, there's lots of ways to make your own unique saber! (I only carry an Obi-Wan ROTS because, well, I like that saber. And it was in my price range at the time for a saber with removeable blade, light and sound.)
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrasabers are great. They range from ~$70 for an Initiate or Grab Bag saber without sound, to $500+ for a double bladed with sound or a saber with sound, flash on clash, and the new Emerald driver. Either way, the blades are removable and they're solid metal, so they'll look great. Ultrasabers also sells Covertec clips to hang these on your belt, too. I am very happy with mine, and so is my brother. Here's our sabers:

Bellicose, Shock LE with illuminated switch, Dark Prophecy, Initiate V3.

picture taken during the day in indirect sunlight- the true colors are what reflects on the carpet, top to bottom: Consular Blue (prequel Jedi blue), Pyrestone (a "Sith red-orange", I believe it is not considered acceptable for RL), Fire Orange (more of a flame yellow-orange in person), Sunrider's Destiny (teal).

Same Stunt Initiate from above, halfway customized with metal leaf and paint. Very Happy
phizz ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just seen the store here locally has hasbro ones for sale for $30. Pretty cheap alternative but you can't beat the aluminium makers for looks.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the $30 "ultimate-FX" from hasbro are never accepted. they are considered "toy" sabers.

Quote:

in general they are not considered "toy" lightsabers, and they are all acceptable, at least for generic jedi.

I only meant this as it applies to the "Master Replicas" Force-FX,
and the "Hasbro Signature" Force-FX.

the "Ultimate-FX" line of plastic sabers for $30-$50 are not an alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: