Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=61239a6fc591e863ce70eaab7d1b14b7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Purple Senate Gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Padme Purple Senate Gown Reply with quote

Well, I've technically sort of been working on this for a while, since I had a couple of unexpected very long plane trips to visit my homelands in the midwest. But I've been gathering supplies for years, until I could find the perfect flame velvet. Which lo! I finally found in the fashion district (thanks KayDee!).

The only drawback is that it has a polyester backing, so it is going to be a paaaaaain to dye that much velvet. My current plan involves a giant stock pot for boiling purposes, and probably cutting all the pieces prior to dyeing. Which, actually, is pretty much what I always do in my teeny tiny apartment anyway, so there's nothing new there.

Still, this is the exact same stuff used in Jenna's Clone Wars Padme, so it dyes up pretty nicely:

A little more reflective than I want, but in the battle of having silk velvet versus having the accurate pattern, accuracy is winning. I can always upgrade later, right? This fabric is actually dirt cheap, so I don't terribly mind the expenditure. And I might be able to convince the fabric store to get me a silk version when I have a job again.

The brooch is kind of a story of being done when terrible things happen- I started this for one unexpected flight home for a funeral, and finished it on a second funeral trip, which was made even longer by virtue of being held up extra long due to yesterday's shooting at LAX. However, I'm pleased to be able to say that something this pretty and sparkly came out of those bad experiences.

It's sewn on to a heavily interfaced scrap of silk cotton I had in my fabric bin, and I'm really pleased with how it came out. Right now I'm working on affixing it to some worbla.

My next step, since I'm digging this idea of getting all the embroidery finished, is patterning, but I need to know the width of the fabric I'll be using before I start digging into that too enthusiastically.

A couple of years ago, when Jenna was living in India, I had her look for some silk for this costume. What she brought back was this incredibly gorgeous indigo blue/purple dual weave silk that frankly, I can't even photograph how intense the color is. I love it, but I worry if it's a little too intense, so I'd love some feedback from the other costume judges.

Shown with the brooch for color comparison:

And another shot, in hard midday light off the apartment balcony:

It is actually quite purple, more in some lights than in others. My unemployment budget would really like for this to be acceptable, but I'll understand if it's not. I'm kind of hoping that the deep purple of the coat will offset it. I know that I could technically dye it, but I'm hesitant to dye such a beautiful fabric, and I don't want to do all that embroidery if the fabric is no good.

But yes, thoughts on the fabric would be helpful, because it's only a meter wide, so I'd have to pattern differently for it than any other standard fabric.

In any case, my ultimate goal is to have this finished before Celebration VII, which with all that embroidery, it just might take that long, haha. The brooch itself was about 15 hours, so I clearly have a lot of work ahead of me on this one.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your brooch looks lovely all finished like that! The silk is definitely a bluer purple than the brooch though, so more than if the silk color is exactly right, I think that will depend on how much in the same color palate you dye your velvet.

However, I can't give you a definitive answer on the color of the fabric, LCJ as I am, as I'm the biased individual who bought the fabric for you in a slightly too dark color. Embarassed

I should have bought that place out of all of its silk....

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the brooch! It is beautiful.

I think the fabric is very close but I am not an LCJ.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
I should have bought that place out of all of its silk....

Quoted for truth. What I didn't mention in my first post was that the seven meters of silk she bought me cost a grand total of $7. I knew silk would be cheaper where she was shopping, but I didn't expect it to be that cheap...

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's hard to say without seeing it with the other fabrics.

I'm working on this one too. I've been at it for 3 years already. I really need to get back to it and finish it.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job this far, that broach is just STUNNING

Understandably so the Original image was shot under different lighting for sure than yours. But just in case to show you what could potentially look like when done (if your dye job on the velvet jacket is the same as the original gown)

I took the original image and I took a couple of mid tone color grabs from your fabric you got. If what you say that yours is even brighter and more vibrant than what you posted it might be a touch to "bright"? What do you think?

What I feel is that the Original gown has this "Grey tone / plum" feel.
That purple material is Amazing btw. Depending upon how you dye the rest would it even be an issue? I can't say for sure. Its lovely none the less.

Wonder if you could dye it if it comes down to it?

Hope this helps!!

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Dawn, it's great to see you with that LCJ badge- well deserved!

Second, that photoshop is actually really helpful, in that I think I'm going to go with another fabric, haha. Dharma sells a rayon satin that I think will be perfect for this, and I can dye it to the correct shade. I have plenty of dress patterns for everyday wearable clothes that will work beautifully with the silk I have.

I'm not flush with cash at the moment, but maybe I can get enough to do the tabbard/sleeves/bodice embroidery, once I have a mockup. I just have to keep careful track of my dye recipe, but that's not hard.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us post on your build progress. I'm looking forward to seeing it. This isn't a costume that will happen quickly but it will be worth all the work and wait for sure.
Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could try and dye the silk?
If you overdye it with a light to medium gray, that would tone the bright purple down.
I wouldn't go for satin for those parts. Satin, particularly rayon satin, is just too shiny. If anything, try taffeta. I used polyester duchess satin, which is way less shiny than regular satin (and also much more stiff).
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not dyeing this silk. It is too damn gorgeous to ruin by dyeing it. I'd rather find new fabric for this costume, than to dye over this stuff. That's how pretty it is in real life, haha. Obviously I'll get swatches of anything before I commit, and check out the fashion district for good deals. There's a silk shop there that always gives me good prices because I buy so much from them, heh. This dress would be no exception, if they had what I needed....

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case... ask for Duchess silk ;-)
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Medals: 5 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs* Thank you sooo much! Now just to do a GOOD job will be good enough for me!!! None the less thank you SO MUCH for your kind words, its great folks like you that keep me so enthused about the Legion and everything we have to offer.
Dharmas materials are just BEAUTIFUL! They offer quite the array of colors.
I was hoping that PS would help! A good photoshop job does wonders XD I am such a visual person, it takes longer for me to explain things sometimes than it does to just photoshop it and see! hehe

..I absolutely hear you on the "not wanting to dye it" frankly this kind of stuff is NOTHING new to me. I do this to myself all the time, I try and figure out where to use something else where then I end up with a HUGE pile of unused cloth! Very Happy *loves cloth*

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: